A Cycling & bikes forum. CycleBanter.com

Go Back   Home » CycleBanter.com forum » rec.bicycles » Racing
Site Map Home Register Authors List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Web Partners

Data (was PowerCranks Study)



 
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old October 6th 03, 11:55 PM
Phil Holman
external usenet poster
 
Posts: n/a
Default Data (was PowerCranks Study)

Here is a condensed preview of the numbers from the PC testing. The
study was conducted by Mark D. Luttrell, Dept of Health, Sport and
Exercise Science, University of Kansas and Jeffrey A. Pottteiger, Dept
of Physical Education, Health and Sports Studies, Miami University.

The effects of 6 weeks of training with PCs was examined for 6 cyclists
(+6 with regular cranks) to determine changes in V02 max, AT, HR, V0,
and RER during a 1 hour submaximal ride (~69% V02 max).

Here are the numbers for Heartrate (HR) and Gross Efficiency (GE) before
and after training.

Time (minutes)

PC Group 15 30 45 60

HR Pre 154 155 156 157

Post 141 140 141 141



GE (%)Pre 21.5 21.3 21.6 21.5

Post 23.1 23.0 23.6 23.9



Control Group

HR Pre 166 165 166 163

Post 159 159 159 160



GE (%) Pre 21.3 20.8 20.8 21.2

Post 21.8 21.5 21.3 21.0

Significant is the 2% increase in Gross Efficiency of the PC group.

Phil Holman


Ads
  #2  
Old October 7th 03, 01:27 AM
RACER X
external usenet poster
 
Posts: n/a
Default Data (was PowerCranks Study)

HOLE MAN,

Why would a person who wants to find out whether or not POWER CRANKS are
better than regular cranks introduce the highly variable noise that this
study does?

I could just as easily conclude from this data set that the reason why it
showed a 2% increase in "gross effiency" is because the subjects tested
simply had an additional 6 weeks worth of training under their belt. In no
way, shape, or form, could one conclude that the extra 2% gain was due
solely to the use of Power Cranks. In fact, the subjects claimed 2% gain
could have just as easily have come from a 3-4% increase in fitness output
coupled to a decrease of 1-2% (caused by the Power Cranks), thereby
resulting in a 2% net gain.

Also, no reputable scientist claims confidance in a study with an "n"
number of only 6 subjects.

In addition, the University of Kansas and Miami University are both party
schools and any "scientific study" out of these overglorified frat houses
probably aren't going to be appearing in Nature anytime soon.

It was a nice infomercial though. One question: do Power Cranks come with
a ****ing bucket of OxyClean?

Take care,

Racer X



Phil Holman wrote:

Here is a condensed preview of the numbers from the PC testing. The
study was conducted by Mark D. Luttrell, Dept of Health, Sport and
Exercise Science, University of Kansas and Jeffrey A. Pottteiger, Dept
of Physical Education, Health and Sports Studies, Miami University.

The effects of 6 weeks of training with PCs was examined for 6 cyclists
(+6 with regular cranks) to determine changes in V02 max, AT, HR, V0,
and RER during a 1 hour submaximal ride (~69% V02 max).

Here are the numbers for Heartrate (HR) and Gross Efficiency (GE) before
and after training.

Time (minutes)

PC Group 15 30 45 60

HR Pre 154 155 156 157

Post 141 140 141 141

GE (%)Pre 21.5 21.3 21.6 21.5

Post 23.1 23.0 23.6 23.9

Control Group

HR Pre 166 165 166 163

Post 159 159 159 160

GE (%) Pre 21.3 20.8 20.8 21.2

Post 21.8 21.5 21.3 21.0

Significant is the 2% increase in Gross Efficiency of the PC group.

Phil Holman


  #3  
Old October 7th 03, 01:53 AM
Carl Sundquist
external usenet poster
 
Posts: n/a
Default Data (was PowerCranks Study)


"RACER X" wrote in message
...

In addition, the University of Kansas and Miami University are both party
schools and any "scientific study" out of these overglorified frat houses
probably aren't going to be appearing in Nature anytime soon.


I'm confident that people in southwestern Ohio laugh at dumbasses like you quite often.

http://www.miami.muohio.edu/about_miami/index.cfm

Dr. Jeffrey Aaron Potteiger
Classification: faculty
Title: Chair & Professor
UniqueID: potteija
E-Mail Address:
delivered to

Division: VP - Provost
Department: Phys Educ Hlth Sport Studies
Campus Address: Phys Educ Hlth & Sprt Studies
Phillips Hall, 106B
Campus Phone: +1 513 529 2700



The party school is the University of Miami.


  #4  
Old October 7th 03, 02:28 AM
chris
external usenet poster
 
Posts: n/a
Default Data (was PowerCranks Study)

Any chance we can get the full citation? I'd like to review the full paper.

Chris

"Phil Holman" wrote in message nk.net...
Here is a condensed preview of the numbers from the PC testing. The
study was conducted by Mark D. Luttrell, Dept of Health, Sport and
Exercise Science, University of Kansas and Jeffrey A. Pottteiger, Dept
of Physical Education, Health and Sports Studies, Miami University.

The effects of 6 weeks of training with PCs was examined for 6 cyclists
(+6 with regular cranks) to determine changes in V02 max, AT, HR, V0,
and RER during a 1 hour submaximal ride (~69% V02 max).

Here are the numbers for Heartrate (HR) and Gross Efficiency (GE) before
and after training.

Time (minutes)

PC Group 15 30 45 60

HR Pre 154 155 156 157

Post 141 140 141 141



GE (%)Pre 21.5 21.3 21.6 21.5

Post 23.1 23.0 23.6 23.9



Control Group

HR Pre 166 165 166 163

Post 159 159 159 160



GE (%) Pre 21.3 20.8 20.8 21.2

Post 21.8 21.5 21.3 21.0

Significant is the 2% increase in Gross Efficiency of the PC group.

Phil Holman

  #5  
Old October 7th 03, 02:35 AM
RACER X
external usenet poster
 
Posts: n/a
Default Data (was PowerCranks Study)

Fair enough, but it's still a party school. And I stand by all my criticisms of that
study.

Little if any damage was done to my credibility by not knowing that some school (mis)named
Miami University was located in southwestern Ohio. As a matter of fact, I think the name
of the college is intentionally designed to deceive applicants into thinking the beach is
only a 5 minute drive from their dorm.

And I also hereby add the entire state of Ohio and all its colleges and universities
contained within its state boundary to the official party school list. Now look what
you've done.

At least the U. of Miami has a football program and some hot cheerleaders, many with thong
tanlines.

Ohio can't even keep their ****ing power grid up, let alone conduct studies of anything
involving work over time.

Q.I.D.

Racer X

Carl Sundquist wrote:

"RACER X" wrote in message
...

In addition, the University of Kansas and Miami University are both party
schools and any "scientific study" out of these overglorified frat houses
probably aren't going to be appearing in Nature anytime soon.


I'm confident that people in southwestern Ohio laugh at dumbasses like you quite often.

http://www.miami.muohio.edu/about_miami/index.cfm

Dr. Jeffrey Aaron Potteiger
Classification: faculty
Title: Chair & Professor
UniqueID: potteija
E-Mail Address:
delivered to

Division: VP - Provost
Department: Phys Educ Hlth Sport Studies
Campus Address: Phys Educ Hlth & Sprt Studies
Phillips Hall, 106B
Campus Phone: +1 513 529 2700

The party school is the University of Miami.


  #6  
Old October 7th 03, 02:43 AM
RACER X
external usenet poster
 
Posts: n/a
Default Data (was PowerCranks Study)

Dude,

I already wrote the only review that matters. Why try to reinvent the wheel?

Racer X



chris wrote:

Any chance we can get the full citation? I'd like to review the full paper.

Chris

"Phil Holman" wrote in message nk.net...
Here is a condensed preview of the numbers from the PC testing. The
study was conducted by Mark D. Luttrell, Dept of Health, Sport and
Exercise Science, University of Kansas and Jeffrey A. Pottteiger, Dept
of Physical Education, Health and Sports Studies, Miami University.

The effects of 6 weeks of training with PCs was examined for 6 cyclists
(+6 with regular cranks) to determine changes in V02 max, AT, HR, V0,
and RER during a 1 hour submaximal ride (~69% V02 max).

Here are the numbers for Heartrate (HR) and Gross Efficiency (GE) before
and after training.

Time (minutes)

PC Group 15 30 45 60

HR Pre 154 155 156 157

Post 141 140 141 141



GE (%)Pre 21.5 21.3 21.6 21.5

Post 23.1 23.0 23.6 23.9



Control Group

HR Pre 166 165 166 163

Post 159 159 159 160



GE (%) Pre 21.3 20.8 20.8 21.2

Post 21.8 21.5 21.3 21.0

Significant is the 2% increase in Gross Efficiency of the PC group.

Phil Holman


  #8  
Old October 7th 03, 02:56 AM
Nick Burns
external usenet poster
 
Posts: n/a
Default Data (was PowerCranks Study)


"RACER X" wrote in message
...
Fair enough, but it's still a party school. And I stand by all my

criticisms of that
study.

Little if any damage was done to my credibility by not knowing that some

school (mis)named
Miami University was located in southwestern Ohio. As a matter of fact,

I think the name
of the college is intentionally designed to deceive applicants into

thinking the beach is
only a 5 minute drive from their dorm.


Holy ****! You think people would enroll in a school before confirming which
state it is located?


And I also hereby add the entire state of Ohio and all its colleges and

universities
contained within its state boundary to the official party school list.

Now look what
you've done.


Any college in the United States younger than 200 years is likely a party
school.




  #9  
Old October 7th 03, 04:14 AM
Sam
external usenet poster
 
Posts: n/a
Default Data (was PowerCranks Study)


"RACER X" wrote in message
...
Fair enough, but it's still a party school. And I stand by all my

criticisms of that
study.

Little if any damage was done to my credibility by not knowing that some

school (mis)named
Miami University was located in southwestern Ohio. As a matter of fact,

I think the name
of the college is intentionally designed to deceive applicants into

thinking the beach is
only a 5 minute drive from their dorm.

And I also hereby add the entire state of Ohio and all its colleges and

universities
contained within its state boundary to the official party school list.

Now look what
you've done.

At least the U. of Miami has a football program and some hot cheerleaders,

many with thong
tanlines.


Remember, (t)OSU beat UM back in January (married to a Buckeye alum).

Ohio can't even keep their ****ing power grid up, let alone conduct

studies of anything
involving work over time.

Q.I.D.

Racer X

Carl Sundquist wrote:

"RACER X" wrote in message
...

In addition, the University of Kansas and Miami University are both

party
schools and any "scientific study" out of these overglorified frat

houses
probably aren't going to be appearing in Nature anytime soon.


I'm confident that people in southwestern Ohio laugh at dumbasses like

you quite often.

http://www.miami.muohio.edu/about_miami/index.cfm

Dr. Jeffrey Aaron Potteiger
Classification: faculty
Title: Chair & Professor
UniqueID: potteija
E-Mail Address:
delivered to

Division: VP - Provost
Department: Phys Educ Hlth Sport Studies
Campus Address: Phys Educ Hlth & Sprt Studies
Phillips Hall, 106B
Campus Phone: +1 513 529 2700

The party school is the University of Miami.




  #10  
Old October 7th 03, 04:15 AM
Sam
external usenet poster
 
Posts: n/a
Default Data (was PowerCranks Study)


"Nick Burns" wrote in message
m...

"RACER X" wrote in message
...
Fair enough, but it's still a party school. And I stand by all my

criticisms of that
study.

Little if any damage was done to my credibility by not knowing that some

school (mis)named
Miami University was located in southwestern Ohio. As a matter of

fact,
I think the name
of the college is intentionally designed to deceive applicants into

thinking the beach is
only a 5 minute drive from their dorm.


Holy ****! You think people would enroll in a school before confirming

which
state it is located?


And I also hereby add the entire state of Ohio and all its colleges and

universities
contained within its state boundary to the official party school list.

Now look what
you've done.


Any college in the United States younger than 200 years is likely a party
school.



Even some older than 200 years--University of Georgia and University of
North Carolina can party well (both have good to excellent academic
credentials within state universities)


 




Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Science Proves Mountain Biking Is More Harmful Than Hiking Stephen Baker Mountain Biking 18 July 16th 04 04:28 AM
Need Watts Data for Testing GaryG General 0 November 2nd 03 04:16 PM
Reports from Sweden Garry Jones General 17 October 14th 03 05:23 PM
PowerCranks Study Phil Holman Racing 3 October 4th 03 07:54 AM


All times are GMT +1. The time now is 08:03 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.6.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2022, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright 2004-2022 CycleBanter.com.
The comments are property of their posters.