Shimano freehub body replacement choices

Old April 3rd 07, 06:23 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

Default Shimano freehub body replacement choices

My freehub body failed and I need a replacement. The hub is a Shimano
M525 Disk and should take any Shimano 8/9 speed hub. I've read about
some poor quality in Shimano free bodies and I'm wondering which one
to get - Deore/Alivio, Deore LX, or Deore XT. My LBS has all of these
and they have the LX on sale for $20. Is it worth paying $40 for the
XT?

Old April 3rd 07, 06:44 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
charlie_brown

On Apr 3, 11:36 am, M-gineering wrote:
wrote:
Myfreehubbody failed and I need a replacement. The hub is a Shimano
M525 Disk and should take any Shimano 8/9 speed hub. I've read about
some poor quality in Shimano free bodies and I'm wondering which one
to get -Deore/Alivio,DeoreLX, orDeoreXT. My LBS has all of these
and they have theLXon sale for $20. Is it worth paying $40 for the
XT?

Save yourself a load of trouble and go for the original one. Unless you
want to become an expert on the tiny differences between freehubs

--
---
Marten Gerritsen

INFOapestaartjeM-GINEERINGpuntNLwww.m-gineering.nl

Can you be more specific? What kind of trouble?

Old April 3rd 07, 06:55 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
M-gineering

wrote:
Myfreehubbody failed and I need a replacement. The hub is a Shimano
M525 Disk and should take any Shimano 8/9 speed hub. I've read about
some poor quality in Shimano free bodies and I'm wondering which one
to get -Deore/Alivio,DeoreLX, orDeoreXT. My LBS has all of these
and they have theLXon sale for $20. Is it worth paying $40 for the
XT?

Save yourself a load of trouble and go for the original one. Unless you
want to become an expert on the tiny differences between freehubs

--
---
Marten Gerritsen

INFOapestaartjeM-GINEERINGpuntNLwww.m-gineering.nl

Can you be more specific? What kind of trouble?

cones won't fit because there are quite a few sealdesigns around, and
the depth of the hubs isn't always the same either. So cannibalizing a
complete hub for freehub and cone etc isn't a guaranteed success either

--
---

Old April 3rd 07, 06:57 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
A Muzi

charlie_brown wrote:
Can you be more specific? What kind of trouble?

The spacer under the body and the various seals on its backside are
slightly different by model/year. If you have time, you can pretty much
make any body work on any hub but Marten's right - the correct part
avoids a lot of screwing around. Lube it with a heavy oil (Hypoid 90,
Phil Wood, etc) on installation and it will last longer.

--
Andrew Muzi
www.yellowjersey.org
Old April 3rd 07, 07:06 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
charlie_brown

charlie_brown wrote:
Can you be more specific? What kind of trouble?

The spacer under the body and the various seals on its backside are
slightly different by model/year. If you have time, you can pretty much
make any body work on any hub but Marten's right - the correct part
avoids a lot of screwing around. Lube it with a heavy oil (Hypoid 90,
Phil Wood, etc) on installation and it will last longer.

--
Andrew Muziwww.yellowjersey.org
Open every day since 1 April, 1971

The original part is probably the sheapest Deore/Alivio(part
Y3A398020 ?) which, based on the reports I have seen, is one of the
worst pieces of crap Shimano has produced. So, I doubt if I'll use
that one. Hopefully the LX isn't too much different dimensionally, so
maybe I'll use that one.

Old April 3rd 07, 07:38 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
A Muzi

A Muzi wrote:
The spacer under the body and the various seals on its backside are
slightly different by model/year. If you have time, you can pretty much
make any body work on any hub but Marten's right - the correct part
avoids a lot of screwing around. Lube it with a heavy oil (Hypoid 90,
Phil Wood, etc) on installation and it will last longer.

charlie_brown wrote:
The original part is probably the cheapest Deore/Alivio(part
Y3A398020 ?) which, based on the reports I have seen, is one of the
worst pieces of crap Shimano has produced. So, I doubt if I'll use
that one. Hopefully the LX isn't too much different dimensionally, so
maybe I'll use that one.

If it's well lubricated, free of grit, they work OK, the overall design
and pawl dimensions being the same for the whole series. Ultegras
explode too. Use new balls and plenty of fresh grease after a thorough
cleaning.
p.s. the cheapest is FH-RM-40, I believe, $29.95 with skewer. Deores are
not awful by any means.
Old April 4th 07, 12:02 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
John Forrest Tomlinson

wrote:
Myfreehubbody failed and I need a replacement. The hub is a Shimano
M525 Disk and should take any Shimano 8/9 speed hub. I've read about
some poor quality in Shimano free bodies and I'm wondering which one
to get -Deore/Alivio,DeoreLX, orDeoreXT. My LBS has all of these
and they have theLXon sale for $20. Is it worth paying $40 for the
XT?

Save yourself a load of trouble and go for the original one. Unless you
want to become an expert on the tiny differences between freehubs

Can you be more specific? What kind of trouble?

One example is that some freehub bodies sit different distances (left
ot right) from the center of the hub.
--
JT
****************************
Old April 4th 07, 04:02 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Mike Jacoubowsky

The original part is probably the sheapest Deore/Alivio(part
Y3A398020 ?) which, based on the reports I have seen, is one of the
worst pieces of crap Shimano has produced. So, I doubt if I'll use
that one. Hopefully the LX isn't too much different dimensionally, so
maybe I'll use that one.

If you think that's the worst piece of crap Shimano has produced, you're
living pretty well. It's been my experience that even the cheapest Shimano
cassette mechanism has been more reliable than what you find on many
high-end wheelsets from other manufacturers.

There are a couple things Shimano does well pretty much across the board, in
my opinion. Cassette mechanisms and chainrings.

--Mike Jacoubowsky
Chain Reaction Bicycles
www.ChainReaction.com
Redwood City & Los Altos, CA USA

Old April 4th 07, 10:06 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Matt O'Toole

On Wed, 04 Apr 2007 15:02:49 +0000, Mike Jacoubowsky wrote:

The original part is probably the sheapest Deore/Alivio(part
Y3A398020 ?) which, based on the reports I have seen, is one of the
worst pieces of crap Shimano has produced. So, I doubt if I'll use
that one. Hopefully the LX isn't too much different dimensionally, so
maybe I'll use that one.

If you think that's the worst piece of crap Shimano has produced, you're
living pretty well. It's been my experience that even the cheapest Shimano
cassette mechanism has been more reliable than what you find on many
high-end wheelsets from other manufacturers.

There are a couple things Shimano does well pretty much across the board, in
my opinion. Cassette mechanisms and chainrings.

I agree. Shimano's design is superior to anything else. In practice
it works better too, especially over the long haul, and when neglected.

Some may be stronger for super-heavy riders or other special situations,
but otherwise Shimano is best.

One of my biggest complaints with boutique wheels is the crap hubs they
come with.

Matt O.