Armstrong and Moser criticize Lance

Old November 19th 04, 02:50 PM
Ewoud Dronkert

On Fri, 19 Nov 2004 10:54:04 GMT, Steven L. Sheffield wrote:
I think Eddy is referring to [...]

My speculation, from the "New virtual TdF record" thread:

I'm thinking it's an odd translation of Merckx using an obscure
expression to say that LANCE hardly ever races ("If I cherry-picked my
races like him" etc.). He has races trickle on his schedule like
droplets from a pipette.

I checked with Jeff, but it was Tim's piece and probably from French.

--
Firefox Web Browser - Rediscover the web - http://getffox.com/
Old November 19th 04, 03:27 PM
Curtis L. Russell

On Thu, 18 Nov 2004 23:32:51 -0500, "psycholist"
wrote:

Same here. I don't quite follow, either. Also, I thought Eddy and Lance
were buds. I know they had a brief falling-out when Eddy didn't like Lance
attacking Axel's lead at Amstel or Liege or one of those a couple years
back. But I thought they got beyond that.

I collect fountain pens and you have some you fill with medicine
droppers - a careful process where you are precisely filling or
placing the liquid. IF the quote is accurate, my guess that it is a
reference to someone that selects carefully where they make their
efforts and otherwise skips the event or makes a perfunctory effort
for training purposes.

Curtis L. Russell
Odenton, MD (USA)
Just someone on two wheels...

Old November 19th 04, 03:46 PM
Curtis L. Russell

On Fri, 19 Nov 2004 11:03:44 GMT, "Steven L. Sheffield"
wrote:

Moser's comments, on the other hand, are just spiteful.

I think the comments are fair. He might have prefered Poulidor to
Anquetil as well - bicycle racing didn't need 180 Anquetils on the
start line either. There were a lot of years I would have picked Kelly
as my favorite as all-around cyclist over the Tour favorites.

Curtis L. Russell
Odenton, MD (USA)
Just someone on two wheels...

Old November 19th 04, 04:52 PM
brian roth

"Philip W. Moore, Jr." wrote in message ...
Confession...I'm too slow to get the medicine dropper reference and hope
that isn't a doping accusation. Please tell me how slow I am.

I interpet that as saying Armstrong doses his efforts in 'small' amounts,
i.e. drops out of a medicine dropper. While Eddy threw buckets of effort
around....

Old November 19th 04, 11:32 PM
Tom Kunich

"Philip W. Moore, Jr." wrote in message
Confession...I'm too slow to get the medicine dropper reference and hope
that isn't a doping accusation. Please tell me how slow I am.

He means that Lance is racing in drips and drops whereas in the old days you
raced every race.