Need help with Wheel Walk

Old May 1st 06, 07:50 PM posted to rec.sport.unicycling

Default Need help with Wheel Walk

Hi, just wondering if anyone could give me tipps on learning how to
wheel walk. I can go maybe 2 steps wheel walking. I ride a 20" Quax
muni.

I would appreciate any tipps, small coments,or videos of them self
doing it.

--
Uni-D3
Uni-D3's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/11255

Old May 1st 06, 09:22 PM posted to rec.sport.unicycling

20" qu-ax muni?? i think you mean trials but. with wheel walking its the
same a s riding. lean forward and keep the wheel moving at all times.

--
trials_uni

TRIALS 4 LIFE !
[image: http://tinyurl.com/qz2fv ]

koebwil wrote:
I'm too hardcore to type. I just punch the keyboard and delete the
letters I don't want

w00t...i got reply # 60666 in MR

Old May 2nd 06, 02:10 AM posted to rec.sport.unicycling

trials_uni wrote:
lean forward

While wheel walking you should be leaning backwards, not forwards,
other than that trials_uni's advice is sound.

--
Brian O.

Old May 2nd 06, 03:13 AM posted to rec.sport.unicycling

Brian O. wrote:
While wheel walking you should be leaning backwards, not forwards, other
than that trials_uni's advice is sound.

No, you don't actually lean backwards when wheel walking. It only
feels like you do.

Look at pictures and video of people wheel walking. Most people are
bent slightly forward at the hips. Some people do a slight weight
shift by slightly rolling the hips forward (in effect pushing your butt
out). There is no actual physical leaning back.

Hold on to a fence or wall. Get in the wheel walking position with one
foot in front of the other on the tire. Adjust your upper body
position so you're stable. That's going to be approximately your body
position for wheel walking. Note that you are NOT leaning backwards.
If you lean backwards you will fall flat on your back.

When you wheel walk you have the weight of both of your lower legs out
in front of the axle. That causes a slight weight distribution problem
compared to regular riding. That weight out in front of the axle needs
to be countered, but you do not counter it by leaning back. You
counter it by slightly rolling your hips forward to push your butt out.
You actually end up leaning slightly forwards at the hips. Once you
learn to wheel walk you'll notice that the weight distribution change
is fairly subtle and nothing dramatic. Certainly nothing that requires
an actual leaning back.

Another tip is to go toe, heel, toe, heel, toe, heel... ... ... ...
Start with the toe on the tire next to the crown. Roll the foot
forward till the back of the heel is in contact with the tire. At that
point you put the toe of the other foot up by the crown and you'll have
the heel of one foot and the toe of the other foot on the tire. At
that point it is safe to take the heel off the tire and prepare to get
that foot in position to take another push.

Toe, heel, toe, heel...

--
john_childs

john_childs (att) hotmail (dott) com
Gallery: http://gallery.unicyclist.com/john_childs
'Unicycling Bookmark List' (http://backcountry.unicyclist.com/) ::
'World Clock' (http://tinyurl.com/a99y3)

Old May 2nd 06, 06:45 AM posted to rec.sport.unicycling

john_childs wrote:
What John said

That's one of the best guides your gonna get so just follow
that and practice, it may take months to learn, or you may get it in a
few weeks. Wheel Walking is a difficult skill to learn but is worth the
learning process.

Now we just need more people to reply like that instead of saying "use
the search" lol, but remind them to search before they post their next
thread =p

--
Jerrick

'MRIS!!!' (http://tinyurl.com/jjjnz)

kristine wrote:
great minds think alike....
orrrrr... great minds get naked and unicycle?

Kristine wrote:
pssssshhhhh, whos been on top longest?

Old May 2nd 06, 07:14 AM posted to rec.sport.unicycling

try 180° unispin to ww... thats cool too.

--
zaro

it was like that when i got here...
zaro's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/11517

Old May 2nd 06, 09:43 AM posted to rec.sport.unicycling

Here's a 'guide to wheel walking'
(http://www.unicycling.org/unicycling...wheelwalk.html) taken from
the 'skill levels list'
(http://www.unicycling.org/unicycling/skills/skills.html).

Unfortunately I don't think that it is an ideal guide for learning to
wheel walk. Some of the suggestions and hints lead you to think you
have to lean back farther than is necessary. It doesn't mention the
trick about pushing your butt back. The picture of Dustin Kelm is
impressive, but not a good example of proper wheel walking form. He's
racing at high speed (high speed for wheel walking) and form is
secondary to speed. It would be better to have a picture that
demonstrates better form.

The seven steps for learning are good and some of the suggestions and
hints are good. Just don't get hung up on the "Lean back more than you
think you need to" hint. The goal is to stay balanced over the wheel
and not lean back like it's a La-Z-Boy.

Old May 3rd 06, 06:46 AM posted to rec.sport.unicycling

Just for kicks today I tried wheel walking while bending as far forward
as I could and stretching my arms out in front. Basically I was
putting my chest down to my lap. No problem. You do NOT need to lean
back to wheel walk. You just need to keep your weight (center of
gravity) relatively centered over the axle which generally means
keeping your bellybutton over the axle. If you can lean back and still
keep your bellybutton over the axle then more power to ya.

Old May 3rd 06, 07:00 AM posted to rec.sport.unicycling

Lately, I have gone for the low impact workouts and am dabbling in WW
taking 15 minutes here, or 10 minutes, there. Yep, that's usually my
weekly workout these days. Trials is taking a back seat.

On a good try, I can go about 15 feet.

I concur on the move the hips thing. It really does work, though it's
very subtle.

It's funny, I am back to using a wall or rail again, just like when I
was first learning to ride 4 years ago. It's much the same "kick" when
you lengthen the distance ridden and also work in some adjustments to
your direction.

A definate crowd pleaser.

Cheers.

--
teachndad

Rod Wylie 'MountainUnicyclingLA.com'
(http://www.mountainunicyclingla.com)
'Greater Los Angeles Area Trails - Images'
(http://gallery.unicyclist.com/Greate...Angeles-Trails)
'UnicycleRoundupLA.com/' (http://unicycleroundupla.com/)
teachndad's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/56

Old May 3rd 06, 01:18 PM posted to rec.sport.unicycling

zaro wrote:
try 180° unispin to ww... thats cool too.

I've got to try that!

--
freddy

Fredrik, Norway. )--O