Winter Riding

Old January 5th 04, 07:17 PM
Saint

Default Winter Riding

OK here goes - I confess I am a lazy cyclist. I love my bike, I love
riding.

Except in the winter. I hate it.

I live in a town so all busy roads and I have not yet managed to get on my
bike once since September of last year when the nights began to draw in and
the thought of the cold overrode any semblance of enthuisiasm I had.

Trouble is, in October I was diagnosed with an illness which I will have for
life and have to regulate solely through my diet. My Consultant has told me
I need to lose a stone in weight and the thought of a boring gym is
abhorrent.

So, you people who ride all year long - I am after help as to the sort of
gear I will need to negate the effects of the cold, as I can only ride at
night during the week. My bike (Trek 1200) is kitted out with decent lights
so no worries there - it's more the clothing side of stuff I am after.
Added to pots of motivation of course.....

Thanks in advance.

Saint

Old January 5th 04, 07:51 PM
\(T'other\) Dave

"Saint" wrote in message
[...]

Sorry to hear about the misfortune, Saint :-(
On the other hand, good news about the cycling ;-)
I believe it is very much like the perceived danger of the roads (read
careless mdg drivers), putting the masses off cycling. Winter riding is
pretty much the same as summer riding, except without the shorts ;-)
Personally I go for several light layers, lots of
fluorodayglosurelyyoucanseemenowyablindb'stard!!, nice warm neoprene gloves
and I've just bought a 'hedy', which is a polyester stretchy tube thingy
that goes over your head and can be used in various ways from scarf to
bandana. I haven't used it yet cycling and didn't really need it, but just
had to have it 'cos it's so useful ;-)
Just try it and see how you go. reckon you'll be enjoying it in no time at
all...just remember to watch out for the ice :-(
All the best,
Dave.

Old January 5th 04, 07:52 PM
MSeries

There was a thread on here on 31/12/03 entitled Winter Wear that detailed
what some of us wear whilst cycling in the winter. Use Google Groups to
search for it.

On top you need a wicking base layer, I use Helly Hansen Long Sleeve thermal
top. The I use a sleeveless T shirt, then a long sleeve cycling jersey with
a fleecy lining then a lightweight wateproof(for windproofing). On top of
that a refective waistcoat. On my head either a helmet perhaps with a themal
balaclava or some sort of fleece/woolen hat/ I wear normal cycling shorts
under long tights, sometimes winter weight(Roubaix).Ordinary (thin) calf
length socks, normal cycling shoes covered with neoprene overshoes. I also
wear thinsulate gloves and clear plastic glasses.

Old January 5th 04, 08:11 PM
Helen Deborah Vecht

"Saint" typed

OK here goes - I confess I am a lazy cyclist. I love my bike, I love
riding.

Except in the winter. I hate it.

I live in a town so all busy roads and I have not yet managed to get on my
bike once since September of last year when the nights began to draw in and
the thought of the cold overrode any semblance of enthuisiasm I had.

You may not need to wear a huge amount as you will probably warm up
after a few minutes' cycling. People vary in their need for warm
clothing, so no specific advice will suit all.

It is often useful to dress in layers.

Keep your head (especially your ears) warm. If you wear a h*lm*t, get a
thin hat or scarf you can wear under it.

Your neck needs careful management. Scarves are useful, but you should
make sure you can't lose or get tangled in it. You might consider a neck
warmer.

Keep your hands & feet warm & dry with suitable gloves & shoes.

Wind proof clothes will reduce heat loss.

Try to wear some sort of base layer over your whole body.

--
Helen D. Vecht:
Edgware.
Old January 5th 04, 08:18 PM
Phil Bixby

it's more the clothing side of stuff I am after.

I find it's not a problem keeping my body warm in winter, subject to a few
layers. Personal recipe is b*bshorts (forgive me Helen) with Endura
Thermastat tights over them; a base layer, jersey over it (mainly for
back-pocket-storage-space) and then either a windproof (Parrot) shell or a
fleece top or both, depending on exactly how cold or how breezy. With that
lot, and a brisk ride, I'm toasty. Hands and feet are more difficult; hands
get summer mitts (for gel padding and protection in case of a fall) with
cheapo fleecy gloves over them. Feet get overshoes over my normal summer
shoes. Hat gets one of those Briko underhats with fleecy ear-covers (makes
you - okay, me - look a complete wally but is worth its weight in gold) and
get some sunspecs where you can swap lenses for clear - keep the cold wind
out of your eyes.

Get out there and enjoy!

Phil B
York, UK

Old January 5th 04, 08:35 PM
Martin Family

On 5/1/04 7:52 pm, in article ,
"MSeries" wrote:

On top you need a wicking base layer, I use Helly Hansen Long Sleeve thermal
top. The I use a sleeveless T shirt, then a long sleeve cycling jersey with
a fleecy lining then a lightweight wateproof(for windproofing). On top of
that a refective waistcoat. On my head either a helmet perhaps with a themal
balaclava or some sort of fleece/woolen hat/ I wear normal cycling shorts
under long tights, sometimes winter weight(Roubaix).Ordinary (thin) calf
length socks, normal cycling shoes covered with neoprene overshoes. I also
wear thinsulate gloves and clear plastic glasses.

I ride a lot at night as well. (Good for the weight loss to get a bit of a
ride in last thing before hitting the sack). Good lights (seriously good,
the sort that make drivers flash you) are a good thing.

I'd second all that above. I wear ron hill tracksters to keep the legs warm
and have just got a nice fluo yellow Altura Nevis jacket for
windproof/reflective which is a really good bit of kit.

As long as you can keep the wind off the front and the hands/feet/head warm
then everything should be pretty OK. You'll rapidly work out what is good or
bad to wear for the given conditions. Everyone is slightly different. I ride
very warm so tend to wear less than most.

My local night ride is to go round and up the local hill. On a good night
I'll do that several times, on a bad night just once.

...d

Old January 5th 04, 08:54 PM
Just zis Guy, you know?

On Mon, 5 Jan 2004 19:17:40 +0000 (UTC), "Saint"
wrote:

Added to pots of motivation of course.....

Winter riding is less pleasant than summer riding, but you get the
occasional fantastic clear morning which makes you feel glad to be
alive, and the cold really isn't that bad if you dress for it. NOt
that it gets that cold in Reading, I rarely need to wear my SPD boots
and usually make do with road shoes with thick Coolmax socks, a couple
of layers (SubZero brand skiiing bas layers are good) and a windproof
jacket. Once you get going, you soon warm up :-)

On the plus side you get to laugh at the cagers playing Critical Mass,
and you feel real kinship with the few other hardy souls you'll meet
on your daily rides.

Enjoy!

Guy
===
http://chapmancentral.demon.co.uk
Old January 6th 04, 12:43 AM
Tony W

"Saint" wrote in message
OK here goes - I confess I am a lazy cyclist. I love my bike, I love
riding.

Except in the winter. I hate it.

My thoughts are :-

1. Be safe. Good lights, brakes and reflectors aid confidence. Riding
at night/in the dark is magical -- but you need to be able to see where you
are going and to be seen.

2. Be warm. Fingers & toes are particularly vulnerable. Good gloves &
overshoes are vital.

3. Stay cool. Overheating is a pain. Layers & zips allow for basic heat
regulation -- a bar or rack bag allows a greater range of options.
Personally, I cycle in shorts unless it is really cold -- but I'm weird!!
Most prefer roubaix tights. If, like me, you are folicly challenged then a
decent hat of buff is good. Something to keep the ears warm is good.

4. Stay dry. Cycling in the rain CAN also be magical -- though it can
also be a PIA :~( Something to keep the rain out while remaining breathable
is good.

5. Stay off the ice. If its icy go for a walk instead. Lethal stuff.
Avoid.

6. Have fun.

Old January 6th 04, 08:36 AM
dirtylitterboxofferingstospammers

1. Be safe. Good lights, brakes and reflectors aid confidence. Riding
at night/in the dark is magical -- but you need to be able to see where you
are going and to be seen.

The above is absolutely essential. One key - remember to take spare batteries
with you if you are using battery powered lights and not a dynamo system. I
like the Christmas tree principle - I have two British Standard lights at front
with one flashing LED. I have a static white single LED mounted on my helmet
too. At the back of my bike I have two bright red lights - one standard BS one
and one that is a mass of bright red LEDs (static beam) and I can have flashing
red LEDs too. I also have reflectives on bike & on self from head to toe, back,
front & side)

Good source of el cheapo but effective fluorescent/reflective gear is
http://www.shopcreator.com/mall/Road...opicmenu-1.stm

2. Be warm. Fingers & toes are particularly vulnerable. Good gloves &
overshoes are vital.

Another definite - but whereas I *always* nned gloves on, I don't always
require overshoes, as thick warm socks can often suffice for me - but if it is
peeing down, I do wear the overshoes too.

3. Stay cool. Overheating is a pain. Layers & zips allow for basic heat
regulation -- a bar or rack bag allows a greater range of options.
Personally, I cycle in shorts unless it is really cold -- but I'm weird!!
Most prefer roubaix tights. If, like me, you are folicly challenged then a
decent hat of buff is good. Something to keep the ears warm is good.

The layering principle is a must. It is true - T is weird ;-)
I use a base layer of a thermal vest thinggie (longsleeved), over which I put a
longsleeved cycling jersey, windproof sleeveless gilet, and I also carry/wear a
waterproof jacket. Layers mean it is easy, if you cool, to add more/do up zips
to keep warm. You can also undo zips/remove layers if you start to get too
warm, without becoming nekkid and frightening the neighbours ;-)

4. Stay dry. Cycling in the rain CAN also be magical -- though it can
also be a PIA :~( Something to keep the rain out while remaining breathable
is good.

Definite agreement. Cycling in the rain does not mean you have to get wet! One
other essential is, I think, a pair of shades. All year round I wear either my
normal specs (photochromatic lenses) or if wearing my contact lenses, I will
wear shades as appropriate (dark lenses to shield from sun or yellow lenses for
low light/poor visibility clear lenses are good for night wear) as the lenses
keep the wind, rain, grit, flies out of your eyes.

5. Stay off the ice. If its icy go for a walk instead. Lethal stuff.
Avoid.

Good idea

6. Have fun.

The most important one. Cycling is fun, even for me, a fatbirdonabike. When I
first got back on a bike after years away, I couldn't go five miles without
having to get off a few times and retrieve my lungs from the tarmac and I
certainly couldn't go up the hill the lies between my village and the next at
the back of my house. To be honest that wasn't fun at that time. BUT, the great
thing about cycling is that you see a noticeable improvement in fitness and
stamina over a relatively short space of time. Now, whilst I don't whizz up
said hill, I can get up it without having to use my granny ring :-) The key
was, for me, to start of at short distances and *gradually* work up to
improving over those distances and then extending the distances gradually.

Cheers, helen s

to get correct one remove dependency on fame & fortune