Positive Traction Axel

Old June 1st 05, 09:44 PM
Jeff Grippe

Default Positive Traction Axel

Hello everyone,

There are some trikes and quads on the market that have a positive traction
rear axel that supplies drive to both wheels.

Does anyone know where these can be purchased?

I have a trike that I'm thinking of building into a quad but only if I can
get one of these axels.

Thanks for any help.

Jeff

Old June 2nd 05, 03:42 PM
bent_pilot

Must be some kind of limited slip kind of deviceor else you wouldn't be able
to turn. Sounds $$$$.

Old June 2nd 05, 03:50 PM
Jeff Grippe

I'm looking at this for a rear axel so turning isn't necessary.

Thanks,

Jeff
"bent_pilot" wrote in message
Must be some kind of limited slip kind of deviceor else you wouldn't be
able to turn. Sounds $$$$.
"Jeff Grippe" wrote in message
Hello everyone,

There are some trikes and quads on the market that have a positive
traction rear axel that supplies drive to both wheels.

Does anyone know where these can be purchased?

I have a trike that I'm thinking of building into a quad but only if I
can get one of these axels.

Thanks for any help.

Jeff

News==----
http://www.newsfeeds.com The #1 Newsgroup Service in the World! 100,000
Newsgroups

Old June 2nd 05, 06:05 PM
bent_pilot

If the rear is the drive axle, you have to have a differential or you won't
be able to turn, because unlike in a race car with a posi rear, you don't
have the HP or torque to break rear wheel traction!

Old June 2nd 05, 09:48 PM
Jeff Wills

Jeff Grippe wrote:
Hello everyone,

There are some trikes and quads on the market that have a positive traction
rear axel that supplies drive to both wheels.

Does anyone know where these can be purchased?

I have a trike that I'm thinking of building into a quad but only if I can
get one of these axels.

It would be helpful to know where you saw these, but many
two-wheel-drive-rear axles are built by the manufacturer. You'll have
to talk directly to them.

"Positive traction" sometimes means that that power is supplied to both
rear wheels through independant freewheels instead of a differential.
This arrangement allows the outside wheel to turn faster than the
drivetrain when the vehicle is turning. This isn't a true
"positraction" differential, where power is distributed proportionally
to both wheels unless one wheel start slipping, at which point the
"posi" kicks in and allows the non-slipping wheel to power the vehicle.

Jeff

Old June 2nd 05, 10:36 PM
Badger 22°59'S 43°13'W

Jeff Grippe wrote:

There are some trikes and quads on the market that have a positive traction
rear axel that supplies drive to both wheels.

I don't see it on their website right now, but Lightfoot at least used
to offer it as an option on all their trikes. Maybe they still do.
Might be worth dropping them a line -
http://www.lightfootcycles.com/trikes.htm
Old June 3rd 05, 06:16 PM
Jeff Grippe

"Jeff Wills" wrote in message

It would be helpful to know where you saw these, but many
two-wheel-drive-rear axles are built by the manufacturer. You'll have
to talk directly to them.

"Positive traction" sometimes means that that power is supplied to both
rear wheels through independant freewheels instead of a differential.
This arrangement allows the outside wheel to turn faster than the
drivetrain when the vehicle is turning.

This is exactly what I am looking for. The Mountain Quad from Crank It
(www.crank-it.com) and the Rhoades Car (I don't have the URL handy) both
have this feature. I have emailed both of them and neither has responded. I
assume that they didn't respond because I wasn't a potential buyer but I
don't actually know whey they didn't respond.

Thanks,

Jeff

Old June 3rd 05, 07:20 PM
Jeff Wills

Jeff Grippe wrote:
"Jeff Wills" wrote in message

It would be helpful to know where you saw these, but many
two-wheel-drive-rear axles are built by the manufacturer. You'll have
to talk directly to them.

"Positive traction" sometimes means that that power is supplied to both
rear wheels through independant freewheels instead of a differential.
This arrangement allows the outside wheel to turn faster than the
drivetrain when the vehicle is turning.

This is exactly what I am looking for. The Mountain Quad from Crank It
(www.crank-it.com) and the Rhoades Car (I don't have the URL handy) both
have this feature. I have emailed both of them and neither has responded. I
assume that they didn't respond because I wasn't a potential buyer but I
don't actually know whey they didn't respond.

Thanks,

Jeff

The Crank-It's rear axle uses dual freewheels to allow the outside
wheel to spin faster in a turn, as I said above. The Rhoades Car uses a
similar setup as far as I can tell, but their website is darn short on
details. Both systems are integral with their vehicle designs and
probably not available seperately.

You might also want to contact Worksman: http://www.worksman.com/ to
see if their rear axle is available seperately. I think they have
two-wheel-drive units, but I'm not certain.

Other Jeff

Old June 3rd 05, 07:26 PM
bent_pilot

"Jeff Wills" wrote in message
ups.com...

Jeff Grippe wrote:
"Jeff Wills" wrote in message

[...]

Do they mount the freewheels the same direction, or rebuild the left one so
it has reversed pawls?

Old June 3rd 05, 07:50 PM
Jeff Wills

bent_pilot wrote:

Do they mount the freewheels the same direction, or rebuild the left one so
it has reversed pawls?

I would assume they're mounted in the "normal" orientation, or one side
uses an ACS "Southpaw" left-side freewheel. Reversing the pawls sounds
like a pretty hairy operation to me.

Jeff

Do you think that Tyler Hamilton is positive about what he's doing??? Richard Longwood Racing 49 September 28th 04 04:13 PM
"Fuentes disputes positive" or How the USCF promotes doping... [email protected] Racing 49 August 9th 04 07:41 PM
rotor cranks andy Techniques 66 November 5th 03 03:23 PM
Fork Overhaul ended in Pilot Vs Axel Andrew Mountain Biking 6 July 19th 03 11:44 AM