2 people, 2 bikes and a 700 sqft apartment

Old May 12th 07, 09:51 PM posted to rec.bicycles.misc

Default 2 people, 2 bikes and a 700 sqft apartment

Actually, if you are creative and are good with tools you can always
come up with a solution. My wife and I have 3 bikes and a tandem and
we are in a 600 sq ft cottage. And we still have things like a full
size dining table, a bed, a guest futon, etc.

Here is the rack I was talking about (and don't have any use for
anymore).

http://www.performancebike.com/shop/...tegory_ID=6600

Old May 13th 07, 05:30 AM posted to rec.bicycles.misc
Ryan Cousineau

In article . com,
" wrote:

Ok, I did a search on this group looking for bike storage solutions,
but didn't find anything (other than that eliminate the furniture
post) that could prove useful. Basically, dh and I each have bikes
and no place to put them (I mean, other than in the kitchen, but that
means we can't get in there). We are interested in those bike racks
that lean against the wall (gravity racks?) or some other similar
situation. Basically, we can't really mount something to the walls or
ceiling, a la the hooks, and are searching for something. Any advice
is MUCH appreciated.

Thanks!
Anne

I don't think anyone pointed out this specific solution:

http://www.rei.com/product/705469

Pole-mount two bike rack. Basically, there's two bike hangers on a
vertical pole. The pole can be telescoped so that it is firmly loaded
against the ceiling and the floor, which are the only places the thing
actually touches the apartment. No holes.

This Topeak B2 is one of several similar designs in the market. I would
try them out, but not particularly fret about the potential stability
problems: two bikes weigh maybe 75, 80 pounds, right?

Old May 13th 07, 04:02 PM posted to rec.bicycles.misc
Skip

wrote in message
ups.com...
Basically, we can't really mount something to the walls or
ceiling, a la the hooks, and are searching for something. Any advice
is MUCH appreciated.

Thanks!
Anne

Back in my college days (more than 30 years ago :-( ) I made a simple
bracket (a pencil will do) that I put in my rear wheel to prevent it from
turning (it went through the rear wheel, and jammed the spokes against the
seat-stays).

With this simple item, I could then "park" my bike pretty close to vertical
against an appropriate wall (in a corner so that it would not tip over).

Visualize -- Stand the bike on its rear wheel in a corner so that it can't
tip over sideways. Then put the gizmo through the spokes so the rear wheel
won't turn. Viola!

- Skip

Old May 13th 07, 05:26 PM posted to rec.bicycles.misc
Leo Lichtman

"Skip" wrote: (clip) Visualize -- Stand the bike on its rear wheel in a
corner so that it can't tip over sideways. Then put the gizmo through the
spokes so the rear wheel won't turn. Viola!
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
That HAS to be the all-time world record for the slightest, cheapest,
simplest, most ingenious bike storage system. Future improvements will be
incremental--for example, use a titanium ferrule to hold the pencil eraser.

Old May 13th 07, 08:21 PM posted to rec.bicycles.misc

I have one of these:

http://www.performancebike.com/shop/...tegory_ID=6600

and have an extra pair of the short arms for the back so I
theoretecally could have four bikes on the rack at a time, but have
gone up only to three.

It's OK in quality (I wouldn't do chin-ups on it as I could with my
previous, home-made, non-adjustable wooden rack of a similar design),
and easy to assemble and adjust.

Famous People Who Cycle Folding Bikes? [email protected] UK 4 February 28th 07 07:17 PM
Bikes for very fat people Colin UK 30 July 27th 06 06:21 PM
So many bikes, so many people, America exercises. Maggie General 68 April 14th 05 10:32 PM
Getting more people out on their bikes Wild Wind UK 32 June 14th 04 09:21 AM
Bikes For Fat People [email protected] Techniques 8 September 16th 03 01:43 AM