Positive Traction Axel

Old June 4th 05, 12:04 AM
S. Delaire \Rotatorrecumbent\

Mountain Quad may be out of production
Their system works from 2 BMX freewheels inside the drive sprocket.
In bicycle land it is called "dominate drive"
In the car world it is a "Detroit locker"
Can be cheaply done by driving a "jack shaft" next to the rear axle and then 2
chains to right and left axle half, 1 BMX freewheel on each side. On the axle
or jack shaft, doesn't matter.
Make sense?
Speedy

Jeff Grippe wrote:

"Jeff Wills" wrote in message

It would be helpful to know where you saw these, but many
two-wheel-drive-rear axles are built by the manufacturer. You'll have
to talk directly to them.

"Positive traction" sometimes means that that power is supplied to both
rear wheels through independant freewheels instead of a differential.
This arrangement allows the outside wheel to turn faster than the
drivetrain when the vehicle is turning.

This is exactly what I am looking for. The Mountain Quad from Crank It
(www.crank-it.com) and the Rhoades Car (I don't have the URL handy) both
have this feature. I have emailed both of them and neither has responded. I
assume that they didn't respond because I wasn't a potential buyer but I
don't actually know whey they didn't respond.

Thanks,

Jeff

Old June 5th 05, 01:56 PM
Jeff Grippe

"S. Delaire "Rotatorrecumbent"" wrote in message
Mountain Quad may be out of production
Their system works from 2 BMX freewheels inside the drive sprocket.
In bicycle land it is called "dominate drive"
In the car world it is a "Detroit locker"
Can be cheaply done by driving a "jack shaft" next to the rear axle and
then 2
chains to right and left axle half, 1 BMX freewheel on each side. On the
axle
or jack shaft, doesn't matter.
Make sense?
Speedy

Sir Speedy,

Not quite but close. I think I need a vocabulary lesson. When someone says
"freewheel" I am thinking of a cluster of rings that are found on the rear
of a bicycle who specs are quoted as 12-19 or 14-32, etc. I beginning to
think that these things that are commonly called freewheels are not actually
the essence of what a freewheel is.

I also don't know what a "jack shaft" is.

Now having my ignorance I'll bet if you were to educate me a little further
I might be able to do this. Please tell me more if you please?

Mountain Quad out of production? Really? Why do you say that? I don't
imagine it is easy selling $8,000 bicycles no matter how interesting they
are.

Regards,

Jeff

PS this is posted to the group and CC'd to you so that you would see it. It
would probably be best to respond to the group. Many thanks.

Old June 5th 05, 11:28 PM
Jeff Wills

Jeff Grippe wrote:
Sir Speedy,

Not quite but close. I think I need a vocabulary lesson. When someone says
"freewheel" I am thinking of a cluster of rings that are found on the rear
of a bicycle who specs are quoted as 12-19 or 14-32, etc. I beginning to
think that these things that are commonly called freewheels are not actually
the essence of what a freewheel is.

A "freewheel" in bicycle terminology is anything that allows you to
turn the chain in one direction without turning the wheel. In this
case, we're talking about a unit with one cog that the chain runs on.
These are common on BMX bikes and single-speed mountain bikes. Over the
years, there have been "freewheels" with 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, or 8
cogs, but they all work in essentially the same fashion.

I also don't know what a "jack shaft" is.

In terms of what we're talking about, a jackshaft has sprockets at both
ends, which allows you to transmit power to one side or the other of a
chain.

Other Jeff

Old June 6th 05, 12:03 AM
Jeff Grippe

Thank you for making that clearer.

So What I'm looking to build if I understand correctly is a freewheel with a
single cog on a jackshaft. This would allow power to be transmitted to one
or both wheels and also allow the wheels to turn independently for
cornering, etc.

This would then also allow me to "mid mount" some sort of tranmission (a
rohloff speedhub is what I'm thinking of) to provide gearing.

Does this sound correct?

Thanks again.

Jeff
"Jeff Wills" wrote in message
ps.com...

Old June 6th 05, 04:34 PM
Jeff Wills

Jeff Grippe wrote:
Thank you for making that clearer.

So What I'm looking to build if I understand correctly is a freewheel with a
single cog on a jackshaft. This would allow power to be transmitted to one
or both wheels and also allow the wheels to turn independently for
cornering, etc.

This would then also allow me to "mid mount" some sort of tranmission (a
rohloff speedhub is what I'm thinking of) to provide gearing.

Does this sound correct?

Thanks again.

Jeff

Yes. This is the arrangement used by the Crank-It, I believe.

Other Jeff

Old June 8th 05, 06:25 AM
25hz

As soon as you start turning, it's quite likely, even at low speeds, that
the inside wheel will be unweighted enough that turning will be no problem,
poitrac or not.

"bent_pilot" wrote in message
If the rear is the drive axle, you have to have a differential or you

won't
be able to turn, because unlike in a race car with a posi rear, you don't
have the HP or torque to break rear wheel traction!

"Jeff Grippe" jeff@door7 wrote in message
I'm looking at this for a rear axel so turning isn't necessary.

Thanks,

Jeff
"bent_pilot" wrote in message
Must be some kind of limited slip kind of deviceor else you wouldn't be
able to turn. Sounds $$$$.
"Jeff Grippe" wrote in message
Hello everyone,

There are some trikes and quads on the market that have a positive
traction rear axel that supplies drive to both wheels.

Does anyone know where these can be purchased?

I have a trike that I'm thinking of building into a quad but only if I
can get one of these axels.

Thanks for any help.

Jeff

=---

Old June 9th 05, 12:28 PM
Greg Nuspel

You could use two one way clutches
http://www.ringspann.de/uk/products/p8x/frltxt.htm
This way the faster wheel freewheels, you have positive drive to both on
ice etc.

--
Greg Nuspel

The frog does not drink up the pond in which he lives. ~Indian Proverb

Do you think that Tyler Hamilton is positive about what he's doing??? Richard Longwood Racing 49 September 28th 04 04:13 PM
"Fuentes disputes positive" or How the USCF promotes doping... [email protected] Racing 49 August 9th 04 07:41 PM
rotor cranks andy Techniques 66 November 5th 03 03:23 PM
Fork Overhaul ended in Pilot Vs Axel Andrew Mountain Biking 6 July 19th 03 11:44 AM