ANOTHER Dead Mountain Biker

Old March 1st 09, 04:29 PM posted to alt.mountain-bike,rec.bicycles.soc,rec.backcountry,ca.environment,sci.environment
tom

Default ANOTHER Dead Mountain Biker

On Feb 28, 5:06 pm, wrote:
On 28 Feb, 22:07, Mike Vandeman wrote:

On Sat, 28 Feb 2009 12:34:02 -0800 (PST),
wrote:

On Feb 26, 3:51 am, Mike Vandeman wrote:
Evolution at work.... So much for the ALLEGED health benefits of
mountain biking....

Mike

http://www.thespectrum.com/article/2...RIES/902250302

Paul David Navar
February 25, 2009

Buzz up! ST. GEORGE - Paul David Navar, M.D. was a young 52 when he
passed away in St. George, Utah on Saturday, February 21st. Paul
passed away enjoying an activity he loved, bicycling. He was found at
the top of Chuck-walla Trail, surrounded by beautiful red rocks, with
the view of Pine Valley Mountain in the background. Paul did not die
in an accident; he rode to the top of the mountain, dismounted his
bicycle, grabbed his water bottle, and laid back to take in the view.
This was where Paul went peacefully, and if he could have chosen how
he would go, this would have been it. Paul was born September 27, 1956
in El Paso, Texas to Macedonio and Julianne Navar. The oldest of
seven, his favorite phrase was "Mom and Dad have loved me the
longest." As his five younger sisters grew into beautiful women, Paul
became the protective, older brother. He was a star athlete at his
high school, and it is there where he met his future wife, Marsha
Sales. Paul went on to Stanford University where he played football
his freshman and sophomore year. He graduated in three years on
January 5, 1978, with a Bachelor of Science. Paul was then accepted to
Southwestern Medical School. While in medical school, he married his
wonderful wife, Marsha, on June 20, 1980. He graduated in the top 10%,
and was a member of the Alpha Omega Alpha medical honor society. In
1982, he and his wife moved to Salt Lake City to complete his
residency at the University of Utah, where he received the outstanding
intern award. It was there that his first son, Jon Paul, was born.
When Paul completed his residency, he moved back to El Paso where he
became the director of two major emergency rooms. While in El Paso he
welcomed his second son, Kirk, and his little angel, Allison. In 1999,
Paul moved his family to St. George, Utah where he opened his own
practice in Age Management Medicine. Paul had many hobbies. He would
strive to become the best at one and then would move on to the next.
He was an expert golfer, tennis player, hiker, pilot, heli-skier,
rappeller, dirt biker, geocacher, and mountain biker. He was the best
husband, father, son and brother. Paul was also a bit of a nerd. He
enjoyed coin and rock collecting, chess and reading. Paul was a
brilliant, athletic, healthy, handsome, happy man. Just like Clark
Kent, my daddy was "Superman!"

http://home.pacbell.net/mjvande

mikey you are scum i have followed your rants about mountain bikers
and the glee you show when someone dies.

What glee? You are FABRICATING -- something mountain bikers are love
to do.

what is your carbon footprint? how much damage do you do to the
environment powering your computer,how much energy has been used to
make your pc?
where are you making your wildlife habitat?
how do you get there?
where do you get your groceries?
do you get the bus?

Don't change the subject. This newsgroup is about mountain biking, not
me. You just don't want to talk about the harm that mountain biking
does! Nothing new there!

http://home.pacbell.net/mjvande-Hide quoted text -

the point i am making is modern living with all the comforts we enjoy
creates harm to the environment but our activities need to be put into
context
there are huge amounts of activity that do far more harm to the
environment than cycling what about logging?
pollution of rivers and water courses by industry.
the destruction of habitats for intensive farming and house building.
i am a mountain bker but i also care for the environment and i do what
i possibly can to reduce my impact by only using my car when i need
to,recycle as much as possible etc etc
by cycling on trails and forest roads can you explain how i am being
irresponsible
oh by the way the link you posted about the mountain biker who died at
loch skerrow on feb 1st was my friend and he died in front of my eyes
we were on a road in a forest planted 50years ago for the sole purpose
of logging,we were on a forest road built at the same time and half
the route was on a dismantled railway.
cycling did not contribute to his death it was an inherited condition
he had, his father died at the same age in the same manner and he was
never on a mountain bike in his life.
please do not state as proof that cycling kills when you do not have
the full facts or as i suspect do not want to know the full facts as
it would blow your argument out of the water.

It's best to just ignore the troll, don'tcha know. Sorry for all the
crossposting, folks. Tom

Old March 1st 09, 08:28 PM posted to alt.mountain-bike,rec.bicycles.soc,rec.backcountry,ca.environment,sci.environment
Mike Vandeman

On Sat, 28 Feb 2009 15:17:33 -0800 (PST), Chris
wrote:

On Feb 28, 9:19 am, Mike Vandeman wrote:
On Thu, 26 Feb 2009 17:53:10 -0800 (PST), Chris
I have made this point in the past only to have Mike dispute it. It
seems his memory is selective and short.

Because it is not valid. DUH!

Your point is the one which is not valid Mike. You are not using
science to demonstrate that "mountain biking" (be it the type of
bicycle, type of riding, or the industry which makes mountain bikes)
killed anyone in any of the examples that I have seen you post here,
but instead your personal bias. There is no cause based effect, which
resulted in any of the deaths or injuries that you have posted which
are attributable to "mountain biking". It's roughly akin to saying
that it is the fault of the vehicle type which resulted in someone's
injury or death without looking at road/off road conditions, other
vehicles, weather conditions, health conditions, maintenance history
of the vehicles involved, piloting abilities of the driver(s)/rider(s)
involved, or any other mitigating circumstances.

Warning: Improbable, but relevant comparison ahead with bad humor, my
personal bias against SUVs, and personal adoration of steamrollers.

"Grr! An SUV just ran over my dog after hitting some ice, jumping a
curb, and crashing through my living room wall where my dog was
crated, therefore SUVs kill animals. Cars and steamrollers would have
never run over my dog if the driver had seen it, the road was dry,
they were driving 5 MPH, and we were 100 feet away! Damn you SUVs!"

If there is anyone avoiding any resemblance to scientific analysis,
and blatant disregard of the facts at hand, it is you Mike.

Chris
“I would like to dedicate this post to the amusement of others, and my
own ego! I never thought we could make it this far without either of
you! Thank to so much!”

Are you claiming that people never die from mountain biking? Where is
your evidence?

http://home.pacbell.net/mjvande
Old March 1st 09, 08:33 PM posted to alt.mountain-bike,rec.bicycles.soc,rec.backcountry,ca.environment,sci.environment
Mike Vandeman

wrote:

[...]

The harm that logging (or anything else) does is totally IRRELEVANT to
the harm that mountain biking does, and doesn't diminish it one iota.
Mountain bikers ALWAYS try to point to something else, to make their
selfish, destructive sport seem less harmful. That is specious
reasoning.

[...]

It's obvious that whatever he was doing at the time he died (i.e.,
mountain biking) DID contribute to his death. To claim otherwise is
absurd.

http://home.pacbell.net/mjvande
Old March 1st 09, 09:29 PM posted to alt.mountain-bike,rec.bicycles.soc,rec.backcountry,ca.environment,sci.environment

wrote:

[...]

at the time he died we just had lunch and we were sorting his chain
which had broken so DR Vandeman was it the lunch or mending his chain
that killed him?
Old March 1st 09, 09:31 PM posted to alt.mountain-bike,rec.bicycles.soc,rec.backcountry,ca.environment,sci.environment

wrote:
[...]

I never claimed that no one has ever died from mountain biking. i note
that on your list of interests you cite hiking is something you enjoy.
has anyone ever died from hiking? i would presume they have so would
you like to ban hiking as a hobby?by your reasoning because people
have accidents and or die whilst hiking it is inherently dangerous or
at the very least unhealthy
Old March 2nd 09, 12:07 AM posted to alt.mountain-bike,rec.bicycles.soc,rec.backcountry,ca.environment,sci.environment
Kayak44

--

Where's your evidence that anyone has died FROM mountain-biking?

Old March 2nd 09, 12:12 AM posted to alt.mountain-bike,rec.bicycles.soc,rec.backcountry,ca.environment,sci.environment
Kayak44

On Feb 26, 10:58*am, Mike Vandeman wrote:
On Thu, 26 Feb 2009 04:49:03 -0800 (PST), Kayak44

wrote:
On Feb 25, 10:51*pm, Mike Vandeman wrote:
[...]

Sounds like a great guy, the kind of person Michaen J. Vandeman hates.
I'll bet that part about Paul being a father is especially hard for
Mike to take being as Synanon forced him to get his ball sack snipped.

As usual, mountain bikers have no idea what they are talking about.
For them, LYING takes the place of communication.

Good for mountain-bikers, but let's not stray from what Synanon forced
you to do.

Old March 2nd 09, 02:52 AM posted to alt.mountain-bike,rec.bicycles.soc,rec.backcountry,ca.environment,sci.environment
Bill Sornson[_5_]

tom wrote:
{4-5 screens of old, senseless blather DELETED}

It's best to just ignore the troll, don'tcha know. Sorry for all the
crossposting, folks.

It's also best to TRIM YOUR POSTS -- especially the needless ones.

HTH, BS

Old March 2nd 09, 03:12 AM posted to alt.mountain-bike,rec.bicycles.soc,rec.backcountry,ca.environment,sci.environment
tom

On Mar 1, 7:52 pm, "Bill Sornson" wrote:
tom wrote:

{4-5 screens of old, senseless blather DELETED}

It's best to just ignore the troll, don'tcha know. Sorry for all the
crossposting, folks.

It's also best to TRIM YOUR POSTS -- especially the needless ones.

HTH, BS

Again, sorry. All I see when posting is "show quoted text". But the
crux of the biscuit remains: Ignor Vandeman! Tom