chain replacement

Old August 9th 04, 09:25 PM
William Higley, Sr.

Default chain replacement

"Cletus D. Lee" wrote in message
T...
In article UosRc.228651$IQ4.109882@attbi_s02,
says...

"Cletus D. Lee" wrote in message
T...
In article 9bhRc.223502$%_6.193912@attbi_s01,
says...

"Cletus D. Lee" wrote in message
T...
In article ,

says...
Can someone please tell me the proper way to check if a chain

needs
replacement. My stratus has over 3300 miles on it. Thanks

Ask me after another 5K have passed.

--
Cletus D. Lee
Bacchetta Giro

Mine has 4400 miles on it and it appears just fine although I'm

curious
how
long will one last if properly taken care of

I got 8500 miles on the original OEM chain on my Stratus. I sold the
bike at 9800. I got about 7000 on my P-38 and replaced the chain
because I got a new cassette.

What was it that caused you to replace the OEM chain? I guess my

question is
what to look for when its time to replace mine

Chain "Stretch" and skipping cassette cogs.
--
Cletus D. Lee
Bacchetta Giro

I am somewhat curious if weight and weather conditions make a difference.

I tip the scales at about 225 lbs. and ride year round. I have been
averageing 4500 miles a year for the past 4 years. Whether I have ridden my
bent or an upright I have not gone more than 3000 miles without having to
change out the chain and/or cassette.

It rains a lot in the Seattle area and I clean my chain quite often. I can
clean my chain, ride the two miles to the office, and my chain looks as if
it was dragged through a sandbox. In order to keep from replacing the rear
cassette, my LBS suggests I change out the chain every 1500 to 1800 miles.

Anybody else have this type of experience?

William Higley, Sr.

Vision R-50
RANS Rocket

Old August 10th 04, 01:45 AM
Tom Sherman

William Higley, Sr. wrote:

"Cletus D. Lee" wrote in message
T...

In article UosRc.228651$IQ4.109882@attbi_s02,
says...

"Cletus D. Lee" wrote in message
.NET...

In article 9bhRc.223502$%_6.193912@attbi_s01,
says...

"Cletus D. Lee" wrote in message
al.NET...

[...]

Get a Rohloff hub, an eccentric BB, and a full chain case, and your
chains will last ten of thousands of miles. Of course, one could buy
many recumbent length chains and cassettes for the cost of these
modifications.

--
Tom Sherman – Quad City Area

Old August 11th 04, 02:46 PM
BentJay

Here's my variation on the question at hand. I'm planning a transam
for Summer 2005. To avoid any potential problems I'm going to replace
the chain(s)in Spring, 2005. Since the chainwheel teeth and cogset
teeth are showing wear do you think it would be advisable to replace
those too? (I'm not having any negative symptoms but I want to avoid
any problems if I'm in the Rocky Mts. miles from nowhere!)

BentJay
GS GTO
Old August 11th 04, 03:08 PM
Cletus Lee

In article , says...

I am somewhat curious if weight and weather conditions make a difference.

I tip the scales at about 225 lbs. and ride year round. I have been
averageing 4500 miles a year for the past 4 years. Whether I have ridden my
bent or an upright I have not gone more than 3000 miles without having to
change out the chain and/or cassette.

It rains a lot in the Seattle area and I clean my chain quite often. I can
clean my chain, ride the two miles to the office, and my chain looks as if
it was dragged through a sandbox. In order to keep from replacing the rear
cassette, my LBS suggests I change out the chain every 1500 to 1800 miles.

Anybody else have this type of experience?

I think road conditions (grime mainly) certainly play a part. If you are diligent at cleaning your
chain after weather rides, it should last nearly as long.

Your recumbent chain is twice as long as your DF chain so in theory it should last twice the
distance of a DF chain.

The measure of when a chain should be replaced is usually determined by the length of 24 links. New
these should measure 12" If they measure 12.5" it is time to replace.

The mileage on a good DF chain is about 3000 miles. A recumbent should go 6000. I have gotten
between 7000 and 9000. I think your LBS is trying to sell more parts.

Another thing you look for are 'shark fin' teeth on the cassette and chain rings. Replacing a chain
when these are worn will not solve the problem.

--

Cletus D. Lee
Bacchetta Giro