Experiences with Tom Teesdale???

Old September 7th 04, 12:41 AM
Mike C.

Default Experiences with Tom Teesdale???

Hello All,

I'm deciding on whether to have Tom Teesdale custom build a Greenspeed style
recumbent trike for me or not. I have read some negative postings on this
and other newsgroups about him, mostly about bad paint jobs and poor
customer service.

I'd appreciate some input, both positive and negative, from those of you who
have purchased stuff from him.

Thanks,
Mike C.

Please remove the NOSPAM from the e-mail address to correspond with me

Old September 7th 04, 03:31 AM
JA

Tom has built a lot of bikes, and when I have dealt with him he has been
very professional.

John

ink.net...

Old September 7th 04, 04:13 AM
Frank

Tom built an 853 road frame and fork for me about 5 years ago. He was very
good about working with me on the size and measurements and we exchanged
many, many e-mails before I made the decision to buy.

Tom sent me CAD drawings of the frame and fork for my final approval before
he started working on it. I discussed with him my concern about the paint
and he offered to sell the frame and fork bare or to paint it for me. I
looked through a Dupont Imron book and chose to have him paint it a metallic
Sherwood Green.

The bike arrived just as ordered and rode and looked great. I rode it for
many miles before selling it (like I seem to do with all of them
eventually!) to a girl whose dad was looking to get her a bike for
Christmas.

As you noted, there are postings about the negative experiences with
Teesdale but mine was positive throughout.

Frank

Old September 7th 04, 05:45 AM
Robert L. Bass

I have not seen any negative feedback concerning TET. My wife and I are
looking into getting a tandem trike so we can ride together. Any thoughts
on Mr. Teesdale's trike offerings? I checked out his website but was unable
to figure out what he charges for a complete trike.

Regards,
Robert

Old September 7th 04, 09:59 PM
Tim McNamara

Tom Teesdale has been the target of a lot of complaints in the
newsgroups, and has had a fair number of defenders who have had
positive experiences with him. A Google search of rec.bicycles.*
would uncover both. I haven't heard anything one way or the other in
quite a while.
Old September 7th 04, 11:46 PM
patrick

i have bought 3 bikes from tom - all exactly as
described and delivered timely. great rides. the
rear entry ritchey dropouts were the bomb on the
crit bike with bent seat tubes. plus, he built me
a custom cx bike... very very nice...

the paint is not perfect.. but the price was very
competitive with mass produced bikes of lesser
quality. the only 'bad' thing was that the
paint does appear to chip more then on other
bikes i have owned. no clue why.

yes, the very very specific caad diagrams were a
treat and allowed me to customize what i wanted to
do (ie; the cross bike was a mix of road and mtb
tubesets... stiffer stays and gentle main triangle
for comfort.

tom is a very cool dude and would surely welcome
a discussion (including about pricing.. for those
of you who commented it is not on his web - just
send him an email?)

yes. I'd like a richard sachs.. or another chris
kelly cx bike.. or a ... oh the list goes on...
but truth be told, for the money, i'd surely give
tom another order in a heartbeat.

patrick

Old September 8th 04, 02:18 AM
weiwentg

Mike C. Wrote:
Hello All,

I'm deciding on whether to have Tom Teesdale custom build a Greenspeed
style
recumbent trike for me or not. I have read some negative postings on
this
and other newsgroups about him, mostly about bad paint jobs and poor
customer service.

I'd appreciate some input, both positive and negative, from those of
you who
have purchased stuff from him.

Thanks,
Mike C.

Please remove the NOSPAM from the e-mail address to correspond with me

not bad paint _jobs_ per se, more like bad paint. ask for a
powdercoat.
my CX bike was built with cable stops on the headtube, which means I
couldn't turn the bars more than 90 degrees or the front brake cable
would run into either of the derailleur cables. the bike is now a
singlespeed commuter. the ordering process was to my satisfaction, and
it did see me through a season of CX.

--
weiwentg

Old September 8th 04, 05:00 AM
Robert L. Bass

Tom Teesdale has been the target of a lot of complaints in the
newsgroups, and has had a fair number of defenders who have had
positive experiences with him. A Google search of rec.bicycles.*
would uncover both. I haven't heard anything one way or the other in
quite a while.

I know what it is to have competitors on the attack in newsgroups.
Hopefully his business is better than what some say or at least as good as
what others say. I've contacted him for information on a tandem trike I'm
interested in having built.

On that note, I wonder if anyone has some advice for me on what frame
material and components to request. Much as I love riding, I confess I've
little knowledge of the merits of various makes and models.

Regards,
Robert L Bass

=============================
Bass Home Electronics
2291 Pine View Circle
Sarasota · Florida · 34231
877-722-8900 Sales & Tech Support
http://www.bassburglaralarms.com
=============================

Old September 8th 04, 05:11 AM
Robert L. Bass

i have bought 3 bikes from tom - all exactly as
described and delivered timely. great rides...

That's encouraging.

the rear entry ritchey dropouts were the bomb
on the crit bike with bent seat tubes. plus, he
built me a custom cx bike... very very nice...

Huh? Forgive my ignorance but what are those?

the paint is not perfect.. but the price was very
competitive with mass produced bikes of lesser
quality. the only 'bad' thing was that the
paint does appear to chip more then on other
bikes i have owned. no clue why.

I can deal with that if a bottle of touch-up is supplied with the trike.

yes, the very very specific caad diagrams were a
treat and allowed me to customize what i wanted
to do (ie; the cross bike was a mix of road and
mtb tubesets... stiffer stays and gentle main triangle
for comfort.

Speaking of frame tubes... I *think* I ought to get something without
suspension. On the RANS Vivo I always feel as though I'm spending a lot of
energy compressing the shocks instead of turning the wheels. OTOH, I'm not
100% sure this is the best idea. Will a non-suspended trike ride so roughly
as to tire my hands after a few dozen miles? Or will it not make much
difference?

Also, although I like the speed of my RANS bike I don't like holding my arms
out in front of me all day on long rides. Do you know if Tom makes a USS
trike? If so, any thoughts on this would also be appreciated.

tom is a very cool dude and would surely welcome
a discussion (including about pricing.. for those
of you who commented it is not on his web - just
send him an email?)

I'm waiting for his reply to my initial contact. I'll let you know how
things go.

yes. I'd like a richard sachs.. or another chris
kelly cx bike.. or a ... oh the list goes on...
but truth be told, for the money, i'd surely give
tom another order in a heartbeat.

Thanks for the feedback.

Regards,
Robert L Bass