Shimano freehub body compatibility

Old June 14th 06, 10:28 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

Default Shimano freehub body compatibility

Which Shimano freehub body will not fit on my 1989/1990 XT hub ? Will
any new 7 speed fit ?
Old June 15th 06, 12:01 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

http://sheldonbrown.com/k7.html#transplant

--
daveornee

Old June 15th 06, 12:47 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

daveornee wrote:
MSeries Wrote:
Which Shimano freehub body will not fit on my 1989/1990 XT hub ? Will
any new 7 speed fit ?

http://sheldonbrown.com/k7.html#transplant

Sheldon says: "Virtually all Shimano freehub bodies are
interchangeable". In addition to the exceptions Sheldon provides, look
out for sprocket-to-spoke clearance. I've found that some cassette
bodies allow the big cog to contact the drive-side spokes. This is
particularly true when installing a cheaper cassette body on an XT hub.
I believe the XT hub was designed to have the cassette body recessed a
little more than other hubs on the Shimano line. The body itself will
fit on the hub, but the cassette won't. No amount of spacers will help
this- there's not enough room for a proper spacer.

Note: my XT cassette body *does not* look like this:
http://harriscyclery.net/page.cfm?Pa...ils&sku=FW8950
Mine includes an aluminum spacer ring at the inside end.

Jeff