Cycling and Bi-focals

Old June 27th 04, 01:05 PM
Nartker

Default Cycling and Bi-focals

Has anyone else experienced the dis-orientation experienced while riding with
bi-focal lenses? Any solutions?

Nartker @ AOL.com

Nartker

Old June 27th 04, 03:55 PM
S o r n i

Nartker wrote:
Has anyone else experienced the dis-orientation experienced while
riding with bi-focal lenses? Any solutions?

Don't ride with bi-focals.

Bill "wish they were all that easy" S.

Old June 27th 04, 04:02 PM
Tom Keats

In article ,
"S o r n i" writes:
Nartker wrote:
Has anyone else experienced the dis-orientation experienced while
riding with bi-focal lenses? Any solutions?

Don't ride with bi-focals.

Bill "wish they were all that easy" S.

So, which is the better for riding: single-lens glasses,
or contact lenses?

cheers,
Tom

--
-- Powered by FreeBSD
Above address is just a spam midden.
Old June 27th 04, 05:00 PM
Fred Hall

I ride with bifocals now (until my single vision Rx sunglasses arrive) and
don't have any problems. When/doing what do you sense the disorientation?
I do mostly solitary road riding, so I'm not sure if that applies to you or
not.

Old June 27th 04, 08:03 PM
rfctx

Nartker wrote:
Has anyone else experienced the dis-orientation experienced while riding
with bi-focal lenses? Any solutions?
Nartker @ AOL.com
Nartker

I’m not sure what I can do about it!! Old age ya know.

I have shades (Bolle Vigilantes) with single vision inserts, as I am
nearsighted as well. Doing this I can benefit from the wrap around type
glasses and simply take them off for close up work. While riding I do
not get that disorientation that comes with the bi-focal (every thing
out of focus) lens. Just can’t read the computer while riding.

Old June 27th 04, 08:56 PM
David Crist

Does anyone know of a magnifying film that could be applied to the
bike computer's display so that one could ride without the bifocals?

Old June 27th 04, 10:01 PM
wannagofast

I ride with contacts, set up for monovision, that is one eye is set for
distance and the other for reading; took a couple of weeks to get use to
them and in riding in the dusk, loose some depth perception, which can be
managed. My reading correction is +1.75 from my distance. That is -2.25
instead of -4.0. Seems to work fine for racing now.

Old June 27th 04, 10:09 PM
Joe Faust

On Sun, 27 Jun 2004 19:56:35 GMT, David Crist
wrote:

Does anyone know of a magnifying film that could be applied to the
bike computer's display so that one could ride without the bifocals?

On 27 Jun 2004 12:05:32 GMT, ojunk (Nartker) wrote:

Has anyone else experienced the dis-orientation experienced while riding with
bi-focal lenses? Any solutions?

Nartker @ AOL.com

Nartker

You might be interested:

"Optx 20/20 Soft Reading Lenses adhere with water, yet are removable
and reusable to provide optically correct magnification to sunglasses
and prescription eyewear."

http://www.optx2020.com/

Old June 27th 04, 10:15 PM
The Real Bev

Nartker wrote:

Has anyone else experienced the dis-orientation experienced while riding with
bi-focal lenses? Any solutions?

I've skied and ridden dirt and street bicycles and motorcycles for over
a decade with bifocals and haven't a clue what you're talking about.
Sometimes there's a certain amount of confusion right at the line
between the segment and the rest of the lens (which caused me to fall
down the last of a flight of stairs, which convinced me that perhaps
contacts would be worth trying), is that what you mean?

With contacts I worry about dirt/crud being blown into my eyes,
otherwise they're a lot better for peripheral vision.

--
Cheers,
Bev