Million Pound Bike Ride

Old March 25th 10, 07:02 AM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Tom Crispin[_2_]

Default Million Pound Bike Ride

On Wed, 24 Mar 2010 22:52:53 +0000, (Roger Merriman)
wrote:

Unfortunately I am barred from urcm so I have to reply he

Tom Crispin wrote:

On Wed, 24 Mar 2010 15:35:59 +0000, David Damerell
wrote:

Quoting Tom Crispin :
About 5 years ago I realised that I was able to climb steep hills
which other cyclists, who I consider to be far better cyclists than
me, fail to climb. Until recently I thought it was down to gearing,
but have recently changed my mind.

Gearing is not always pertinent. On the Dun Run last year I was crawling
up hills at walking speed in, I suppose, roughly a 40" gear... directly
behind Steve Abraham, doing the same thing in about a 90" gear. His
endless pedal strokes are strangely mesmerising.

I think it's more down to the ability to ride at very low speeds. If you
can get the speed down that you've got enough power to ride at, you stay
on.

I can't track stand and I can't ride for any distance without hands,
so my balance can't be that good.

I think mine is, though I have never tried to ride with out hands so
probably will never. my childhood riding was off road so with out hands
would = face plant.

I can trackstand long enought normally for a gap in traffic. though I
guess I could try to learn to do it.

I can slow to close to zero at lights, but I have to keep moving
forward at a crawl.

but in terms of steep hills i can slow to zero for a little while when
waiting to pass a car and pull away again.

my fittness is the limiting factor than torque and balance.

hence I like short sharp hills.

I love long climbs. I end up at close to collapse at the top, but I
still love 'em!
Old March 25th 10, 07:41 AM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Doug[_3_]

wrote:

Unfortunately I am barred from urcm so I have to reply he

That'll teach you to use moderated, aka censored, newsgroups.

wrote:

[...]

Good exercise but rather beyond me these days.

Doug.

Old March 25th 10, 09:47 AM posted to uk.rec.cycling
bugbear

Doug wrote:

Good exercise but rather beyond me these days.

Doug.

Are you sure you're a cyclist?

BugBear
Old March 25th 10, 01:04 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Roger Merriman[_3_]

wrote:

[...]

I can stop but not for long maybe 10/30s at most.

but in terms of steep hills i can slow to zero for a little while when
waiting to pass a car and pull away again.

my fittness is the limiting factor than torque and balance.

hence I like short sharp hills.

I love long climbs. I end up at close to collapse at the top, but I
still love 'em!

getting up is no problem, pottering up the Blorange is easy enought but
I tend to just zone out and look at the sheep...

on longer climbs I'm after the view rather than can I beat this hill.

so it's quite slow.

roger
--
www.rogermerriman.com
Old March 25th 10, 01:54 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Esra Sdrawkcab

wrote:

[...]

Blorenge

I tend to just zone out and look at the sheep...

Wrong road, you want the G&C. (long link)
http://maps.google.com/maps?f=q&sour...3&z=12&iwloc=A

on longer climbs I'm after the view rather than can I beat this hill.

so it's quite slow.

roger

--
Nuns! Nuns! Reverse
Old March 25th 10, 04:04 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
The Medway Handyman[_2_]

wrote:

Unfortunately I am barred from urcm so I have to reply he

That'll teach you to use moderated, aka censored, newsgroups.

You claim to have been rammed in this video -

?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pg4WOmrwXPg

The video is 26 seconds long. Could you specify exactly when you were
rammed?

--
Dave - the small piece of 14th century armour used to protect the armpit.

Old March 25th 10, 06:50 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
chris French

In message , Tom Crispin
writes

Unfortunately I am barred from urcm so I have to reply he

No you aren't.
--
Chris French

Old March 25th 10, 07:30 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Tom Crispin

On Thu, 25 Mar 2010 18:50:25 +0000, chris French
wrote:

In message , Tom Crispin
writes

Unfortunately I am barred from urcm so I have to reply he

No you aren't.

A undeniably on-topic post of mine to urcm was blocked because a
moderator was "fed up" with me. That suggets that I am barred, at
least by that deputy.

See:
http://www.chiark.greenend.org.uk/~w...x-2ecom-3e.txt
for details of the blocked post.
Old March 25th 10, 07:57 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Señor Chris

Tom Crispin wrote:
On Thu, 25 Mar 2010 18:50:25 +0000, chris French
wrote:

In message , Tom Crispin
writes
Unfortunately I am barred from urcm so I have to reply he

No you aren't.

A undeniably on-topic post of mine to urcm was blocked because a
moderator was "fed up" with me. That suggets that I am barred, at
least by that deputy.

But not by the other 90% of the moderation panel. So why did you
dishonestly claim you were barred from the group ?

Old March 25th 10, 08:17 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Tom Crispin

On Thu, 25 Mar 2010 19:57:48 +0000, Señor Chris
wrote:

Tom Crispin wrote:
On Thu, 25 Mar 2010 18:50:25 +0000, chris French
wrote:

In message , Tom Crispin
writes
Unfortunately I am barred from urcm so I have to reply he

No you aren't.

A undeniably on-topic post of mine to urcm was blocked because a
moderator was "fed up" with me. That suggets that I am barred, at
least by that deputy.

But not by the other 90% of the moderation panel. So why did you
dishonestly claim you were barred from the group ?

The moderators have always claimed that they act as one. Subsequent
information suggests, in this case, this is not the case. At the time
of my post, 07.02am, I was not privy to the split this post blocking
has caused in the moderation panel. So far, only Danny Colyer has
fully distanced himself from the decision, though Peter Clinch and Ian
Jackson have gone some way towards distancing themselves.

I was not being dishonest, I was simply making a call based on
available information.