Wilder Muni--dust to dust

Old March 6th 06, 09:41 PM posted to rec.sport.unicycling

Default Wilder Muni--dust to dust

My beloved Wilder 24 Muni frame broke totally in half this
weekend--ripped the seat post tube right off the frame. We were on
Tunnel Trail, in Santa Barbara and I was dead tired and riding poorly
but it would have blown out eventually. Hate to see the old workhorse
go, though it's hardly a mystery for all the abuse I've put it through
over the last year. I have an '06 KH frame to immediately to to, but
that Wilder was a good friend for many rides. Josh has a picture of
the damage and maybe he'll post it.

RIP, Wilder. We'll never see those frames again, and I think I had the
last one ever made.

JL

--
vivalargo
vivalargo's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/5625

Old March 6th 06, 10:17 PM posted to rec.sport.unicycling

Actually, Eyal has the photo.

It was unfortunate - over a bump and *plink*, the Toucan snapped...or
maybe 'ripped' is a better term. Either way, definately beyond
repair.

--
entropy
entropy's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/5816

Old March 6th 06, 10:23 PM posted to rec.sport.unicycling

that sucks

--
manon1wheel

pure trials
manon1wheel's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/9972

Old March 6th 06, 11:11 PM posted to rec.sport.unicycling

Sorry to hear that John. But the KH is also aluminum, right? So you
shouldn't be giving up much weight, hopefully. It's probably a good
thing that I wasn't able to join you all, since it sounds like that
particular trail was on the super advanced side!

--
terrybigwheel

Impotence: Nature's Way Of Saying "No Hard Feelings".

Uni is just a cycle I'm going through.

You -can- "Tune a fish". You simply adjust their "scales"!
terrybigwheel's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/11418

Old March 6th 06, 11:24 PM posted to rec.sport.unicycling

entropy wrote:
Either way, definately beyond repair.

Did you get this diagnosis from a reputable welder or is this just a
"layman's estimate" of the damage? A classic frame such as this
shouldn't be laid to rest unless it's absolutely hopeless...

--
maestro8

Groucho Marx

Old March 6th 06, 11:34 PM posted to rec.sport.unicycling

I will take the remainders of the frame if you dont want them.
I can try to weld them

ps sorry bout your frame man

--
unicyclistben

http://willowglenbicycles.com/site/intro.cfm
Proud owner of posts 37000 and 38000 in MR
UNBAN BEN_UNRUH
myspace.com/ben_unruh
unicyclistben's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/10897

Old March 6th 06, 11:42 PM posted to rec.sport.unicycling

dang... ben beat me to it.
I need welding practice. but i'm pretty decent at in now though...

--
abbabibble

Cheers, Matt.
'NEW, \"Ninjas. Unicycles. Yeah.\" Shirts are out! BUY NOW AT
ZAZZLE.com!' (http://tinyurl.com/954wy)
*"Water. Duck's back. Yeah."* -- GILD
Habbywall, that-a-way --------------''
(http://www.nickjantz.2ya.com) Kristine is that-a-way, too.
-----------X
*"LX seats are as comfortable as bricks."* lildude2 *PANIC
BUTTON--' ' (http://www.geocities.com/abbabibble/mrtsb.html)*
abbabibble's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/10751

Old March 6th 06, 11:55 PM posted to rec.sport.unicycling

thats is the fate of aluminum, tough loss.... i fear a few of the of KH
frames will have a similar fate over the next couple years...most will
last a long time.

the new KH's with the knurled crown have me paticularly worried since
AL is so fatigued by stress rizers....

btw,that did happen to another Wilder frame awile ago.

R.I.P

--
forget_your_life

dream one dream many....
*'R.I.P' (http://tinyurl.com/vr86)*
forget_your_life's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/4558

Old March 6th 06, 11:56 PM posted to rec.sport.unicycling

u have a pic of ur dead one???

--
irvinegr

Check out my SWEET movies!!! http://tinyurl.com/cr7fu
irvinegr's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/10958

Old March 6th 06, 11:57 PM posted to rec.sport.unicycling

maestro8 wrote:
Did you get this diagnosis from a reputable welder or is this just a
"layman's estimate" of the damage? A classic frame such as this
shouldn't be laid to rest unless it's absolutely hopeless...

Layman's estimate. It probably can be "fixed" to a certain point.

The only other Wilder frame that was used regularly on SB trails
(different rider) failed in the same place - seatpost tube at the fork.
It was re-welded several times by the manufacturer but continued to
fail in the same spot. The manufacturer finally refused to repair it.
It was sent to another welder, but the new repair has yet to be tested
on the trails. People just get sick of having to walk back to the car
from the halfway point.