Any advice on Cramerotti frames?

Old September 22nd 04, 05:42 AM
meckle

Default Any advice on Cramerotti frames?

OK, here is the story. I am fairly new to road biking but have falle
in love with the sport after making the transition from mtb.
currently own an dura ace/ultrega mix Cannondale 2.8 and am looking t
upgrade the frame to somethng a bit more compliant.

I have about 1200.00 to spend and have been looking at both used an
new frames. Because I currently own a Cannondale I have been lookng a
a used *caad 7* frame well within my price range but am also intereste
in a *Cramerotti Fiamma*.

Open to suggestions as well as opinions between these two. I know tha
many of you will suggest riding the bikes and I have done that an
between the Crameotti and the Cannondale it seems a difficult call.
Thanks for your advice. Blessings

--
meckle

Old September 22nd 04, 03:54 PM
Harris

meckle wrote:

OK, here is the story. I am fairly new to road biking but have fallen
in love with the sport after making the transition from mtb. I
currently own an dura ace/ultrega mix Cannondale 2.8 and am looking to
upgrade the frame to somethng a bit more compliant.

I assume by "compliant" you mean a smoother, less harsh ride. How about
switching to slightly wider tires with slightly less pressure?

I have about 1200.00 to spend and have been looking at both used and
new frames. Because I currently own a Cannondale I have been lookng at
a used *caad 7* frame well within my price range but am also interested
in a *Cramerotti Fiamma*.

Open to suggestions as well as opinions between these two. I know that
many of you will suggest riding the bikes and I have done that and
between the Crameotti and the Cannondale it seems a difficult call.

A lot depends on you. Your height/weight, intended use, road conditions,
etc. If you didn't notice much difference in the test ride, then go with
whichever is cheaper or fits better. But I'm not sure you really need a
new bike. What will the new bike do that the old one won't?

Art Harris
Old September 23rd 04, 12:42 AM
Tom Paterson

From: "Per Elmsäter"

This was not a laboratory test and I did not check tire brand and pressure.
However I kind of figure they were the standard issue from Trek and that the
LBS guy pumped them up to a decent pressure.
However I assure you that the differences were bigger than any you'd notice
between different tires, widths and pressures
Since I bought one of them I can also say that in the following two years
have I not been able to duplicate the same harsh ride as on the other model.
Even though I've traveled all sorts of roads, tires and tire pressures since
then.

For curiousity's sake, what was the most pressure you put in any of your tires?
--TP
Old September 23rd 04, 08:34 AM
Per Elmsäter

From: "Per Elmsäter"

This was not a laboratory test and I did not check tire brand and
pressure. However I kind of figure they were the standard issue from
Trek and that the LBS guy pumped them up to a decent pressure.
However I assure you that the differences were bigger than any you'd
notice between different tires, widths and pressures
Since I bought one of them I can also say that in the following two
years have I not been able to duplicate the same harsh ride as on
the other model. Even though I've traveled all sorts of roads, tires
and tire pressures since then.

For curiousity's sake, what was the most pressure you put in any of
your tires? --TP

On my 23 mm tires I usually run between 100 - 130 psi depending on the road.
110 psi is pretty much standard issue on the roads around where I live.

--
Perre

Old September 23rd 04, 10:52 AM
John Forrest Tomlinson

On Wed, 22 Sep 2004 17:05:20 GMT, "Per Elmsäter"
wrote:

I absolutely disagree on that. I did a test ride on a Trek 2300 ( Alu ) and
a Trek 5200 ( Carbon). Both have the identical geometry according to Trek
and they were the same size frames. The difference in feel, comfort and
handling was significant.

Let me guess -- whatever was more expensive felt better.

JT

****************************
Remove "remove" to reply
Visit http://www.jt10000.com
****************************
Old September 23rd 04, 11:11 AM
Per Elmsäter

wrote:

I absolutely disagree on that. I did a test ride on a Trek 2300 (
Alu ) and a Trek 5200 ( Carbon). Both have the identical geometry
according to Trek and they were the same size frames. The difference
in feel, comfort and handling was significant.

Let me guess -- whatever was more expensive felt better.

Wrong. They were actually selling for the same price, due to them being
models of different years, but still demo exes from the shop. Of course one
of them was a better bargain in my eyes at least.

But. Why don't y'all go to your nearest Trek dealer and do the same thing.
Chances are that many of them will have both the 5200 and the 2300 in stock.

--
Perre

Sounding off: On unsound wheels and sound advice Luke Techniques 10 May 15th 04 08:12 PM
FAQ Just zis Guy, you know? UK 27 September 5th 03 10:58 PM
Economics of Custom Frame Building in non Ferrous Materials AndyMorris Techniques 29 August 29th 03 02:23 PM