Farewell to an old friend

Old April 4th 08, 03:57 AM posted to aus.bicycle
Brian Watson[_2_]

Default Farewell to an old friend

I'm a bit of a retro-grouch and as a result have been wearing the same
helmet since May '99 :-) I'm aware of all the arguments against
keeping them and starting that debate is not the purpose of this post.

I just thought that the way it failed was pretty dramatic and you
might be interested to see the photo :-)

http://s97.photobucket.com/albums/l2...t=DSCF0412.jpg

I went over a very small jump that I am familiar with, but today I was
feeling good and hit it much faster than normal. I messed up the
launch and landed into a tree. My head hit hard and I was dazed for a
bit but there does not seem to be any real damage. I think the helmet
performed very well!

I almost bought a new one on Monday - so glad I didn't :-)

Brian
Old April 4th 08, 04:32 AM posted to aus.bicycle
DeF

Brian Watson wrote:
I'm a bit of a retro-grouch and as a result have been wearing the same
helmet since May '99 :-) I'm aware of all the arguments against
keeping them and starting that debate is not the purpose of this post.

I just thought that the way it failed was pretty dramatic and you
might be interested to see the photo :-)

http://s97.photobucket.com/albums/l2...t=DSCF0412.jpg

I went over a very small jump that I am familiar with, but today I was
feeling good and hit it much faster than normal. I messed up the
launch and landed into a tree. My head hit hard and I was dazed for a
bit but there does not seem to be any real damage. I think the helmet
performed very well!

I almost bought a new one on Monday - so glad I didn't :-)

Brian

Nice work. Have you seen the article in the Australian newspaper
today about compulsory helmets and helmet wearing in general? I
don't want to start a debate about helmet law (sh*t, I think I
might have already). It looks to me that in this case the helmet
saved you from a potentially nasty head injury. The life of one
of my helmets ended saving my head although the damage was less
dramatic. I only realised the helmet was broken by inspecting it
closely sometime after the off.

DeF

--
e-mail: d.farrow@your finger.murdoch.edu.au
To reply, you'll have to remove your finger.
Old April 4th 08, 05:32 AM posted to aus.bicycle
Duncan

On Apr 4, 1:32 pm, DeF ""d.farrow\"@your finger.murdoch.edu.au"
The life of one
of my helmets ended saving my head although the damage was less
dramatic. I only realised the helmet was broken by inspecting it
closely sometime after the off.

Ditto here.

I had a front washout on an off-camber corner in the wet.. smacked
down on my left shoulder and head. Helmet saved the side of my head
from a very nasty whack into the asphalt.

duncan
Old April 4th 08, 06:23 AM posted to aus.bicycle
Bean Long

wrote:

Let the flame war commence :-)

ooooh! You''re askin' for it! Hehe :-)
Old April 4th 08, 06:38 AM posted to aus.bicycle
TimC

On 2008-04-04, Brian Watson (aka Bruce)
I'm a bit of a retro-grouch and as a result have been wearing the same
helmet since May '99 :-) I'm aware of all the arguments against
keeping them and starting that debate is not the purpose of this post.

I just thought that the way it failed was pretty dramatic and you
might be interested to see the photo :-)

http://s97.photobucket.com/albums/l2...t=DSCF0412.jpg

'sok! You can glue it back together! Good as new!

--
TimC
When the revolution comes, we'll need a longer wall. -- Tom De Mulder
Old April 4th 08, 07:56 AM posted to aus.bicycle
Brian Watson[_2_]

On Apr 4, 2:32 pm, DeF ""d.farrow\"@your finger.murdoch.edu.au"
wrote:

..snip.. Have you seen the article in the Australian newspaper
today about compulsory helmets and helmet wearing in general?

Do you mean this one?

http://www.theaustralian.news.com.au...-30417,00.html

I hadn't, but have now. I know one case does not affect the science,
but I'm glad I was wearing mine today.

Brian

Old April 4th 08, 08:45 AM posted to aus.bicycle
DeF

wrote:

..snip.. Have you seen the article in the Australian newspaper
today about compulsory helmets and helmet wearing in general?

Do you mean this one?

http://www.theaustralian.news.com.au...-30417,00.html

I hadn't, but have now. I know one case does not affect the science,
but I'm glad I was wearing mine today.

Brian

Yep, that's the one. This is a hoary old chestnut that comes out
every now and again. Both sides to the argument point to the same
data and say it supports their position. Having not seen the data
I wouldn't like to comment.

Old April 4th 08, 10:27 AM posted to aus.bicycle
Alan Erskine[_2_]

"Brian Watson" wrote in message
I'm a bit of a retro-grouch and as a result have been wearing the same
helmet since May '99 :-) I'm aware of all the arguments against
keeping them and starting that debate is not the purpose of this post.

I just thought that the way it failed was pretty dramatic and you
might be interested to see the photo :-)

http://s97.photobucket.com/albums/l2...t=DSCF0412.jpg

Brian; that's the best argument for wearing a helmet I've ever seen -
imagine how you'd look if you hadn't been wearing it - you'd look like the
helmet!