Where to buy ISO 37-590 tires & tubes?

Old August 5th 04, 08:19 PM
HKEK

Default Where to buy ISO 37-590 tires & tubes?

I volunteered to fix a neighbor's bike. It is a 1973 Raleigh with a
Sturmey-Archer internal 3-speed rear hub. Unfortunately, I have not
been able to find replacement tires and tubes because the size is so
odd. Short of switching to "flat-free" tires (greentyre.com), where
can I find replacements?
Old August 5th 04, 08:51 PM
DRS

"HKEK" wrote in message

I volunteered to fix a neighbor's bike. It is a 1973 Raleigh with a
Sturmey-Archer internal 3-speed rear hub. Unfortunately, I have not
been able to find replacement tires and tubes because the size is so
odd. Short of switching to "flat-free" tires (greentyre.com), where
can I find replacements?

37-590 (aka 650 x 35a) is 26" x 1 3/8". See
http://www.conti-online.com/generato...folder_en.html
and check out the Coninental Top Touring 2000, CityRide and Touring tyres.
Also the Schwalbe Marathon (highly recommended), Marathon Plus and Vittoria
Randonneur. There are probably some others but it's not a common size
anymore. However, there are stacks of 26x1.25 and 26x1.50 tyres around, so
it's not like you're locked into just that size.

--

A: Top-posters.

Old August 5th 04, 09:40 PM
jim c

Default new noise from new(er) chorus drivetrain

I have a chorus drivetrain on a waterford 1200 frame with MA-2 wheels.
All with less than 1000 miles on it and has started making a noise which
has me semi-bafffled. Its a tink-tink-tink noise..now I know what you
are thinking, but I have removed inspected and retorqued the cranks;
that was my first guess. I also retorqued the chainrings. Its frequency
has increased and is more random than 1 or 2 "tinks" per rev. sometimes
its 1, 2 or even 3, I cant see a pattern to the noise visa-vis wheel
rot. or pedal rot.

My second guess was spoke noise, because it actually sounds like a cable
end hitting a spoke, but the noise stops when the pedals stop.

Its not the pedals, I have tried one footing it and the noise remains. I
have removed and inspected and retorqued the cassette. The only thing
left is the BB (?) but the noise seems too "bright", or the jockey wheels?
I have had this noise for about 75 miles and not being able to figure it
out it killing me. I built the bike myself (but my LBS installed the BB
and headset) so I know the mechanicals fairly well. Any ideas? My
obvious next step is to take it in for a look-see, but if this is a
common thing I *really* would like to diagnose it and repair it.

I am a heavy rider at 210lbs and the roads around here are not exactly
glass smooth, but the frame is lugged steel and the wheels that I had
built should be up to the task.

Im stumped
thanks in advance.
Jim Champoux
Old August 5th 04, 09:48 PM
Sheldon Brown

HKEK wrote:

I volunteered to fix a neighbor's bike. It is a 1973 Raleigh with a
Sturmey-Archer internal 3-speed rear hub. Unfortunately, I have not
been able to find replacement tires and tubes because the size is so
odd. Short of switching to "flat-free" tires (greentyre.com), where
can I find replacements?

We've got 'em. http://sheldonbrown.com/harris/590

We specialize in old English bikes, see: http://sheldonbrown.com/english

Sheldon "Nottingham" Brown
| We hardly find any persons of good sense |
| save those who agree with with us. |
| - Francois, Duc de la Rouchefoucauld |
Phone 617-244-9772 FAX 617-244-1041
http://harriscyclery.com
Hard-to-find parts shipped Worldwide

Old August 5th 04, 10:07 PM
Robert

jim c wrote:
---8----
Its a tink-tink-tink noise..now I know what you
are thinking, but I have removed inspected and retorqued the cranks;
that was my first guess. I also retorqued the chainrings. Its frequency
has increased and is more random than 1 or 2 "tinks" per rev. sometimes
its 1, 2 or even 3, I cant see a pattern

---8---
Any ideas?
---8---

You won't like this one, and it's a long shot. Could the seat post be
moving some grit around ever so slightly in the seat tube?

Remove it, clean post and inside of seat tube with cloth. Any change?

Tell us what happens.

I think that Peter Chisholm has some black art trick with linseed oil
but let's not get all the heavy ammo out just yet ;-)

/Robert

Old August 5th 04, 11:04 PM
Lou Holtman

"jim c" schreef in bericht
[...]

My guess is that the tink-tink-tink noise is coming from the cassette. The
larger sprockets are riveted together and there is some movement in/around
the rivets. Take the cassette apart and drop some oil, or what I use a
little White Lightning, on/between the rivets. Reassemble the cassette and
tighten the lockring well. That did the trick for me.

Lou

Old August 5th 04, 11:13 PM
jim c

Robert wrote:
jim c wrote:
---8----
Its a tink-tink-tink noise..now I know what you

are thinking, but I have removed inspected and retorqued the cranks;
that was my first guess. I also retorqued the chainrings. Its
frequency has increased and is more random than 1 or 2 "tinks" per
rev. sometimes its 1, 2 or even 3, I cant see a pattern

---8---
Any ideas?
---8---

You won't like this one, and it's a long shot. Could the seat post be
moving some grit around ever so slightly in the seat tube?

Remove it, clean post and inside of seat tube with cloth. Any change?

Tell us what happens.

I think that Peter Chisholm has some black art trick with linseed oil
but let's not get all the heavy ammo out just yet ;-)

/Robert

Should have mentioned this in my first post, it doesnt change out of the
saddle, which is an indicator it isnt the seat post and also that the
added weight and torque dont effect it,

jim
Old August 5th 04, 11:14 PM
jim c

Lou Holtman wrote:

[...]

hmmm, interesting, I will try that right now, thanks
jim

Old August 6th 04, 08:37 AM
Trevor Jeffrey

Would suspect chainring bolts. Then pedals, make sure there's nothing
floating around. Shake them in your hand. Check that the chain is not
catching front mech. Also if its a new chain, that it isn't sticking as it
feeds onto the top jockey.
TJ