re-shinying chrome forks

Old December 6th 11, 08:44 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Tim Bradshaw

Default re-shinying chrome forks

I have an early-90s Pinarello which has chrome-plated forks. Due to idiocy
it spent 5 years in a somewhat damp environment and the forks are now
covered with rust spots. I'd planned to just replace them with carbon
forks, but I'm now minded to try and preserve the retro-nature of it all.
Is here anything I can do, short of getting them replated, which will
restore their appearance?
Old December 6th 11, 08:55 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
ian field

"Tim Bradshaw" wrote in message
I have an early-90s Pinarello which has chrome-plated forks. Due to idiocy
it spent 5 years in a somewhat damp environment and the forks are now
covered with rust spots. I'd planned to just replace them with carbon
forks, but I'm now minded to try and preserve the retro-nature of it all.
Is here anything I can do, short of getting them replated, which will
restore their appearance?

Unless it was exposed to sulphuric acid (acid rain?) the rust spots might
suggest shoddy plating, the rust spots are exposed steel that will allways
be vulnerable to future corrosion unless regularly wax polished or rust
inhibitor treated (usually unsightly).

Stripped and re-plated by a reputable plater is easier in the long run if a
little pricey in the short term.

Old December 6th 11, 10:00 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
James[_8_]

On 07/12/11 07:44, Tim Bradshaw wrote:
I have an early-90s Pinarello which has chrome-plated forks. Due to idiocy
it spent 5 years in a somewhat damp environment and the forks are now
covered with rust spots. I'd planned to just replace them with carbon
forks, but I'm now minded to try and preserve the retro-nature of it all.
Is here anything I can do, short of getting them replated, which will
restore their appearance?

Try a little cut and polish you might have for your car.

--
JS.
Old December 6th 11, 11:40 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
AMuzi

Tim Bradshaw wrote:
I have an early-90s Pinarello which has chrome-plated forks. Due to idiocy
it spent 5 years in a somewhat damp environment and the forks are now
covered with rust spots. I'd planned to just replace them with carbon
forks, but I'm now minded to try and preserve the retro-nature of it all.
Is here anything I can do, short of getting them replated, which will
restore their appearance?

Remove chrome, finish smooth and paint it.

--
Andrew Muzi
www.yellowjersey.org/
Old December 7th 11, 06:41 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
thirty-six

On Dec 6, 8:44*pm, Tim Bradshaw wrote:
I have an early-90s Pinarello which has chrome-plated forks. Due to idiocy
it spent 5 years in a somewhat damp environment and the forks are now
covered with rust spots. *I'd planned to just replace them with carbon
forks, but I'm now minded to try and preserve the retro-nature of it all.
Is here anything I can do, short of getting them replated, which will
restore their appearance?

If they are just pin holes in the chrome you may be able to polish the
forks with newsprint. If that doesn't shed the dew and raindrops,
try rubbing in silicone before polishing with paper.
Old December 7th 11, 11:46 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Tim Bradshaw

On 2011-12-06 20:55:09 +0000, Ian Field said:

Unless it was exposed to sulphuric acid (acid rain?) the rust spots
might suggest shoddy plating, the rust spots are exposed steel that
will allways be vulnerable to future corrosion unless regularly wax
polished or rust inhibitor treated (usually unsightly).

I suspect the marks are where stones &c have hit it, but yes, I suspect
shoddy plating.

Stripped and re-plated by a reputable plater is easier in the long run
if a little pricey in the short term.

I will have a go at that: I know (people who know) places which will
replace bits for vintae cars, & they can probably do the forks (I could
have them done in nickel in fact, which would be pretty cool looking I
think).

Thanks to other responders: I'll have a go at polishing before giving up.

Old December 7th 11, 12:55 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
DougC

On 12/6/2011 2:44 PM, Tim Bradshaw wrote:
I have an early-90s Pinarello which has chrome-plated forks. Due to idiocy
it spent 5 years in a somewhat damp environment and the forks are now
covered with rust spots. I'd planned to just replace them with carbon
forks, but I'm now minded to try and preserve the retro-nature of it all.
Is here anything I can do, short of getting them replated, which will
restore their appearance?

One easy & common "quickie" method is to buff the spots with a wad of
aluminum foil. The foil is softer than the steel and crome plating, but
will still knock all the rust off.

This still leaves holes in the chrome though, and if it gets wet all
those spots will begin rusting anew. Stripping & re-chroming is the only
total solution.
Old December 7th 11, 03:47 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
ian field

On 2011-12-06 20:55:09 +0000, Ian Field said:

Unless it was exposed to sulphuric acid (acid rain?) the rust spots might
suggest shoddy plating, the rust spots are exposed steel that will
allways be vulnerable to future corrosion unless regularly wax polished
or rust inhibitor treated (usually unsightly).

I suspect the marks are where stones &c have hit it, but yes, I suspect
shoddy plating.

Flash chroming is common on motorcycle fork stanchions because thick plating
would cause an interference fit in the fork bushes, the plating lasts a
while as high as the oil seal travels but above that rust is a constant
problem.

Stripped and re-plated by a reputable plater is easier in the long run if
a little pricey in the short term.

I will have a go at that: I know (people who know) places which will
replace bits for vintae cars, & they can probably do the forks (I could
have them done in nickel in fact, which would be pretty cool looking I
think).

Properly applied & polished nickel has a deep lustre.

Old December 7th 11, 04:20 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Tim Bradshaw

On 2011-12-07 15:47:00 +0000, Ian Field said:

Properly applied & polished nickel has a deep lustre.

Yes, that's why I like it - vintage cars generally have nickel plate
rather than chrome, as do some electric guitars, and I think it looks
nicer in both cases, though it needs more maintenance.

Old December 7th 11, 04:40 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
AMuzi

Tim Bradshaw wrote:
I have an early-90s Pinarello which has chrome-plated forks. Due to idiocy
it spent 5 years in a somewhat damp environment and the forks are now
covered with rust spots. I'd planned to just replace them with carbon
forks, but I'm now minded to try and preserve the retro-nature of it all.
Is here anything I can do, short of getting them replated, which will
restore their appearance?

John B. wrote:
Just a comment.
Chrome plating results in hydrogen embrittlement of the plated steel
part. This can be eliminated by baking the freshly plated parts
however there is some disagreement of the time limits between removing
from the plating tank and placing in the oven. I believe that current
thinking is "as quickly as possible".

Yes, that's a possibility.

Durable plate is copper-nickel-copper-chrome with polishing
after the first two passes, not chrome over steel. Plating
speed is another factor in hydrogen inclusion. A competent
plater knows all that (and charges accordingly).