rotor systems cranks?

Old October 31st 04, 12:44 AM
William H. O'Hara, III

Default rotor systems cranks?

I just saw this in velonews. It did a look little
incredulous. I have just reviewed their website
and they mention amateurs that have used their product.
Does anyone know if this is true? Any truth to their
science?

thanks
bill
Old October 31st 04, 02:42 AM

William H. O'Hara writes:

I just saw this in VeloNews. It did a look little incredulous. I
have just reviewed their website and they mention amateurs that have
used their product. Does anyone know if this is true? Any truth to
their science?

http://www.rotorcranksusa.com/whatis.htm

It's just another gimmick like BioPace except more expensive. These
are all perpetual motion machines of one kind or another that
essentially claim to produce more power than is input by the rider.

Jobst Brandt

Old October 31st 04, 06:34 AM
Robert Chung

William H. O'Hara, III wrote:
Any truth to their science?

2002 article, untrained cyclists, short-term test:
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/entrez/q..._uids=12439093

2004 study, same authors, trained cyclists, short-term test:
http://www.thieme-connect.com./ejour...-820941#A130-1

--
A proud member of the reality-based community.

Old October 31st 04, 09:14 AM
BilleniumSoft

Hi,

yes, there are many amateurs using them. Also some professionals have
used them, even on competition (Melchor Mauri, Toni Colom, etc). Mostly
on MTB and thriathlon, as those guys are more open to new ideas.

I've been using them since 2001 and love them, as I feel a more natural
pedalling (much more 'round' than before). My knees don't hurt me
anymore and I can go a little faster a little more time. If your
pedalling technique is not perfect then try them for some time. Of
course, they won't make you win races if you aren't in excellent shape,
but will help.

I can be wrong, though. It's just my opinion.

Regards,
Francisco Sanchez

http://www.billeniumsoft.com
Old October 31st 04, 02:05 PM
Qui si parla Campagnolo

whoo- I just saw this in velonews. It did a look little
incredulous. I have just reviewed their website
and they mention amateurs that have used their product.
Does anyone know if this is true? Any truth to their
science? BRBR

We bought a pair to try and put onto a test ride bike. VERY heavy with really
'sluggish' BB bearings.
Our opinion? If you are a big gear masher, they may help, if you have a smooth
pedaling stroke, probably not worth the price and weight.

Peter Chisholm
Vecchio's Bicicletteria
1833 Pearl St.
Boulder, CO, 80302
(303)440-3535
http://www.vecchios.com
Old October 31st 04, 07:52 PM
meb

Qui si parla Campagnolo Wrote:
whoo- I just saw this in velonews. It did a look little
incredulous. I have just reviewed their website
and they mention amateurs that have used their product.
Does anyone know if this is true? Any truth to their
science? BRBR

We bought a pair to try and put onto a test ride bike. VERY heavy with
really
'sluggish' BB bearings.
Our opinion? If you are a big gear masher, they may help, if you have a
smooth
pedaling stroke, probably not worth the price and weight.

Peter Chisholm
Vecchio's Bicicletteria
1833 Pearl St.
Boulder, CO, 80302
(303)440-3535
http://www.vecchios.com

Peter- do think the "sluggish BB bearings" are an inherent frictional
effect of the cam or do you think it relates to the bearings
themselves?

--
meb

Old November 1st 04, 02:01 PM
Qui si parla Campagnolo

MEB- Peter- do think the "sluggish BB bearings" are an inherent frictional
effect of the cam or do you think it relates to the bearings
themselves? BRBR

Hard to say but the BBs are sealed so well, they seem to not really turn
well..Not 'crunchy', smooth with lots of seal drag.

Peter Chisholm
Vecchio's Bicicletteria
1833 Pearl St.
Boulder, CO, 80302
(303)440-3535
http://www.vecchios.com
Old November 2nd 04, 08:38 AM
MAPaceBike

Remember "Power cam" cranksets that were supposed to set the world on fire back
around 1981? I didn't think it'd be time to trot this out again for another 5
years at least, when more prospective consumers would be more likely to have
forgotten about, or to have never heard of, its many failed predecessors.
Mark Pace