V Brakes. Front/Rear? (Avid Ti)

Old November 21st 04, 06:03 PM
Pizza Man

Default V Brakes. Front/Rear? (Avid Ti)

Greetings,

I just picked up a set of Avid Ti V brakes for my bike. When I look at
parts catalogs they almost always differentiate between the front and
the rear brakes for ordering. I also picked up a set of Sram brakes
and the boxes are clearly labeled "front" and "rear".

The Avid Ti brakes look like OEM stuff. (In a bag with instructions,
but no box.) The bags are not labeled front or rear. The instructions
do not mention any specific placement for the brakes. The brakes look
the same (no, I've not whipped out my calipers for precision measuring
yet).

So what is the story? Are all/some V brakes position specific?

If yes, how do I tell the difference?

Thank you, Tracy
Old November 21st 04, 07:36 PM
daveornee

Pizza Man Wrote:
Greetings,

I just picked up a set of Avid Ti V brakes for my bike. When I look at
parts catalogs they almost always differentiate between the front and
the rear brakes for ordering. I also picked up a set of Sram brakes
and the boxes are clearly labeled "front" and "rear".

The Avid Ti brakes look like OEM stuff. (In a bag with instructions,
but no box.) The bags are not labeled front or rear. The instructions
do not mention any specific placement for the brakes. The brakes look
the same (no, I've not whipped out my calipers for precision measuring
yet).

So what is the story? Are all/some V brakes position specific?

If yes, how do I tell the difference?

Thank you, Tracy

Since the front brakes mount in front of the fork and the rear brake
mount behind the seat stays, the orientation of the pads is "flipped
over" such that the short side faces forward and the direction of force
will push the pads into their holders.
The arms should be the same for front and rear.
Look at the top of the pad holders and see the orientation arrows that
point forward.... and also the direction of the force when brakes are
applied.

--
daveornee

Old November 22nd 04, 05:46 AM
Pizza Man

Since the front brakes mount in front of the fork and the rear brake
mount behind the seat stays, the orientation of the pads is "flipped
over" such that the short side faces forward and the direction of force
will push the pads into their holders.
The arms should be the same for front and rear.
Look at the top of the pad holders and see the orientation arrows that
point forward.... and also the direction of the force when brakes are
applied.

Dave,

That makes sense complete sense (wish I'd thought of it).
Thanks for the helpful info.

Tracy