Big, light saddle?

Old January 8th 12, 05:53 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Ronko

Default Big, light saddle?

In article d6f01167-98e2-4dc1-9eef-
,
says...

I'm sure I've asked this question before somewhere in days of yore,
but I'm equally sure that the answer would not be exactly the same
today as when I asked it then:

Is anybody here aware of a large yet light saddle that can be bought
today? I seek a saddle with the construction and characteristics of a
racy saddle, but sized for a big person with wide sit bones and .

It need not be huge, but I hope to find something say in a similar
category size-wise as a Brooks B66/B67. I don't want springs,
bumpers, excessive padding, or gel. I'd rather avoid fart slots,
lycra or stitched covers, too, but those things are negotiable in
exchange for largeness and lightness.

Any ideas?

Chalo

Selle Italia Gel Flow Max

Old January 8th 12, 11:40 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
somebody[_2_]

On Sat, 7 Jan 2012 04:34:20 -0800 (PST), Chalo

The trouble is that every saddle above the minimum size seems to be
burdened with features that add weight and modes of failure, but don't
necessarily make it a better perch for riding. I am reminded of the
Vetta ATB saddle I bought sometime in the late 20th century. Vetta
saddles of that time were of comparable construction, differing mainly
is size and shape between the different models. The ATB model was
wider and longer than the Racing model, but otherwise similar. From
the time capsule at BikePro:

http://www.bikepro.com/products/saddles/vetta.html

I wish I could find something like that anymore. Today's equivalent
would have a slot in it, gel humps, elastomer suspended rails, etc.,
etc. And as a result it would probably weigh and cost twice as much
while being less satisfactory as a seat.

Chalo

Back in the day the Vetta was my first gel-filled saddle. It was the
most comfortable seat I ever had. After several years the gel
disintegrated and I could never find another one like it.
Old January 8th 12, 01:30 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

On Jan 8, 12:39*am, "Tom $herman (-_-)" ""twshermanREMOVE\"@THI
$southslope.net" wrote:
On 1/6/2012 10:11 PM, wrote:
* [...]

I'm using a Selle Italia Lady Gel Flo on the current in-service ride.
Expensive new (not cheap even when scrounged, used), manganese rails
are questionable,[...] * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * ^^^^^^^^^

Magnesium rails, perhaps?

Like I said, Tom-- "questionable". IOW, whatever they are made of, I
saw at least one reference to "it broke" meaning one or more of the
rails.

I didn't flesh out my response but "both Selle Italia, a reliable and
more-comfortable one you used to be able to buy, new and recently
manufactured, and the modern, less-comfortable and less-reliable one
you can buy NARM today".
--D-y
Old January 8th 12, 08:43 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Mark J.

On 1/6/2012 8:11 PM, wrote:
On Jan 6, 9:39 pm, wrote:
Chalo wrote:

I seek a saddle with the construction and characteristics of a
racy saddle, but sized for a big person with wide sit bones and .

It's probably obvious that I left something out here. That would be
"wide sit bones and high body weight".

Chalo

Selle Italia Turbo Women's saddle. Old stuff. Not available
"new" (current manufacture) as far as I know along with the "reissue"
Turbo men's saddle. Steel rails, as you know. Mostly expensive on
ebay. I got one cheap and it is good, for my sitting problem. Can be
very expensive as an NOS item in an auction setting.

I'm using a Selle Italia Lady Gel Flo on the current in-service ride.
Expensive new (not cheap even when scrounged, used), manganese rails
are questionable, has gel and a relief (you should be so lucky)
channel down the middle. Not as comfy as the Turbo; although it looks
"flatter" across the sit-bones area than the Turbo, it rides
"narrower" for some reason I don't understand.

Selle Italia' "Diva" is pretty similar to the "Lady", but might also be
worth considering (I'm considering it myself). If the rail material
isn't sturdy enough (I don't know the rail material), but the width/size
is suitable for Chalo, he might craft up some steel rails; I've heard
he's a handy guy with that sort of thing.

Mark J.

Old January 10th 12, 12:14 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Hank

On Jan 6, 5:59*pm, Chalo wrote:
I'm sure I've asked this question before somewhere in days of yore,
but I'm equally sure that the answer would not be exactly the same
today as when I asked it then:

Is anybody here aware of a large yet light saddle that can be bought
today? *I seek a saddle with the construction and characteristics of a
racy saddle, but sized for a big person with wide sit bones and .

It need not be huge, but I hope to find something say in a similar
category size-wise as a Brooks B66/B67. *I don't want springs,
bumpers, excessive padding, or gel. *I'd rather avoid fart slots,
lycra or stitched covers, too, but those things are negotiable in
exchange for largeness and lightness.

Any ideas?

Chalo

Closest I've seen to your specs is the Selle Royal Women's Moderate
line, with a ~200mm width and ~260mm length, like the B66/67. Most
have an elastomer between rail and frame, but ditching that takes you
down to the ~180mm width, again in the women's models.
Old January 20th 12, 02:07 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Art Harris

On Jan 6, 8:59*pm, Chalo wrote:

Is anybody here aware of a large yet light saddle that can be bought
today? *I seek a saddle with the construction and characteristics of a
racy saddle, but sized for a big person with wide sit bones and .

It need not be huge, but I hope to find something say in a similar
category size-wise as a Brooks B66/B67. *I don't want springs,
bumpers, excessive padding, or gel. *I'd rather avoid fart slots,
lycra or stitched covers, too, but those things are negotiable in
exchange for largeness and lightness.

Any ideas?

How about the Sella San Marco Rolls? I'm 6' 3" and have never found a
more comfortable saddle.

Art Harris
Old January 20th 12, 07:29 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Chalo

Art Harris wrote:

Chalo wrote:

Is anybody here aware of a large yet light saddle that can be bought
today? *I seek a saddle with the construction and characteristics of a
racy saddle, but sized for a big person with wide sit bones [...]

How about the Sella San Marco Rolls? I'm 6' 3" and have never found a
more comfortable saddle.

Too narrow. That saddle was designed and made for small people who
were dividing their load more or less equally between seat and bars.
I've been looking at those for twenty-five years thinking, "nice
looking saddle... if only it were bigger."

I have a friend who measures 7'1". He could probably sit on the
narrow edge of a two-by-four without problems. I'm five inches
shorter than him, but 140 pounds heavier and built on a much different
rail gauge.

Chalo
Old January 21st 12, 12:34 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
thirty-six

On Jan 20, 7:29*pm, Chalo wrote:
Art Harris wrote:

Chalo wrote:

Is anybody here aware of a large yet light saddle that can be bought
today? *I seek a saddle with the construction and characteristics of a
racy saddle, but sized for a big person with wide sit bones [...]

How about the Sella San Marco Rolls? I'm 6' 3" and have never found a
more comfortable saddle.

Too narrow. *That saddle was designed and made for small people who
were dividing their load more or less equally between seat and bars.
I've been looking at those for twenty-five years thinking, "nice
looking saddle... if only it were bigger."

I have a friend who measures 7'1". *He could probably sit on the
narrow edge of a two-by-four without problems. *I'm five inches
shorter than him, but 140 pounds heavier and built on a much different
rail gauge.

Chalo

I see that there is a Brooks B17 in organic leather, probably thicker
too, like a proper racing saddle. I think you should contact them
directly requesting the wide model in the thickest and stiffest
leather. I dont believe that there would be enough demand for a
plastic saddle to suit you to make an economically viable production
run, the natural product is likely be more suitable due to its natural
variation (and appropriate selection). Be sure to get the basic zinc-
plated rails. I knew a rider who was about 22 stone and was perched
almost upright on a racing Brooks supposedly without problem so there
is some hope in this direction.
Old January 23rd 12, 04:17 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
thirty-six

On Jan 7, 3:37*pm, "(PeteCresswell)" wrote:
Per Chalo:

wide sit bones

Can you put a number on it?

Measuring the dents I leave in a sheet of styrofoam, mine look to
be 5.25" C-C-c.
--
Pete Cresswell

seems right by me, across the leather. I need to rest.