Record Brake Pads and or refills

Old April 16th 08, 08:47 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Chris M

Default Record Brake Pads and or refills

I have used Campy Record (with a few Chorus bits here and there) since
pre-Ergo-Power / STI era. I installed Ergo levers in late 1993 for
the 1994 season. In that time till today, I updated bikes to match new
bikes that had / have complete Record sets. I think the bike I am
working on has primarily 2002 Record, maybe 2003 model year. The
calipers are the “D” model (long before the 2007 “Skeleton” changes)..
I can’t figure out how to replace the pads or refill them. The problem
I find is that the other pads I have around are not shaped to fit in
the orbital recess. For flat pads, the profile that effects them
causes the pads to move down below the ideal location for gripping the
rim’s brake surfaces. Is there any way to install pads properly
through a readily available alternative for either the entire pad, or
to refill those that I have. Also, there are no set screws and it
looks like the one end being open means I need to push them out
against the direction that the rim surface pushes them.

Any ideas or insights? I need to use these calipers ASAP, or I will
need to install a caliper lying around and I have not used any other
calipers since moving to the Sierra foothills where brake performance
is critical from the moment I leave the driveway.

Old April 16th 08, 09:16 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
N8N

On Apr 16, 3:47*pm, Chris M wrote:
[...]

Just so happens I was just looking at brake pads last night, Kool Stop
sells two different styles of Campy refills and also a "campy style"
holder with replaceable insert, could one of these options possibly
work for you?

good luck

nate
Old April 16th 08, 10:12 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
A R:nen

Chris M writes:

Also, there are no set screws and it
looks like the one end being open means I need to push them out
against the direction that the rim surface pushes them.

The easiest way to remove the pad is to insert the head of a flat
screwdriver (a depth of 5 to 10 mm should be plenty) between the
bottom of the pad and the holder from the open end and twist. Use
pliers to push the replacement pad into place.
Old April 16th 08, 11:21 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
RLB[_2_]

Chris M wrote in news:d192ca79-74c7-4704-8acc-
:

http://www.koolstop.com/brakes/index...hor-Campi-9880
http://www.westernbikeworks.com/sear...bp&man=ks&tn=0