My new Schlumpf

Old February 19th 07, 04:34 PM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
Tigger

Default My new Schlumpf

I Love this thing I got a week ago Friday, I now have about 60 miles on
it and can shift to both gears with out crashing.

|Filename: 02-19-07_0854brake.jpg |

Tigger

Ride it like you stole it from someone who didn't know how to use it!
Tigger's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/8877

Old February 19th 07, 05:06 PM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
c9ollie

damn your so lucky. i hope you ride her well.

--
c9ollie
c9ollie's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/13989

Old February 19th 07, 07:51 PM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
gkmac

Can you please explain exactly what the brake setup is? Somehow you've
put Maguras on it, with some kind of arch thing that keeps them
equidistant apart. Are they actually fitted to the standard Schlumpf
brake mounts somehow?

It's just I have a V-brake on my Schlumpf, which seems to be a total
waste of time. The only way I've got the pads to keep away from the rim
is to have them so far apart that the brake only provides a gradual
slowing effect when the lever is yanked on fully.

And I still have occasional problems with the flexy frame doing it's
best to make sure that the pads rub the wheel when idling in low gear,
or getting the thing moving in high gear.
Tigger wrote:
...can shift to both gears with out crashing.

I can do that, bit of a shame that I have to dismount first.

--
gkmac

"Those who can, do. Those who can't, take the pictures." - tomblackwood
"As it only hurts when you walk, will you be riding everywhere now?" -
mikepenton
"gkmac... what are we going to do with you." - Chexjc
gkmac's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/4577

Old February 19th 07, 08:00 PM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
kington99

He appears to be using what's called the 'evolution brake mounts'
(http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/M...?ModelID=7833), common
amongst bikers it's a system for using magura brakes with V-brake mount
posts, as very few bikes have the 4 bolt magura brake mounts which us
unicyclists are blessed with.

--
kington99

Dave

Old February 19th 07, 08:03 PM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
thejdw

Is it a clotterles hub?

--
thejdw

dunawan wrote:
why are koxx one unicycles so costly???
forrestunifreak wrote:
They are expensive because they use only the finest soft drink cans.

2 unispins landed!
don't follow Jesus, follow me!

thejdw's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/13230

Old February 19th 07, 08:04 PM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
rob.northcott

gkmac wrote:
Can you please explain exactly what the brake setup is? Somehow you've
put Maguras on it, with some kind of arch thing that keeps them
equidistant apart. Are they actually fitted to the standard Schlumpf
brake mounts somehow?

Ooh, ooh, sir, I know this sir...
Magura brakes come with mounts to attach them to normal cantilever
brake mounts (same as V-brake mounts). The bottom of the clamp
attaches to the canti boss and the top has an adjustable hook-shaped
thing that sticks out and presses against the inside of the fork to
stop it moving around. If you've got flexible forks (or a bendy
Schlumpf unicycle frame) you can add a brake booster, which is the
u-shaped thing you can see in the picture - it just attaches between
the two mounting bolts and stops the forks bending apart when the brake
is applied.

Rob

--
rob.northcott

'Dartmoor Muni Weekend'
(http://www.unicyclist.com/forums/showthread.php?t=46116) - Last
weekend in May 2006
'Same again this year anyone?'
(http://www.unicyclist.com/forums/showthread.php?t=57785) It'll be
dry, I promise.

Old February 19th 07, 08:14 PM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
gordito8me

thejdw wrote:
Is it a clotterles hub?

ya it's a cotterless hub. the new kh that's coming out whenever is
splined I believe, correct me if I'm wrong.

--
gordito8me

29er or 36er? can't decide
either way I have like 54 bucks so nothing too great.
radial 360 or nimbus 29er????
helllpppp!!!!
helllpppp!!!!
gordito8me's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/13641

Old February 19th 07, 09:17 PM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
thejdw

gordito8me wrote:
correct me if I'm wrong.

I don't have the knowledge to correct you

--
thejdw

Old February 19th 07, 09:32 PM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
joemarshall

gkmac wrote:

It's just I have a V-brake on my Schlumpf, which seems to be a total
waste of time. The only way I've got the pads to keep away from the rim
is to have them so far apart that the brake only provides a gradual
slowing effect when the lever is yanked on fully.

Magura brakes generally have a lower clearance on the wheel, so will be
even worse for what's going wrong with yours.

Get someone who knows v-brakes to look at yours, maybe at BUC. Even on
the original frame I had v-brakes set up just right and working fine
(until the frame snapped). I did need a hand from Joe McLean to get
them setup right. If you're getting the problems you describe then
something is wrong with your setup. There's not much point spending
money on maguras, as you'll have exactly the same problems.

Fitting a brake booster might make a difference to the flexyness of the
schlumpf frame though and might just make your brakes a little more
efficient. You can get them for normal brakes.

When v-brakes are setup right, they work super well (about as well as
Maguras), and have the advantage of being more robust than maguras.
I've used mine enough now to be wearing down the pads pretty
noticeably, and they're still working fantastic.

Maguras stick out less though, which is an advantage, but they're a bit
of a nightmare in terms of breaking hydraulic lines, particularly if
you're doing rocky muni. They do have the advantage of being able to
completely lock the wheel very well, which is great for bike trials,
but doesn't add much on a unicycle.

By the way, you should put in the time to learn to shift. It's really
worth doing. Unless you have size 5 feet and 175mm cranks or clip
pedals it's perfectly possible to do, just a matter of learning how to
move your feet around on the pedals to the right place. I practice
against a lamp-post, so I get the feel of kicking it.

Joe

--
joemarshall

my pics http://gallery.unicyclist.com/albuq44

Old February 19th 07, 09:35 PM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
joemarshall

By the way, I just took my Schlumpf on a weekend's road/muni riding.
About 80km of road riding, 50-60km of proper good muni, plus two nights
bivvying. It was fab. It would have been hard to do on any other uni
(perhaps a coker, but I would have walked some of the downhills).

Joe

--
joemarshall

my pics http://gallery.unicyclist.com/albuq44

Schlumpf uni on udc, why so expensive? forrestunifreak Unicycling 16 February 12th 07 08:06 PM
Schlumpf Owners daveyearp Unicycling 11 February 1st 07 06:23 PM
Schlumpf technique? joemarshall Unicycling 12 May 11th 06 07:56 AM
Schlumpf 36 siafirede Unicycling 28 December 6th 05 06:27 AM
Coker, Schlumpf 29er, or Schlumpf 36er siafirede Unicycling 9 November 11th 05 11:37 PM