lickton's gets no more business from me!

Old April 25th 08, 05:51 PM posted to rec.bicycles.misc,rec.bicycles.racing,rec.bicycles.marketplace,rec.bicycles.soc
dvt

Default lickton's gets no more business from me!

Carl Sundquist wrote:

"SMS" wrote in message
t...
Tom Keats wrote:
In article ,
Zoot Katz writes:

[snip Walter's anti-Lickman's rant]

Tell ya what, Walter, go get me a shiney sharp object from your
kitchen drawer.

I recommend a grapefruit knife.

I've ridden all over town in my quest for the Perfect
Grapefruit Knife. I want an old-style one, with
wooden scales + brass rivets on the handle, like an
old-style paring knife (of which I have plenty.)

"http://www.ablekitchen.com/ProductDetails.asp?ProductCode=BH-573815&Click=8779"

$34.93 for 12 of them.

How much is shipping?

That was *funny*. Laugh out loud funny. Thanks, Carl.
Old April 26th 08, 04:58 AM posted to rec.bicycles.misc,rec.bicycles.racing,rec.bicycles.marketplace,rec.bicycles.soc,alt.usenet.legends.lester-mosley
marika

"Tim McNamara" wrote in message

Lickton's is a brick and mortar shop that has been in business for at
least 30+ years, since I first did business with them in 1978 and they
were well-known then. Bob Lickton is notorious cranky and, from a
customer service perspective, that's not a particularly good thing as
you point out. On the other hand, he's managed to be in business for a
long time and to develop a reputation as one of the better shops in the
Chicago area. So he's done something right.

I'm baffled by buying a lock ring by mail order and not just riding down
to the LBS to get one. Unless you only have LBSes with worse customer
service than Lickton's.

As a customer, of course, you certainly have the right to no longer do
business with them if their service was unsatisfactory from your
perspective.

i don't know but this is a good story...but that has no turning point about
animals

Old April 26th 08, 09:55 AM posted to rec.bicycles.misc,rec.bicycles.racing,rec.bicycles.marketplace,rec.bicycles.soc
Tom Keats

In article ,
"Carl Sundquist" writes:

"SMS" wrote in message
t...
Tom Keats wrote:
In article ,
Zoot Katz writes:

[snip Walter's anti-Lickman's rant]

Tell ya what, Walter, go get me a shiney sharp object from your
kitchen drawer.

I recommend a grapefruit knife.

I've ridden all over town in my quest for the Perfect
Grapefruit Knife. I want an old-style one, with
wooden scales + brass rivets on the handle, like an
old-style paring knife (of which I have plenty.)

"http://www.ablekitchen.com/ProductDetails.asp?ProductCode=BH-573815&Click=8779"

$34.93 for 12 of them.

How much is shipping?

I'd rather ride there and get it myself.

And I only need one.

Chances are I'd have to pay customs/duty on it, too.

Oh, well.

A good grapefruit knife is worth it.

So's a good, adventurous ride.

cheers,
Tom

--
Nothing is safe from me.
I'm really at:
Old April 26th 08, 10:21 AM posted to rec.bicycles.misc,rec.bicycles.racing,rec.bicycles.marketplace,rec.bicycles.soc
Tom Keats

In article ,
Donald Munro writes:
Tom Keats wrote:
What's so special about a /Campy/ lockring anyways? (I'm assuming bottom
bracket, not headset.)

Cassette presumably ?

ISTM Ritchey makes Campagnolo-compatible stuff,
and there're plenty of Ritchey on-line/mail-order
suppliers.

I dunno what they'd charge for S & H.

cheers,
Tom

Old May 10th 08, 07:03 PM posted to rec.bicycles.misc,rec.bicycles.marketplace
Dane Buson

In rec.bicycles.misc SMS wrote:

Another item I've found at Lickton's are the elusive Ciussi Elite VIP
Universal Cage Mount. He charges $7.95. Harris Cyclery charges $15.95
for the same item. It's a very unique item not found in any bicycle
shop, but that's quite a difference in mark-up!

"http://www.lickbike.com/productpage.aspx?PART_NUM_SUB='3242-00'"
"http://sheldonbrown.com/harris/accessories.html"

Ah, thank you for that. I have a couple bikes with no bottle cage
mounting holes that I was wanting to fix up. These should do handily.

So, another person seduced to the dark side of Licktons.

--
Dane Buson -
"Our wines leave you nothing to hope for."
Old May 10th 08, 11:04 PM posted to rec.bicycles.misc,rec.bicycles.marketplace
Tom Keats

In article ,
Dane Buson writes:
In rec.bicycles.misc SMS wrote:

Another item I've found at Lickton's are the elusive Ciussi Elite VIP
Universal Cage Mount. He charges $7.95. Harris Cyclery charges $15.95
for the same item. It's a very unique item not found in any bicycle
shop, but that's quite a difference in mark-up!

"http://www.lickbike.com/productpage.aspx?PART_NUM_SUB='3242-00'"
"http://sheldonbrown.com/harris/accessories.html"

Ah, thank you for that. I have a couple bikes with no bottle cage
mounting holes that I was wanting to fix up. These should do handily.

So, another person seduced to the dark side of Licktons.

Aw, Licktons can't be /that/ diabolical. Or even
as diabolical as a double-eighteen set of dominoes,
or a cup of coffee sweetened with English mints, or
a front wheel drive safety bicycle. Or Sheldon Brown's
thing with the multiple handlebars.

IIRC Ron Hardin (hi, Ron! wave, smile) obtains
replacement parts for his Huffies from Licktons,
and he's quite practical-minded. So, there's yet
another satisfied customer.

cheers,
Tom