Winter riding....

Old January 8th 05, 05:33 PM
KLydesdale

Default Winter riding....

Not extreme but at least we're actually riding....

http://www.mmba.org/gallery/pontiaclake

Old January 8th 05, 05:48 PM
Slacker

On Sat, 8 Jan 2005 12:33:52 -0500, KLydesdale =
=

wrote:

Not extreme but at least we're actually riding....

http://www.mmba.org/gallery/pontiaclake

Looks extremely co... co... cold!

-- =

Slacker
Old January 8th 05, 07:50 PM
KLydesdale

newspskao3qk4m83lxu@slacker...
wrote:

Not extreme but at least we're actually riding....

http://www.mmba.org/gallery/pontiaclake

Looks extremely co... co... cold!

Let's see that was Dec 12. Temps for the day ranged between 30-36 degrees
F, actually very pleasant temps for winter riding. Once you get the right
clothing and learn to use it properly, it's really no big deal. The beauty
of the woods makes the hassle of the extra clothing well worth it. And
very so often we get a nice surprise - like the time a snowy owl flew down
the trail ahead of us right at head height. He was so close we could feel
the wash off his wings.

Old January 8th 05, 08:20 PM
Slacker

On Sat, 8 Jan 2005 14:50:00 -0500, KLydesdale =
=

wrote:

"Slacker" wrote in message
newspskao3qk4m83lxu@slacker...
On Sat, 8 Jan 2005 12:33:52 -0500, KLydesdale =

et
wrote:

[...]

That would be very cool. The closet I got to an experience like that was=
=

nearly getting kicked in the head by a rabid deer, and stocked by a hung=
ry =

puddy cat :-p

-- =

Slacker
Old January 8th 05, 08:29 PM

newspskav3ut8m83lxu@slacker...

--
Slacker

It's even worse when the deer congregate in the middle of a fast road.

Old January 9th 05, 12:41 AM
Zilla

KLydesdale wrote:
Not extreme but at least we're actually riding....

http://www.mmba.org/gallery/pontiaclake

Cool, I mean cold! The first 2 pics looked liked
b/w one 'til I had a closer look.

--
- Zilla
Cary, NC

Old January 9th 05, 01:29 AM
(Pete Cresswell)

Per KLydesdale:

http://www.mmba.org/gallery/pontiaclake

Don't you have trouble with face planting due to the front wheel washing out on
things like patches of ice or frozen-over wet tree roots?
--
PeteCresswell
Old January 9th 05, 11:34 AM

Now thats a non seasonal Mtber snow. Virgin the best
way to go and just below freezing makes it even better.

Old January 9th 05, 01:22 PM
Marty

"KLydesdale" wrote in message
Not extreme but at least we're actually riding....

http://www.mmba.org/gallery/pontiaclake

Nice stuff. We just have rain and mud around here (Maryland). Looks like
its going to stay that way for awhile. Muddy that is.............

Marty

Old January 9th 05, 03:54 PM
KLydesdale

"(Pete Cresswell)" wrote in message
Per KLydesdale:

http://www.mmba.org/gallery/pontiaclake

Don't you have trouble with face planting due to the front wheel washing

out on
things like patches of ice or frozen-over wet tree roots?
--

On the day those photos were taken, there were no ice patches - only a
couple of inches of freshly fallen snow. As you can see from some of the

Ice patches are generally only a problem later in the season after a good
frost layer has formed and we have a quick warm-up/refreeze cycle where the
snow on the surface melts down, can't drain off due to the frost layer and
then re-freezes in puddles when the temps get colder. In conditions like
this, I use my studded tires for safety. With these tires, I've safely
ridden in conditions where you could have ice-skated on the flatter parts of
the trail. Luckily the climbs and descents never really get icy because
the water runs off.

Riding on through a couple of inches of fresh-fallen snow or on a good
snowpack has been some of the most fun riding I've done. I've shared this
fun with several of my friends now by taking them out for their first winter
rides in these good conditions and they have all commented how amazed they
were amazed at the traction and control that they had when they expected to
be slipping and sliding all over the place.

Winter Riding in Quebec UNIquelyCanadian Unicycling 6 January 3rd 05 11:40 PM
MUni riding – Eastern Kentucky - weekend of April 23-25 billham Unicycling 5 January 26th 04 03:45 AM
Winter Riding - Again Saint UK 13 January 21st 04 07:24 AM
Winter Riding Jeff General 20 July 12th 03 06:54 PM