Crazy Unicycle Modification Ideas

Old June 23rd 04, 11:14 PM
al.dyne

Default Crazy Unicycle Modification Ideas

Hey everybody,

I just had a really crazy idea for modding a unicycle, and I searched
and couldn't find any thread relating to this idea, so I thought I would
start one.

My idea was:

Somehow (i have yet to figure it out) you could hook up your cranks so
that if you pulled a lever, it would disengage the pedals from the wheel
and you would glide. Therefore, you could (once you had the skill)
pedal backwards, whilst moving forwards!!!

What do people think?

Does anyone else have ideas for this thread to continue?

Al.

--
al.dyne - Self Awarded Level 1 Unicyclist
al.dyne's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/6290

Old June 23rd 04, 11:33 PM
daino149

This is an idea I've had for a while. Mainly, I think it would be best
used for long smooth descents. Some sort of clutch system would have to
be created to allow the wheel to be fully engaged with the cranks for
normal riding, and be manually disengaged for coasting. To make it
easier to ride, there would have to be the ability to vary the friction
between the cranks and hub.

One idea someone posted was to use a disc brake. Try running a search
for it. The idea sounded all right, but there was some problem with
it.

Daniel

--
daino149 - How's it going, Texas?

Check out my pics: www.unicyclist.com/gallery/daino Updated: 04.06.14
Giraffe
Bugman - "if you are a little left of them, it would seem like they are
on the right"
Sig count: 2

04.05.23 11214
04.05.25 11284
04.05.26 11329

Old June 24th 04, 12:09 AM
gasmaster

i think i've heard of something like that, but i can't remember
where....

--
gasmaster - level 3 unicyclist

Real men only need 1 wheel.
gasmaster's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/6713

Old June 24th 04, 12:11 AM
Murde Mental

you mean a freewheelin' hub? Yeah, that would be really neat.

--
Murde Mental - Unicycling Martyr

"Cyclists of the world unite!
You have nothing to lose but your other wheel!"

~Owen Kirby

Murde Mental's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/4463

Old June 24th 04, 12:31 AM
Sofa

certain death

Picture re-engaging that clutch on the fly, when you have come to the
end of comfortable gliding speed

--
Sofa - you - pee - dee

[image: http://www.brianmackenzie.com/sigmov.gif]

'Unicycle Product Reviews' (http://tinyurl.com/368h6) *107* reviews on
*72* products

'London Unicycling Club Website ' (http://www.brianmackenzie.com/LUC/)
version 3.02

Sofa's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/706

Old June 24th 04, 12:31 AM
al.dyne

yeah, a freewheeling hub, i mean, I don't know if it would excite many
people other than unicyclist though. They would probably say:

"Hey, I can allready do that on my b**e, why would I want to do it on a
uni." Silly people.

the re-engagement I don't think would be that bad. I guess the pedals
would just start moving. obviously, you would not have your feet on
them at the time of re-engagement.

Old June 24th 04, 12:38 AM
Sofa

al.dyne wrote:
* obviously, you would not have your feet on them at the time of
re-engagement.

*

Well sure, if you feel like cheatin'

Old June 24th 04, 03:57 AM
digitalattrition

I was thinking of doing a peg type system. Like put extentions out from
the hub to behind the wheel and then to strengthen it, connect it to the
seat post to make a triangle. Then find a way to put pegs on the 2 back
points. I dont know what the purpose would be though.

--
digitalattrition - Addicted to Crank (mounts)

"can you do a wheelie on that?!"
--Some kid I saw when I was riding
digitalattrition's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/6430

Old June 24th 04, 04:32 AM
munimanpete

WOW! I have thought about this idea almost since the day I could
unicycle.
It would be cool, the ultimate downhill uni.

I have another thought though - to create a unicycle just used only for
downhill. Instead of having cranks attached to the axle attach pegs,
like those on a BMX bike, i dont think that would be too hard either.
You wouldnt be able to ride anywere with no slope but it would be like a
'La Twike' (i have no idea how to spell it, it is a bike my friends
brother made, with no seat and pegs you stand on on the back wheel, we
used to take it downhilling, it was crazy)

--
munimanpete - smelly ham

WWW.MUNIMAN.2YA.COM

*www.unicycle.2ya.com*
munimanpete's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/6311

Old June 24th 04, 04:57 AM
al.dyne

munimanpete wrote:
*Instead of having cranks attached to the axle attach pegs, like those
on a BMX bike *

Wouldn't that just be an impossible wheel with a seat?? That would be
cool to see though!

And of course the height of danger don't you think. I mean, with the
freewheeling, at lease you could engage the pedals again to slow down.
But I guess with a brake on, and just the pegs, it might be ok. Scary
thought though.

Al.