Toasted Maverick Link

Old February 24th 06, 12:36 AM posted to alt.mountain-bike

Default Toasted Maverick Link

Seven Duo, Maverick sus.

About twenty minutes into my last ride on this thing, it started creaking and
squeaking.

Stopped, dropped a little ProLink into the usual suspects, but no luck.

Got home about 3 hours later, turned it upside-down and noted that the bearing
cartridge's drive side was looking a little loose.

Went to tighten it by hand and it turned freely.

Took it apart and found the threads just stripped off. Not cross-threaded, just
sheared off.

Anybody have any experience replacing one of these things? Called Seven twice
today but couldn't get anybody in tech support to call me back.

I'm thinking (hoping...) that maybe the link that Seven uses is identical to the
one the Maverick uses - so maybe that would be another, possibly cheaper,
source.... and maybe even made of something a little more robust that whatever
metal the current one is.

Never been able to get definitive advice on how to secure either the BB
cartridge or those cheesy bearing bolts on this thing. Dealer says one thing,
one guy at Seven says another, another guy at Seven says yet another.

Right now, I'm thinking LocTite Red for the cartridge side of the BB, since
having it work loose seems tb a catastrophic event.... OTOH, maybe it didn't
work loose - maybe I just tore it loose and the Red would make it impossible do
disassemble without tearing the threads.

Also, this has been a little bit of a wake up call vis-a-vis materials. Back
when installed the Shimano BB my reaction to the plastic on the cup side was
negative - righteous indignation at the use of plastic and so-forth and
so-on.... Now I'm wishing the cartridge side was plastic too (instead of steel)
because then just the cartridge would have stripped and not the Maverick link.
--
PeteCresswell
Old February 24th 06, 12:36 PM posted to alt.mountain-bike

On Thu, 23 Feb 2006 19:36:09 -0500, "(PeteCresswell)"
wrote:

Seven Duo, Maverick sus.

$$$Cha CHING!$$$$

About twenty minutes into my last ride on this thing, it started creaking and
squeaking.

brutal

Stopped, dropped a little ProLink into the usual suspects, but no luck.

nice

Took it apart and found the threads just stripped off. Not cross-threaded, just
sheared off.

$$$Cha CHING!$$$$

Anybody have any experience replacing one of these things? Called Seven twice
today but couldn't get anybody in tech support to call me back.

perhaps all their blackberries went dead while out driving their BMW
750's

I'm thinking (hoping...) that maybe the link that Seven uses is identical to the
one the Maverick uses - so maybe that would be another, possibly cheaper,
source.... and maybe even made of something a little more robust that whatever
metal the current one is.

cheaper and Seven these two words should never appear on the same
page.

good luck and keep riding,

bill

The First law, Inertia: Unless acted upon by an outside force,
a body at rest tends to stay at rest,
and a body in motion tends to stay in motion.
Sir Isaac Newton
Old February 24th 06, 03:06 PM posted to alt.mountain-bike

Bill Wheeler wrote:
On Thu, 23 Feb 2006 19:36:09 -0500, "(PeteCresswell)"
wrote:

Seven Duo, Maverick sus.

$$$Cha CHING!$$$$

[...]

Yeah -- I was trying to figure out who was presumed to be a cheaper
source. When you're stuck between Seven and Maverick, I wouldn't expect
to get away with anything cheap in the Home Depot sense....
Good luck!

Scott

Old February 24th 06, 03:12 PM posted to alt.mountain-bike

Per Scott Gordo:
Yeah -- I was trying to figure out who was presumed to be a cheaper
source. When you're stuck between Seven and Maverick, I wouldn't expect
to get away with anything cheap in the Home Depot sense....
Good luck!

One thing I wasn't sure of was whether or not the two maker's links are
interchangeable. Bearing cartridge size and all that...

If they were interchangeable, another thing I'd hope for would be more
robust (albeit heavier) construction in the Maverick version.

Mine is made out of magnesium. Light, for sure, but probably not as tough as
Alu..... and the bolts are *really* fragile.

Any idea on interchangeability?
--
PeteCresswell
Old February 25th 06, 02:17 PM posted to alt.mountain-bike

Per Bill Wheeler:
$$$Cha CHING!$$$$

Believe-It-Or-Not: Maverick is sending me a replacement on warranty. Something
about "a bad batch sometime before I (the guy at the other end) started working
here...". Purchased outright, would have been $200.

Interesting thing, though: Maverick has re-engineered their monolink and, among
other things, switched to Alu as the material. Would have gone for the Alu but
they've moved the position of the BB shell about an inch forward and I like the
geometry of my bike as it is too much to take a chance on messing it up.
--
PeteCresswell
Old February 25th 06, 08:04 PM posted to alt.mountain-bike

(PeteCresswell) wrote:
Per Bill Wheeler:
$$$Cha CHING!$$$$

Believe-It-Or-Not: Maverick is sending me a replacement on warranty. Something
about "a bad batch sometime before I (the guy at the other end) started working
here...". Purchased outright, would have been $200.

Interesting thing, though: Maverick has re-engineered their monolink and, among
other things, switched to Alu as the material. Would have gone for the Alu but
they've moved the position of the BB shell about an inch forward and I like the
geometry of my bike as it is too much to take a chance on messing it up.
--
PeteCresswell

So, if I understand correctly, they replaced a magnesium bolt with
aluminum right? Isn't "magnesium" really like 90 something % aluminum
with a bit of mag in there? Other than corrosion issues (which I never
experienced with my old Mag21s), is there a considerable strength
difference?
Anyway, glad it's working out.

Scott