Shimano 8 speed thumbshifters available?

Old December 29th 11, 01:53 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Sir Ridesalot

Default Shimano 8 speed thumbshifters available?

I want to get a pair of simple inexpensive Shimano 8 speed indexed
*THUMB SHIFTERS*. I do not want the dual lever shifters that came out
after. Does Shimano still make 8 speed index thumbshifters? I tried
Google but only got links to ridiculously price items.

Thanks and cheers
Old December 29th 11, 02:07 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
kolldata

On Dec 28, 6:53*pm, Sir Ridesalot wrote:
I want to get a pair of simple inexpensive Shimano 8 speed indexed
*THUMB SHIFTERS*. I do not want the dual lever shifters that came out
after. Does Shimano still make 8 speed index thumbshifters? I tried
Google but only got links to ridiculously price items.

Thanks and cheers

try UNiVERSAL CYCLES IN Portland
Old December 29th 11, 05:00 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Chalo

Sir Ridesalot wrote:

I want to get a pair of simple inexpensive Shimano 8 speed indexed
*THUMB SHIFTERS*. I do not want the dual lever shifters that came out
after. Does Shimano still make 8 speed index thumbshifters? I tried
Google but only got links to ridiculously price items.

Shimano never made true 8sp thumbshifters, but the 7sp Deore/Deore XT
thumbshifters had a "secret" seventh click that allowed late-1980s
bike dorks to overhang an 8th sprocket on the rear cluster and have 24
speed bikes ahead of everybody else. They could still be used that
way with unmodified Campagnolo or Sachs 8-speed clusters, or a
Shimano 7 speed cassette on an 8-speed body with an extra sprocket
and spacer thrown on.

Microshift 8-speed thumbshifters should be not too horribly priced, if
you can find any. No friction option, but otherwise a nice-looking
design.

Chalo
Old December 29th 11, 05:47 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
AMuzi

Sir Ridesalot wrote:
I want to get a pair of simple inexpensive Shimano 8 speed indexed
*THUMB SHIFTERS*. I do not want the dual lever shifters that came out
after. Does Shimano still make 8 speed index thumbshifters? I tried
Google but only got links to ridiculously price items.

Thanks and cheers

IRD shift mounts with Shimano BarCon-8 (SLBS64)

http://interlocracing.com/shifters.html

--
Andrew Muzi
www.yellowjersey.org/
Old December 31st 11, 03:23 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
landotter

On Dec 28, 11:00*pm, Chalo wrote:
Sir Ridesalot wrote:

[...]

The new Microshift thumbies coming on 2012 Surly bikes look great.
Haven't seen them for sale by themselves. If they make an 8 speed
version, I may never want for another shifter.
Old December 31st 11, 08:43 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Chalo

landotter wrote:

Chalo wrote:

Microshift 8-speed thumbshifters should be not too horribly priced, if
you can find any. *No friction option, but otherwise a nice-looking
design.

The new Microshift thumbies coming on 2012 Surly bikes look great.
Haven't seen them for sale by themselves. If they make an 8 speed
version, I may never want for another shifter.

I have been thinking along the same lines. The Microshift website has
part numbers for 8, 9, and 10-speed versions.

They would be too expensive for me if I have to buy a Pugsley to get a
pair!

Chalo
Old January 4th 12, 09:44 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Hank

On Dec 29 2011, 9:47*am, AMuzi wrote:
Sir Ridesalot wrote:
I want to get a pair of simple inexpensive Shimano 8 speed indexed
*THUMB SHIFTERS*. I do not want the dual lever shifters that came out
after. Does Shimano still make 8 speed index thumbshifters? I tried
Google but only got links to ridiculously price items.

Thanks and cheers

IRD shift mounts with Shimano BarCon-8 (SLBS64)

http://interlocracing.com/shifters.html

--
Andrew Muzi
* www.yellowjersey.org/
* Open every day since 1 April, 1971

Velo-Orange has the same mounts for $20 less:
http://store.velo-orange.com/index.p...22-2-23-8.html
Old January 6th 12, 02:43 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Scott Gordo

On Dec 29 2011, 12:00*am, Chalo wrote:
Sir Ridesalot wrote:

[...]

Huh. So my old 7sp Deore LXs might index with 8 sp?

Time to party like it's 1994!
Old January 6th 12, 03:14 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Scott Gordo

Sir Ridesalot wrote:

[...]

Wait a second.... How can a 7sp index work with 8sp index, spacing-
wise?
Old January 6th 12, 04:54 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
[email protected][_2_]

On Dec 28 2011, 6:53*pm, Sir Ridesalot
wrote:
I want to get a pair of simple inexpensive Shimano 8 speed indexed
*THUMB SHIFTERS*. I do not want the dual lever shifters that came out
after. Does Shimano still make 8 speed index thumbshifters? I tried
Google but only got links to ridiculously price items.

Thanks and cheers

ebay for sure. google shopping too.