Wow! Share the Road PSA!

Old March 22nd 06, 10:52 PM posted to rec.bicycles.misc

Default Wow! Share the Road PSA!

Had to turn cager Monday morning, but it wasn't all bad. As I headed
off to work the car radio played a PSA that used the phrase "share the
road." It went on to point out that under a newly passed Utah law, cars
are required to slow down when passing a bike and give it it three feet of
clearance (Thank you Josie Johnson, may you rest in peace). And, it
added, bicyclists are required to obey all traffic laws, including (gasp!)
riding on the right side of the road.
I know it's just one drop of water in the desert of driving and cycling
ignorance, and it ran at 4:45 a.m., but it was still nice to hear it.

Bill

PPPP L EEEEE A SSSS EEEEE PLEASE
P P L E A A S E DON?T
PPPP L EEE AAAAA SSS EEE FEED
P L E A A S E THE
P LLLLL EEEEE A A SSSS EEEEE TROLLS ...PLEASE!
Old March 23rd 06, 08:10 AM posted to rec.bicycles.misc

I have mixed feelings about all these laws on the books. Wouldn't it
be better to get some prime time publicity with a cyclist on the air,
talking about "Sharing the Road", than passing some Legislation that
nobody will pay attention to.
Jim Gagnepain
http://home.comcast.net/~oil_free_and_happy/

Old March 23rd 06, 09:36 PM posted to rec.bicycles.misc

I'd rather have a bicyclists OWN the Road psa.

Wayne

Old March 23rd 06, 10:02 PM posted to rec.bicycles.misc

Wayne Pein wrote:
I'd rather have a bicyclists OWN the Road psa.

And how's this make you any different then the cagers that think they
own the road?
Old March 24th 06, 12:02 AM posted to rec.bicycles.misc

In article ,
Rich writes:
Wayne Pein wrote:
I'd rather have a bicyclists OWN the Road psa.

And how's this make you any different then the cagers that think they
own the road?

Maybe it doesn't.

Maybe that's the point.

cheers,
Tom

--
-- Nothing is safe from me.
Above address is just a spam midden.
Old March 24th 06, 01:02 AM posted to rec.bicycles.misc

Rich wrote:
Wayne Pein wrote:
I'd rather have a bicyclists OWN the Road psa.

And how's this make you any different then the cagers that think they
own the road?

2 tons.

Old March 24th 06, 03:01 AM posted to rec.bicycles.misc

landotter wrote:
Rich wrote:

Wayne Pein wrote:

I'd rather have a bicyclists OWN the Road psa.

And how's this make you any different then the cagers that think they
own the road?

2 tons.

OT... this is a true pedestrian vs obnoxious cager story.

A couple of weeks ago I was walking home when I crossed a street at the
pedestrian signal. However, that signal changes really fast, so I
hurried and it had changed to the flashing red hand. Just before I got
to the curb, I was nearly clipped by this impatient driver who couldn't
wait another second to turn right. I yelled at him sometihng like YOU
IDIOT! I continued walking and then heard a voice behind me. "Excuse
me! Do you know what that signal is for??" I turned around and the
driver, a guy in his late 50s or therabouts, had gotten OUT OF HIS CAR,
while other cars waited behind him, honking and yelling. I coudln't
believe it! He yelled at me again, "Do you know what that signal is
for???" Yeah, it's the signal to run over pedestrians... anywyas, i just
shook my head in disbelief and walked on. Obviously he's wack. I heard
him yell something else but couldn't make out what it was. When i turned
around, I saw him standing next to one of the cars that he'd blocked,
arguing with the driver and other drivers were furiously going around him.

What a lunatic! I know the signal had changed but that doesn't mean you
should run me over like a squished squirrel. He's ****ed because I
didn't let him run over me... What if I'd been a woman pushing a baby
carriage or an old lady? I hate to imagine. Actually, an old lady was
injured at an intersection not too far from here- the guy kept going and
they found his car, though.

Old March 24th 06, 04:05 AM posted to rec.bicycles.misc

Marlene Blanshay wrote:

... I hurried and it had changed to the flashing red hand. Just before I [walked]
to the curb, I was nearly clipped by this impatient driver who couldn't
wait another second to turn right. ... I turned around and the
driver, a guy in his late 50s or therabouts, had gotten OUT OF HIS CAR,
while other cars waited behind him, honking and yelling. I coudln't
believe it! He yelled at me again, "Do you know what that signal is
for???" Yeah, it's the signal to run over pedestrians...

As long as we're off-topic: A few months ago, I started walking across
a street at the edge of the university campus, going with the green
"walk" light. An impatient ditz was wanting to turn left, and when her
light went green (simultaneously with my "walk" signal) she blasted
forward straight toward me. It may have been foolish, but rather than
jump out of her way, I stopped in front of her as she slammed on the
brakes. I just shook my head at her, in wonderment at her stupidity,
then started walking again.

She roared past as soon as she could, literally missing me by inches...

.... but not my briefcase. I swung it at her car as she skimmed past,
hitting the left rear fender.

She squealed to a stop and began screaming at me. But the guy in the
car behind her rolled down his window and said to me "you were
absolutely right. There's even a sign that says 'Yield to
pedestrians.'"

So, not everyone in a tin box is irresponsible. Just some of them.

- Frank Krygowski

Old March 24th 06, 05:23 AM posted to rec.bicycles.misc

wrote:
Marlene Blanshay wrote:

[...]

I remember once I saw this ditz go through a stop sign. SHe barely even
slowed down and then turned right. Her window was open and as I crossed
the street, I called out, "DId you even look at the stop sign before you
went through it?" She just looked at me as if I'd puked.

Can you safely share the road on a Trike? stratrider Recumbent Biking 25 November 22nd 04 01:19 AM
Sierra Nevada - Tioga/Sonora Pass [email protected] Rides 1 November 3rd 03 07:52 AM
FAQ Just zis Guy, you know? UK 27 September 5th 03 10:58 PM
Share The Road Ray Heindl General 2 July 16th 03 03:57 AM