Chain Failure

Old February 11th 12, 07:30 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
thirty-six

Default Chain Failure

On Feb 6, 2:54*pm, "(PeteCresswell)" wrote:
Anybody want to speculate on the cause of this one?

http://tinyurl.com/6u6qm6c

Looks like it split on the M of the SRAM branding. There's a thumbs
up for my Chinese Redstar chain, no branding stamping.

I discovered it when the chain dropped under light pedaling.
Thought "geeze, that thing wasn't loose enough to do that...
let's take a look..." * and there it was. *Not quite as nasty as
the pic bc at that point I figured maybe I could nurse it home
with really light pedaling... but no-go and the pic shows it
after it dropped the second time.

Yeah, the chain overall is pretty nasty - but that's bc I ran out
of ProLink a few months ago and got the bright idea of lubing it
with motor oil. * Live and learn....

This chain not unduly worn per the Rohloff chain gauge I put on
it and it has never seen a chain tool... ever.

It was on my SS, so there was no possibility of it's having been
weakened by a der crash and the rear cog is far enough away from
the stay that there's no possibility of it having been wedged.

I've got a theory, but don't want to pollute the answer space
yet.
--
Pete Cresswell

Old February 11th 12, 02:44 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
(PeteCresswell)

Per Ronko:
Brand of chain?

SRAM. PC-48 or PC-850, didn't notice which.
--
Pete Cresswell
Old February 13th 12, 03:21 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Dark Helmet

On Mon, 06 Feb 2012 12:16:04 -0500, Ron Hardin
wrote:

A flaw in the original chain.

Lack of lube and cleaning wears the pins leading to chain stretch, not the side
plates.

I never lube mine unless it's gotten wet, in which case it's wd40 followed by
3-in-1, but any oil works. Typically they last until it's necessary to replace
the chainwheel and cogs, and then I replace them all.

A hardly-oiled chain gets less dirty, for what that's worth.

All I could think was: That is one DISGUSTING chain. CLEAN that
puppy! Well, maybe not that one, but it's replacement.
Old February 13th 12, 01:45 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
[email protected][_2_]

On Feb 6, 8:19*am, kolldata wrote:
1 *)solar wind

2) dirt

3) lack of correct maintenance

i agree with choice 1.
Old February 13th 12, 03:07 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
(PeteCresswell)

Per Dark Helmet:

All I could think was: That is one DISGUSTING chain. CLEAN that
puppy! Well, maybe not that one, but it's replacement.

Yeah, that was my reaction too. I just trashed it - figuring if
one link could go others were suspect.

It shows what happens when one uses motor oil to lube a chain.

I usually use ProLink - and my other chains stay reasonably clean
and can be cleaned up even more just with a shop rag.
--
Pete Cresswell
Old February 13th 12, 07:06 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
ian field

wrote in message
On Feb 6, 8:19 am, kolldata wrote:
1 )solar wind

2) dirt

3) lack of correct maintenance

i agree with choice 1.

........directed by malevolent aliens.

Old February 14th 12, 01:22 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
ian field

"Phil W Lee" wrote in message
news
"(PeteCresswell)" considered Mon, 13 Feb 2012 10:07:15
-0500 the perfect time to write:

Per Dark Helmet:

All I could think was: That is one DISGUSTING chain. CLEAN that
puppy! Well, maybe not that one, but it's replacement.

Yeah, that was my reaction too. I just trashed it - figuring if
one link could go others were suspect.

It shows what happens when one uses motor oil to lube a chain.

I usually use ProLink - and my other chains stay reasonably clean
and can be cleaned up even more just with a shop rag.

There's nothing wrong with motor oil, provided you use it as the maker
intended - warmed to 90°C, circulated with a pump in a closed circuit
within a protected environment, and run through a filter regularly.

IWHT gear oil with its high film strength might be a better choice - the
additives for large temperature range and combustion products in engine oil
are largely irrelevant for chain use.

Old February 14th 12, 03:36 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
ian field

"Phil W Lee" wrote in message
"Ian Field" considered Tue, 14 Feb
2012 13:22:59 -0000 the perfect time to write:

"Phil W Lee" wrote in message
[...]

Indeed.
The makers of the "scottoiler" recommend that if their own proprietary
oil is not available, gear oil is a valid substitute - EP90, iirc.
It does make for a messy chain though.

Apparently the principle of the Scottoiler is that excess oil is flung off
the chain at speed - taking the crud with it.

Old February 14th 12, 10:17 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
ian field

"Phil W Lee" wrote in message
"Ian Field" considered Tue, 14 Feb
2012 15:36:50 -0000 the perfect time to write:

. ..

"Phil W Lee" wrote in message
[...]

And over everything else in the vicinity. There's a fine line between
enough flow and too much, and it's a system best described as
"external splash", to borrow a phrase from LJK Setright.

I prefer to think of it as rust prevention.

Old February 14th 12, 10:29 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
(PeteCresswell)

Per Ian Field:
And over everything else in the vicinity. There's a fine line between
enough flow and too much, and it's a system best described as
"external splash", to borrow a phrase from LJK Setright.

I prefer to think of it as rust prevention.

British Rust Proofing: Oil Seals.
--
Pete Cresswell