"Pump Peg" Still Usefull?

Old June 5th 08, 01:39 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Art Harris

Default "Pump Peg" Still Usefull?

One of my classic steel road bikes has a pump peg on the head tube. My
Zefal HP frame pump has a hole for a pump peg on one end, but plastic
braces on the other end.

I currently have the pump installed on the seat tube (the plastic
braces press against the seat tube/down tube interface, and a clamp-on
metal cap attached to the seat tube holds the other end. This works
fine except that I can't mount a water bottle on the seat tube. (In
the warm weather, I'd like to carry two water bottles.)

I tried mounting the HP pump under the top tube using the pump peg on
one end and the clamp-on cap on the other. Problem is that the brake
cable guides on top of the top tube interfere with the clamp-on cap,
and the clamp is also too big for the 1" top tube.

So do modern frame pumps still accomodate a pump peg, or would the peg
actually get in the way? Any suggestions how I can get a full size
pump installed under the TT of this bike?

Thanks,
Art Harris
Old June 5th 08, 01:52 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
SMS

Art Harris wrote:
One of my classic steel road bikes has a pump peg on the head tube. My
Zefal HP frame pump has a hole for a pump peg on one end, but plastic
braces on the other end.

I currently have the pump installed on the seat tube (the plastic
braces press against the seat tube/down tube interface, and a clamp-on
metal cap attached to the seat tube holds the other end. This works
fine except that I can't mount a water bottle on the seat tube. (In
the warm weather, I'd like to carry two water bottles.)

I tried mounting the HP pump under the top tube using the pump peg on
one end and the clamp-on cap on the other. Problem is that the brake
cable guides on top of the top tube interfere with the clamp-on cap,
and the clamp is also too big for the 1" top tube.

Hmm, on my Zefal HP, I don't need to use a clamp-on cap. I have
different length Zefal HP pumps for different bicycles, to avoid the
necessity of a cap. The HP comes in four different sizes.

"http://www.yellowjersey.org/hpx.html"

Ouch..those have gotten expensive, thanks to the Republicans!
Old June 5th 08, 02:55 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

On Jun 5, 8:39 am, Art Harris wrote:
[...]

I think a lot of "modern frames" can accommodate a pump peg. They
just don't...which I find really irritating. Probably nothing on a
frame has a higher benefit-to-cost ratio. Having to strap, clamp,
duct-tape, glue, or whatever a frame pump to an otherwise beautiful
bicycle is an aesthetic offensive of the highest order.

I guess we're all just supposed to load up on CO2 and relegate our
frame pumps to the equipment boneyard. I don't like the limitations
of CO2. I know for some they make sense but for the vast majority of
cyclists, a full sized frame pump would be a better choice. Frame
builders should acknowledge this and provide proper pump pegs.
Old June 5th 08, 03:08 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Qui si parla Campagnolo-www.vecchios.com Qui si parla Campagnolo-www.vecchios.com is offline
Banned

On Jun 5, 6:39*am, Art Harris wrote:
[...]

Yep and most full sized frame pumps come in sizes to match you TT
length.
Old June 5th 08, 03:49 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
[email protected][_2_]

On Jun 5, 7:55 am, wrote:
[...]

Even with a pump peg, I'd still use some velcro to hold the pump to
the frame. I had a zefal pump that fitted nice and tight under the top
tube with a peg. I didn't have anything else. I rode over some uneven
train tracks and the pump fell off. Riders behind rode over it and the
pump was toast. Since then, I always have a small piece of extra
velcro holding the pump as prevention.

Andres
Old June 5th 08, 04:03 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

On Jun 5, 9:55*am, wrote:
[...]

builders should acknowledge this and provide proper pump pegs.- Hide quoted text -

Grow up and use C02 or, better yet, convert your bike into a boat
anchor and take up shuffleboard.
Old June 5th 08, 04:46 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

On Jun 5, 11:27*am, Colin Campbell wrote:
Grow up and use C02 or, better yet, convert your bike into a boat
anchor and take up shuffleboard.

Exactly backward reasoning, in my opinion.

Why would anyone who rides a bike (it's pretty good exercise, and uses a
lot of calories, I've heard) want or need to use a CO2 cartridge system?

With a pump, you get to use more of your own energy to compress air to
fill your tire. *With a CO2 cartridge, you are using energy that was
undoubtedly produced by burning hydrocarbons.

CO2 may be faster, but there's a big price for that. *If you like paying
it, go ahead. *But "real cyclists" are out there conserving the world's
energy resources by using their own energy, and as a reward, they get to
eat more goodies!

Oh c'mon...let's not turn this into a referendum on the energy crisis.
The only cyclists still using pumps are luddites and "retrogrouches".
More power to 'em. CO2 is a modern solution for modern cyclists using
modern frames. Pump pegs are at the right place in terms of the
evolution of bicycles and equipement...obscure, "cute", and retro. If
you want one on your frame, you SHOULD have to custom order it. They
now belong in the "boneyard" along with gonfluers, hand-operated
derailluers, bar-mounted bottle cages, and "standard reach" brakes.
Yes, there is still a niche market for these things (ok, maybe not
gonfluers) but they are not mainstream.

Over many thousands of miles, I have used maybe 2 CO2 cartridges. If
you take care of your tires, properly inflate them with a floor pump,
etc. it isn't like you will need to blow through a couple hundred CO2
cartridges every month.
Old June 5th 08, 05:21 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
landotter

On Jun 5, 10:46*am, wrote:
[...]

So tell me why I have to stop and top up you CO2ists at least once per
week with my mini-pump?

land*post-modern*otter
Old June 5th 08, 05:47 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Sir Ridesalot

On Jun 5, 10:49*am, " wrote:
On Jun 5, 7:55 am, wrote:

[...]

Andres- Hide quoted text -

It might have been repairable. Years ago I was at Pedlar Cycles in
Toronto when a cyclist came in to get a new aluminium body Zefal HP
pump. He had his with him. It had fallen off the bicycle and was run
over by a car. He gave the pump to the shop. The shop gave the pump to
me when I asked if I could have it. I took it home and removed the
plunger assembly. Then I force a hardwood dowel down the pump body.
Amazingly that pumped worked for many years afterwards. The shop
thought it would have made great advertising for Zefal.

Cheers from Peter
Old June 5th 08, 06:10 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

On Jun 5, 5:39*am, Art Harris wrote:
[...]

As other people have implied, the problem is that
your pump is too short. For many frames, the pump
that fits along the seat tube is too short to run the
entire length of the top tube. The plastic standoffs
on the head end of a Zefal pump can fit in the
top tube-seat tube junction while the handle end
fits against the pump peg. If you don't have a pump
peg, Zefal made a plastic peg that fit on with a
hose-clamp style strap. These will fit under a brake
cable better than the old metal clamp-on pump cap,
although they are stylistically inelegant.

A Zefal HPx (not HP) has an angled handle end that
fits into acute angle tube junctions. This lets you
run it along the seat tube without using a pump cap
or peg.

The really trick way of carrying a pump is to have
your frame builder braze one or two pegs onto the
left seatstay, and mounting the pump along that.

Ben