A Cycling & bikes forum. CycleBanter.com

Go Back   Home » CycleBanter.com forum » rec.bicycles » Techniques
Site Map Home Register Authors List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Web Partners

Sheldon Brown site



 
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old June 12th 21, 10:41 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Roger Merriman[_4_]
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 385
Default Sheldon Brown site

It’s been reported that Harris bike shop is closing down, And thus
questions over Sheldon Browns site, ie will it disappear?

I believe he was of this group? Though before my time I think.

https://road.cc/content/news/concern...website-284033

Roger Merriman.
Ads
  #2  
Old June 12th 21, 10:50 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Tom Kunich[_4_]
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 2,196
Default Sheldon Brown site

On Saturday, June 12, 2021 at 2:42:02 PM UTC-7, Roger Merriman wrote:
It’s been reported that Harris bike shop is closing down, And thus
questions over Sheldon Browns site, ie will it disappear?

I believe he was of this group? Though before my time I think.

https://road.cc/content/news/concern...website-284033

This is a real concern since Sheldon's site was the go-to for most maintenance tasks on bicycles.
  #3  
Old June 12th 21, 11:12 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Roger Merriman[_4_]
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 385
Default Sheldon Brown site

Tom Kunich wrote:
On Saturday, June 12, 2021 at 2:42:02 PM UTC-7, Roger Merriman wrote:
It’s been reported that Harris bike shop is closing down, And thus
questions over Sheldon Browns site, ie will it disappear?

I believe he was of this group? Though before my time I think.

https://road.cc/content/news/concern...website-284033

This is a real concern since Sheldon's site was the go-to for most
maintenance tasks on bicycles.

To be fair I mostly use it for gear inch calculation as I like the way it
works.

Roger Merriman

  #4  
Old June 13th 21, 12:21 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Ralph Barone[_4_]
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 853
Default Sheldon Brown site

Roger Merriman wrote:
It’s been reported that Harris bike shop is closing down, And thus
questions over Sheldon Browns site, ie will it disappear?

I believe he was of this group? Though before my time I think.

https://road.cc/content/news/concern...website-284033

Roger Merriman.


I’m not sure that anything is stopping you from crawling the site and
downloading the entire contents to your hard drive.

  #5  
Old June 13th 21, 02:43 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
pH
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 33
Default Sheldon Brown site

On 2021-06-12, Ralph Barone wrote:
Roger Merriman wrote:
It’s been reported that Harris bike shop is closing down, And thus
questions over Sheldon Browns site, ie will it disappear?

I believe he was of this group? Though before my time I think.

https://road.cc/content/news/concern...website-284033

Roger Merriman.


I’m not sure that anything is stopping you from crawling the site and
downloading the entire contents to your hard drive.


Would 'wget' or 'curl' be used for something like that?

pH
  #6  
Old June 13th 21, 03:08 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
James[_8_]
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 6,153
Default Sheldon Brown site

On 13/6/21 11:43 am, pH wrote:
On 2021-06-12, Ralph Barone wrote:
Roger Merriman wrote:
It’s been reported that Harris bike shop is closing down, And thus
questions over Sheldon Browns site, ie will it disappear?

I believe he was of this group? Though before my time I think.

https://road.cc/content/news/concern...website-284033

Roger Merriman.


I’m not sure that anything is stopping you from crawling the site and
downloading the entire contents to your hard drive.


Would 'wget' or 'curl' be used for something like that?

pH


wget -k -p -r https://www.sheldonbrown.com/ ./

might do the trick.

--
JS
  #7  
Old June 13th 21, 08:15 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Jeff Liebermann
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 4,018
Default Sheldon Brown site

On Sun, 13 Jun 2021 12:08:32 +1000, James
wrote:

On 13/6/21 11:43 am, pH wrote:
On 2021-06-12, Ralph Barone wrote:
Roger Merriman wrote:
Its been reported that Harris bike shop is closing down, And thus
questions over Sheldon Browns site, ie will it disappear?

I believe he was of this group? Though before my time I think.

https://road.cc/content/news/concern...website-284033

Roger Merriman.


Im not sure that anything is stopping you from crawling the site and
downloading the entire contents to your hard drive.


Would 'wget' or 'curl' be used for something like that?
pH


wget -k -p -r https://www.sheldonbrown.com/ ./
might do the trick.


I use HTTrack:
http://www.httrack.com
for copying and backing up web sites. Open source. Available for
Windoze, Linux, and Android. Also includes command line versions.

Using the Windoze 64 bit version (my Linux Mint box needs a storage
upgrade), I downloaded about 40MBytes of https://www.sheldonbrown.com.
I can see view web pages, so HTTrack seems to be working. However,
it's midnight, so I'll stop here and continue tomorrow.


--
Jeff Liebermann
PO Box 272
http://www.LearnByDestroying.com
Ben Lomond CA 95005-0272
Skype: JeffLiebermann AE6KS 831-336-2558
  #8  
Old June 13th 21, 02:47 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Andre Jute[_2_]
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 10,422
Default Sheldon Brown site

On Sunday, June 13, 2021 at 8:15:43 AM UTC+1, wrote:
On Sun, 13 Jun 2021 12:08:32 +1000, James
wrote:
On 13/6/21 11:43 am, pH wrote:
On 2021-06-12, Ralph Barone wrote:
Roger Merriman wrote:
It’s been reported that Harris bike shop is closing down, And thus
questions over Sheldon Browns site, ie will it disappear?

I believe he was of this group? Though before my time I think.

https://road.cc/content/news/concern...website-284033

Roger Merriman.


I’m not sure that anything is stopping you from crawling the site and
downloading the entire contents to your hard drive.


Would 'wget' or 'curl' be used for something like that?
pH


wget -k -p -r https://www.sheldonbrown.com/ ./
might do the trick.

I use HTTrack:
http://www.httrack.com
for copying and backing up web sites. Open source. Available for
Windoze, Linux, and Android. Also includes command line versions.

Using the Windoze 64 bit version (my Linux Mint box needs a storage
upgrade), I downloaded about 40MBytes of https://www.sheldonbrown.com.
I can see view web pages, so HTTrack seems to be working. However,
it's midnight, so I'll stop here and continue tomorrow.


--
Jeff Liebermann
PO Box 272 http://www.LearnByDestroying.com
Ben Lomond CA 95005-0272
Skype: JeffLiebermann AE6KS 831-336-2558

..
Your reward will be in Another Place. -- What Boris said, back when he was a journal editor, to a writer who asked for more money. -- AJ
  #9  
Old June 13th 21, 03:14 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
AMuzi
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 13,447
Default Sheldon Brown site

On 6/12/2021 6:21 PM, Ralph Barone wrote:
Roger Merriman wrote:
It’s been reported that Harris bike shop is closing down, And thus
questions over Sheldon Browns site, ie will it disappear?

I believe he was of this group? Though before my time I think.

https://road.cc/content/news/concern...website-284033

Roger Merriman.


I’m not sure that anything is stopping you from crawling the site and
downloading the entire contents to your hard drive.


Or buying server space and hosting a mirror site.

--
Andrew Muzi
www.yellowjersey.org/
Open every day since 1 April, 1971


  #10  
Old June 13th 21, 03:55 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Ralph Barone[_4_]
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 853
Default Sheldon Brown site

AMuzi wrote:
On 6/12/2021 6:21 PM, Ralph Barone wrote:
Roger Merriman wrote:
It’s been reported that Harris bike shop is closing down, And thus
questions over Sheldon Browns site, ie will it disappear?

I believe he was of this group? Though before my time I think.

https://road.cc/content/news/concern...website-284033

Roger Merriman.


I’m not sure that anything is stopping you from crawling the site and
downloading the entire contents to your hard drive.


Or buying server space and hosting a mirror site.


Which will, of course be the real litmus test to see if this is indeed the
travesty that people are saying it is.

 




Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Sheldon-Brown-RIP kanangara[_20_] Australia 20 February 12th 08 11:36 AM
RIP Sheldon Brown mark General 3 February 11th 08 10:47 PM
RIP Sheldon Brown. G-S Australia 0 February 4th 08 11:05 PM
Sheldon Brown Kenny General 40 November 14th 06 03:28 AM
Sheldon Brown Just zis Guy, you know? Techniques 49 October 10th 03 10:31 PM


All times are GMT +1. The time now is 03:20 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.6.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2022, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright 2004-2022 CycleBanter.com.
The comments are property of their posters.