Dogs.

Old August 19th 07, 08:01 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Hake

Default Dogs.

Hello,

For the second time on the tandem this month, we have been chased by a
terrifyingly large dog (this one escaped the grasp of a 5 yr old). This one
bit on to our pannniers, circled in front of our front wheel and chased us
from 5mph up to 20mph along narrow road. Not only did it look hungrily at my
partners knee, it also looked at my calf, for which it recieved a shove from
my foot. ( dont worry dog lovers, I don't think it noticed :-(

Our only defence was to yell at the thing and try to run away - which
worked on this occasion, but if it had mistaken my leg for the pannier, I
might not have been writing this now! Does anyone have any experiance with
dog deflecting gizmos that I have seen advertised in the CTC? or any other
ideas?

Thanks

Colin

Old August 19th 07, 08:03 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Environmental Answers

"Hake" wrote in message
Hello,

For the second time on the tandem this month, we have been chased by a
terrifyingly large dog (this one escaped the grasp of a 5 yr old). This
one bit on to our pannniers, circled in front of our front wheel and
chased us from 5mph up to 20mph along narrow road. Not only did it look
hungrily at my partners knee, it also looked at my calf, for which it
recieved a shove from my foot. ( dont worry dog lovers, I don't think it
noticed :-(

Our only defence was to yell at the thing and try to run away - which
worked on this occasion, but if it had mistaken my leg for the pannier, I
might not have been writing this now! Does anyone have any experiance with
dog deflecting gizmos that I have seen advertised in the CTC? or any other
ideas?

That sounds quite frightening - another of the drawbacks of cycling?

I find that I don't get pestered by dogs very much these days - probably
something to do with me patronising a better class of wine bar.

Old August 19th 07, 08:53 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Eatmorepies[_2_]

"Hake" wrote in message
Hello,

For the second time on the tandem this month, we have been chased by a
terrifyingly large dog (this one escaped the grasp of a 5 yr old). This
one bit on to our pannniers, circled in front of our front wheel and
chased us from 5mph up to 20mph along narrow road. Not only did it look
hungrily at my partners knee, it also looked at my calf, for which it
recieved a shove from my foot. ( dont worry dog lovers, I don't think it
noticed :-(

Our only defence was to yell at the thing and try to run away - which
worked on this occasion, but if it had mistaken my leg for the pannier, I
might not have been writing this now! Does anyone have any experiance with
dog deflecting gizmos that I have seen advertised in the CTC? or any other
ideas?

Here (in Mid-Wales) the farm dogs often like to chase, usually only with
barking and running along. I find shouting GET ON DOG very loudly sends them
scurrying off. That's what farmers shout at them when they are harrying the
sheep to closely. The farmers also sprinkle their shouts with assorted swear
words as well. This shout also worked in Virginia USA - and I wasn't in
sheep country at the time. You might try stopping and getting off, then the
thing will know you are a human and may calm down - you can then take
opportunity to talk to/abuse the owners.

John

Old August 19th 07, 09:12 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Paul Boyd[_2_]

On 19/08/2007 20:53, Eatmorepies said,

Here (in Mid-Wales) the farm dogs often like to chase, usually only with
barking and running along.

Farm dogs in North Wales seem to just go for full-on attack. I still
have teeth marks in the back bumper of my car from being chased and
attacked by one. Thank god I wasn't walking or cycling on that road.

--
Paul Boyd
http://www.paul-boyd.co.uk/
Old August 19th 07, 09:18 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Hake

Here (in Mid-Wales) the farm dogs often like to chase, usually only with
barking and running along. I find shouting GET ON DOG very loudly sends
them scurrying off. That's what farmers shout at them when they are
harrying the sheep to closely. The farmers also sprinkle their shouts with
assorted swear words as well. This shout also worked in Virginia USA - and
I wasn't in sheep country at the time. You might try stopping and getting
off, then the thing will know you are a human and may calm down - you can
then take opportunity to talk to/abuse the owners.

John

I did fair bit of rural shouting :-/, but im not sure it was a rural dog.
Getting off may have calmed it down, but it was one of the very bulky dogs,
im sure it weighed more than me (10 stone, rake!) and if it hadn't calmed
down, I would have been out of options.

I have done a fair bit of cycling on cycleways and generally I give dogs &
owners a wide birth, and up till now have never had real problems - maybe
just a spate of bad luck.

cheers

Colin

Old August 19th 07, 09:23 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
David Hansen

On Sun, 19 Aug 2007 21:12:38 +0100 someone who may be Paul Boyd
wrote this:-

Farm dogs in North Wales seem to just go for full-on attack. I still
have teeth marks in the back bumper of my car from being chased and
attacked by one. Thank god I wasn't walking or cycling on that road.

A dog that bites the rear wheel of a bike will rapidly find it has
less teeth, when its snout makes contact with the frame of the bike.

--
David Hansen, Edinburgh
Old August 19th 07, 09:54 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Tom Crispin

wrote this:-

Farm dogs in North Wales seem to just go for full-on attack. I still
have teeth marks in the back bumper of my car from being chased and
attacked by one. Thank god I wasn't walking or cycling on that road.

A dog that bites the rear wheel of a bike will rapidly find it has
less teeth, when its snout makes contact with the frame of the bike.

Squirrels can be a pest too.
www.flickr.com/photos/bike/76039319/
http://13gb.com/media/images/bikewins.jpg
Old August 19th 07, 10:32 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Robin

"Hake" wrote in message
[...]

I use an air horn in a water bottle carrier that is tie-wrapped to the
handle bars/stem. works on numpty car drivers, peds and dogs.

Old August 20th 07, 08:11 AM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Garry from Cork

Dogs understand commands in whatever language they're spoken to.

Here in Ireland I yell in my sergeant major's voice "Get in"
repeatedly at them. They almost all stop and scurry off. They
apparently cannot tell who's yelling at them. Read this on the net
years ago. If this doesn't work I get off with the bike between me and
them. I then give chase. They run.

here we go with the dogs again Andre Racing 2 July 18th 06 02:34 PM
dogs Bill Taylor Rides 8 June 15th 06 04:38 PM
What to do dogs?? [email protected] General 83 April 25th 06 05:11 PM
Why No Dogs? C.M. Burns Racing 26 July 26th 05 01:12 AM
Dogs GABIKE General 56 October 3rd 03 05:59 AM