Help needed for Timorese cyclist

Old July 28th 10, 06:28 AM posted to aus.bicycle
Peter

Default Help needed for Timorese cyclist

Hi Everyone
If you can help out with a small donation to assist with this cause,
please do so.

Peter

Begin forwarded message:
Hey Peter
Here is the email for the bike..
Hugs
nic
Dear CBUG members and supporters. Please see the email below from Nicky
Hungerford, CBUG member and former Cairns resident, now living in East
Timor and looking for donations and support for an East Timorese
cyclist. Anyone who would like to help with this project in any way,
please contact CBUG at or make donations as outlined
below.

"Greetings from Timor Leste and I hope this email finds you all well. In
May I met Francelina Marques Cabral (Anche) who was the only East
Timorese woman (Anche) who went in the Tour de Timor Bike Race last
year. They had a process of selection and only one woman was chosen -
they gave the 24 strong East Timorese team access to bikes to use but
only just before the event and the bike Anche was allocated was way too
big for her. Even so, she came 22nd out of all woman who raced which is
pretty good as it was very competitive with some amazing riders from
across Asia and Australia.

We would like to help Anche do even better this year by getting her a
bike that fits and one she will have ample time to train on. I have
enlisted the help of CBUG as I am here in Timor Leste. CBUG will
coordinate this from Cairns and we are trying to do the logistics from
Dili (no easy feat but anything can be done).

Would you like to donate some money to help this worthwhile project? The
bike will be bought in Cairns (and hopefully shoes as well), shipped to
Darwin by bus then across the Timor Sea to Dili. Donations can be
provided through CBUG's Westpac account.

A/C Name - Cairns Bicycle User Group
BSB - 034664
A/C No. - 119368
Reference - 'Tour de Timor'

I have donated the first $100. We are thinking we need at least $2,000 -
so anything you can donate will be of great assistance. Any money that
goes over the amount needed will be used to support other Timorese
riders.

Please help this worthy cause! Anche is a fantastic woman, and we have
quickly become friends. She is an inspiration to her country - and Timor
needs all the inspiration and role models it can get. Below are some
websites - one talks about Anche and the others about the bike ride
Cheers
Nicky Hungerford
Dili, East Timor
Ph: +670 7423368