RR: Alpine Trail

Old August 23rd 06, 02:14 AM posted to alt.mountain-bike
Ride-A-Lot

Default RR: Alpine Trail

[Inline on my website]

Out the door of the hotel and on the way to Mountain Bike Oregon. A
weekend of camping, riding, and drinking (for some, not me). I must be
getting good at this because I set up my tent in record time, which is
good because there is a bus waiting. Really.

http://www.schnauzers.ws/images/OR/IMG_4428.jpg

The bus drops off us at the top. Well, almost. This is the starting
point of the Alpine Trail (22 miles) and for those more adventurous, an
extra mileage option on Tired Mountain. I stuck with Alpine. There
were a few who did the fire road climb to the trailhead. Good for them!

http://www.schnauzers.ws/images/OR/IMG_4429.jpg

http://www.schnauzers.ws/images/OR/IMG_4430.jpg

We head up on what looks like a newly cut in trail of beautiful
singletrack for another mile.

http://www.schnauzers.ws/images/OR/IMG_4431.jpg

At some point we intersect with Alpine Trail, but I couldn't tell you
were. I was having way too much fun. Just pure narrow singletrack
alternating between thick wooded cover and meadowy views.

http://www.schnauzers.ws/images/OR/IMG_4433.jpg

http://www.schnauzers.ws/images/OR/IMG_4434.jpg

http://www.schnauzers.ws/images/OR/IMG_4435.jpg

http://www.schnauzers.ws/images/OR/IMG_4440.jpg

http://www.schnauzers.ws/images/OR/IMG_4441.jpg

http://www.schnauzers.ws/images/OR/IMG_4442.jpg

The group splits apart shortly into the trail. There are three groups
with the hammerheads leading the way, the gawkers (me) in the middle,
and the sweepers bringing up the rear. It was a good pace for me.
Definately not a technical trail, it did carry a lot of speed!

http://www.schnauzers.ws/images/OR/IMG_4445.jpg

http://www.schnauzers.ws/images/OR/IMG_4446.jpg

The end drops you by a beautiful covered bridge, the last nice thing
you'll see as you ride the scorching blacktop five miles back to camp.

http://www.schnauzers.ws/images/OR/IMG_4447.jpg

http://www.schnauzers.ws/images/OR/IMG_4449.jpg

http://www.schnauzers.ws/images/OR/IMG_4450.jpg

Dinner was uneventful. I ate it, but I don't remember what it was. If
there was one thing I would improve, it would be the food. The beer
flowed all night (Coca-Cola for me) along with entertainment on the stage.

--
o-o-o-o Ride-A-Lot o-o-o-o
www.schnauzers.ws
Old August 23rd 06, 04:44 AM posted to alt.mountain-bike
Chris Glidden

Default Alpine Trail

Nice.

Old August 23rd 06, 07:19 AM posted to alt.mountain-bike
Paladin

Ride-A-Lot wrote:
[Inline on my website]

Out the door of the hotel and on the way to Mountain Bike Oregon. A
weekend of camping, riding, and drinking (for some, not me). I must be
getting good at this because I set up my tent in record time, which is
good because there is a bus waiting. Really.

http://www.schnauzers.ws/images/OR/IMG_4428.jpg
--
o-o-o-o Ride-A-Lot o-o-o-o
www.schnauzers.ws

Guess the guy on the bus with his helmet on figured if he can't have a
seatbelt, he was gonna be as safe as he could be, eh?

Nice shots. I might have to go next year. They advertise pretty heavy
over here every spring and summer.

CDB

Old August 23rd 06, 02:26 PM posted to alt.mountain-bike
Ride-A-Lot

Paladin wrote:
Ride-A-Lot wrote:
[Inline on my website]

Out the door of the hotel and on the way to Mountain Bike Oregon. A
weekend of camping, riding, and drinking (for some, not me). I must be
getting good at this because I set up my tent in record time, which is
good because there is a bus waiting. Really.

http://www.schnauzers.ws/images/OR/IMG_4428.jpg
--
o-o-o-o Ride-A-Lot o-o-o-o
www.schnauzers.ws

Guess the guy on the bus with his helmet on figured if he can't have a
seatbelt, he was gonna be as safe as he could be, eh?

I think most of them had their lids on. I guess they didn't realize it
was a 40 minute ride to the top.

Nice shots. I might have to go next year. They advertise pretty heavy
over here every spring and summer.

Last year they had 80 attendees, this year they said it was 280. In my
best guestimate I would say more like 150. I really think if you get a
good group together, you can do better without the party. Not that $150
is bad for 3 meals a day and all the beer you can drink, but the food
could certainly be better, shuttles can be done in a private group, and
a better camping facility could be had. If you weren't a member of the
Disciples of Dirt, you had to camp in the new section of the park. It
was like camping in Saudi Arabia because there was no tree cover, the
grass was dead, and everything was hot and dusty. The DOD got to camp
in the old growth shade near the creek on lush carpet like green grass.
I'd compare it to camping at the Four Seasons vs camping at Motel 6.

--
o-o-o-o Ride-A-Lot o-o-o-o
www.schnauzers.ws
Old August 23rd 06, 03:54 PM posted to alt.mountain-bike
small change

"
Last year they had 80 attendees, this year they said it was 280. In my
best guestimate I would say more like 150. I really think if you get a
good group together, you can do better without the party. Not that $150
is bad for 3 meals a day and all the beer you can drink, but the food
could certainly be better, shuttles can be done in a private group, and a
better camping facility could be had. If you weren't a member of the
Disciples of Dirt, you had to camp in the new section of the park. It was
like camping in Saudi Arabia because there was no tree cover, the grass
was dead, and everything was hot and dusty. The DOD got to camp in the
old growth shade near the creek on lush carpet like green grass. I'd
compare it to camping at the Four Seasons vs camping at Motel 6.

Not that I know anything, but maybe it was first come ( sign up ) first
serve on the camping? Or maybe the people that worked hard to put it
together got first dibs?
Anyway, the way you describe it, makes me for sure not want to go. Too many
people, too much of a scene. I like small groups.

Old August 23rd 06, 04:01 PM posted to alt.mountain-bike
MattB

Ride-A-Lot wrote:
Paladin wrote:

Ride-A-Lot wrote:

[...]

That sounds bad. I often avoid MTB festivals for all the reasons you
listed, and I think I'd much rather make or buy my own food and ride in
a small group.

Matt
Old August 23rd 06, 04:48 PM posted to alt.mountain-bike
Ride-A-Lot

small change wrote:
"
[...]

It was reserved for DOD. Some of the DOD participated in running the
even, but most did not. It's just the privilege of belonging to that
club. I too like small groups and I'd rather cook or go to a restaurant
for food. However, the opportunity to ride and hang with ChippY and
company was worth the hassle.

--
o-o-o-o Ride-A-Lot o-o-o-o
www.schnauzers.ws
Old August 23rd 06, 06:31 PM posted to alt.mountain-bike
CB

However, the opportunity to ride and hang with ChippY and
company was worth the hassle.

--

Now that I know where the goods are, I'm going back to Oregon AGAIN but
NOT with mtbike Oregon. Mitch was just one of 11 in our group. That

The people that ran the trip were terrific! Location awesome! The
trails..... incredible...... in fact... if this place wasn't "under the
weather" half the year, I'd seriously think about cashing in my losocal
"chips"and move to Oakridge OR. DANG THAT PLACE IS SWEET!

That being said, I agree that they did a big dis-service to the guests
by hiring out the local "kiwanis" club to put together our meals. The
food was hideous. If I were in prison, I'd eat it. But I needed some
LARGE calories before and after these rides. I would have gladly paid
MORE MONEY if there were a sincere effort to feed us right. Food is
an essential part of vacation, and it would not be hard at all to
make good food. Yeah the beer was good...... I had 3 cups. But some
people made up for the missing calories at the tap ;-)

There was one particular trail, "the middle fork", that was most
amazing to me. The campground at the end of the ride ( I think it was
called 'Butcherblock") is where I'll camp next time. Then that
ride/trail can be dissected carefully!

Old August 23rd 06, 10:40 PM posted to alt.mountain-bike
Chris Glidden

CB wrote:

There was one particular trail, "the middle fork", that was most
amazing to me. The campground at the end of the ride ( I think it was
called 'Butcherblock") is where I'll camp next time. Then that
ride/trail can be dissected carefully!

Keep me in the loop on your next excursion up there, I'll do my best to
make it. Any interest in a road trip to Flagstaff at the end of
September? That goes for (most) any AM-B regular. Leaving either late
Thursday/very early Friday 9/28-29 and staying through Sunday 10/1.
There are 3 of us commited with a couple more that are on the fence at
the moment. The more the merrier, certainly not 150 more though.

CG

Old August 24th 06, 04:22 AM posted to alt.mountain-bike
CB

Chris Glidden wrote:
CB wrote:

There was one particular trail, "the middle fork", that was most
amazing to me. The campground at the end of the ride ( I think it was
called 'Butcherblock") is where I'll camp next time. Then that
ride/trail can be dissected carefully!

Keep me in the loop on your next excursion up there, I'll do my best to
make it. Any interest in a road trip to Flagstaff at the end of
September? That goes for (most) any AM-B regular. Leaving either late
Thursday/very early Friday 9/28-29 and staying through Sunday 10/1.
There are 3 of us commited with a couple more that are on the fence at
the moment. The more the merrier, certainly not 150 more though.

CG

I'll be in Sedona Oct 12-20, so Sept is a "working" month! Hahahaha

Next August in Oregon! REAL trails.......REAL FOOD!

Chip

Dakota Ridge Trail [ratings are severe] - Denver, Colorado [email protected] Mountain Biking 24 December 5th 05 06:24 PM
Troy's Excellent D.C. to Pittsburgh NBG Adventure Cycle America General 0 May 24th 05 11:04 PM
Katy Trail,RR TBGibb Rides 2 December 10th 04 03:05 AM
Katy Trail,RR TBGibb Rides 0 December 10th 04 01:30 AM
RR Guelph Hiking Trail - Very Long Robert Schultz Mountain Biking 0 July 21st 03 05:12 AM