I broke a rear axle.

Old October 10th 08, 04:21 AM posted to aus.bicycle
Thomas Houseman[_2_]

Default I broke a rear axle.

No idea how... I was riding along and suddenly thought my brakes were
playing up/rubbing.
After further investigation I determined the tyre was rubbing on the left
frame of the bike.
I thought maybe the wheel nuts have come loose, but noooo....
I carefully ride/scooter/hobble the bike to the local bike shop and they
investigate and at first thought I'd broken the rear cog/gear clustery
thingo... but no I told them I could pedal/freewheel//ride it still even if
it was clunky/wobbly.
Upon further investigation they determined I'd broken the axle.

Has anyone here ever broken an axle before? I assume it's quite rare?

T.

Old October 10th 08, 05:44 AM posted to aus.bicycle
theo

On Oct 10, 11:21*am, "Thomas Houseman"
wrote:
No idea how... *I was riding along and suddenly thought my brakes were
playing up/rubbing.
After further investigation I determined the tyre was rubbing on the left
frame of the bike.
I thought maybe the wheel nuts have come loose, but noooo....
I carefully ride/scooter/hobble the bike to the local bike shop and they
investigate and at first thought I'd broken the rear cog/gear clustery
thingo... but no I told them I could pedal/freewheel//ride it still even if
it was clunky/wobbly.
Upon further investigation they determined I'd broken the axle.

Has anyone here ever broken an axle before? *I assume it's quite rare?

Yes, I've broken a rear axle. It was a dark and stormy night... and a
huge pothole. Only break in 100,000 kms.

Theo
Old October 10th 08, 08:54 AM posted to aus.bicycle
Ray

"Thomas Houseman" wrote in
:

No idea how... I was riding along and suddenly thought my brakes were
playing up/rubbing.
After further investigation I determined the tyre was rubbing on the
left frame of the bike.
I thought maybe the wheel nuts have come loose, but noooo....
I carefully ride/scooter/hobble the bike to the local bike shop and
they investigate and at first thought I'd broken the rear cog/gear
clustery thingo... but no I told them I could pedal/freewheel//ride it
still even if it was clunky/wobbly.
Upon further investigation they determined I'd broken the axle.

Has anyone here ever broken an axle before? I assume it's quite rare?

T.

Yup, twice with a screw on cluster.

Now use a cassette cluster hub and had no problems since.

A screw on has quite a long distance from the frame to the bearing inside
the cluster allowing the axle to flex and ultimately fatigue and snap.

Actually I also broke one way back when I was a teenager too, so that makes
3.
Old October 10th 08, 11:52 AM posted to aus.bicycle
Owen

wrote:
No idea how... I was riding along and suddenly thought my brakes were
playing up/rubbing.

snip

Upon further investigation they determined I'd broken the axle.

Has anyone here ever broken an axle before? I assume it's quite rare?

Yep, two in the last 8 years. Both on clustered wheels, non quick
release.

Both occasions within walking distance of an LBS. God knows what I
would have done out west of Woop Woop

Owen

Old October 10th 08, 03:57 PM posted to aus.bicycle
TimC

On 2008-10-10, Thomas Houseman (aka Bruce)
I thought maybe the wheel nuts have come loose, but noooo....
I carefully ride/scooter/hobble the bike to the local bike shop and they
investigate and at first thought I'd broken the rear cog/gear clustery
thingo... but no I told them I could pedal/freewheel//ride it still even if
it was clunky/wobbly.
Upon further investigation they determined I'd broken the axle.

Has anyone here ever broken an axle before? I assume it's quite rare?

Dutchie (remember him? Oh, I miss the old days) sold me a dud

It was my spare bike, which I had put quite a few kms on, but I
couldn't work out why there was a grinding noise when I sprinted until
I pulled the wheel out one day to fix a puncture, and the axle fell
out of both sides of the wheel. It was an old 5 speed, and the long
axle was prone to failure. Been going fine since though.

--
TimC
"I'm gonna show you a hill that would choke a mule."
Old October 10th 08, 04:12 PM posted to aus.bicycle
TimC

On 2008-10-10, Owen (aka Bruce)
wrote:
Upon further investigation they determined I'd broken the axle.

Has anyone here ever broken an axle before? I assume it's quite rare?

Yep, two in the last 8 years. Both on clustered wheels, non quick
release.

I just remembered that as well as my freewheel bike, my GVBR bike also
did it, I think. I think it was a cluster, but I never investigated
too closely before passing it on.

Both occasions within walking distance of an LBS. God knows what I
would have done out west of Woop Woop

Actually, the guy has sold his Woop Woop cafe now, because he couldn't
pay the bills. "much like the local hospital".

--
TimC
Sign on door of computing lecturer: "If your project is 90% right,
Old October 11th 08, 01:01 AM posted to aus.bicycle
Bleve

On Oct 10, 2:21*pm, "Thomas Houseman"
wrote:
No idea how... *I was riding along and suddenly thought my brakes were
playing up/rubbing.
After further investigation I determined the tyre was rubbing on the left
frame of the bike.
I thought maybe the wheel nuts have come loose, but noooo....
I carefully ride/scooter/hobble the bike to the local bike shop and they
investigate and at first thought I'd broken the rear cog/gear clustery
thingo... but no I told them I could pedal/freewheel//ride it still even if
it was clunky/wobbly.
Upon further investigation they determined I'd broken the axle.

Has anyone here ever broken an axle before? *I assume it's quite rare?

T.

It's reasonably common with the older (and cheap bikes still have it)
spin on gears, modern cassette systems have a much more robust
design. Shimano 8 speed mtb/hybrid stuff for example, is still prone
to this failure.

Old October 24th 08, 03:10 PM posted to aus.bicycle
Krypsis

Ray wrote:
"Thomas Houseman" wrote in
:

[...]

Incorrectly heat treated steel would be rather prone to breakage. A tad
too hard and it becomes very brittle. Used to be a problem back in my
younger days when all we could afford were cheapie axles made god knows
where.
The parallel to this these days is the cheap tools you can buy that are
made in China. Quality control is dreadful and you can buy two otherwise
identical tools from the same bin/batch, one will be perfect, the other
too soft or too hard. Inconsistency of quality is, and will continue to
be, the greatest bugbear facing China into the future. Given that nearly
everything seems to be made there these days, that bugbear will affect
all of us one way or the other.

Krypsis

There are three ways to do a job:
good, cheap, and quick.
You can have any two.
A good, cheap job won't be quick.
A good, quick job won't be cheap.
A cheap, quick job won't be good.
Old October 24th 08, 11:10 PM posted to aus.bicycle
John Pitts[_2_]

On 2008-10-10, Thomas Houseman wrote:
No idea how... I was riding along and suddenly thought my brakes were
playing up/rubbing.
After further investigation I determined the tyre was rubbing on the left
frame of the bike.
I thought maybe the wheel nuts have come loose, but noooo....
I carefully ride/scooter/hobble the bike to the local bike shop and they
investigate and at first thought I'd broken the rear cog/gear clustery
thingo... but no I told them I could pedal/freewheel//ride it still even if
it was clunky/wobbly.
Upon further investigation they determined I'd broken the axle.

Has anyone here ever broken an axle before? I assume it's quite rare?

Happened to me a couple of days ago, riding home from work. Starting
off from a stop sign, uphill in a too-big gear, I heard a loud "clunk"
from the back wheel, and noticed the handling had got a bit wobbly.
Brakes were rubbing and gear changes a bit iffy. I stopped, and the
back wheel was wobbling back and forth as if the cones were very loose.

The bike was still rideable, and I was only a few km from home, so I
nursed it the rest of the way back. Removing the rear wheel confirmed
that the axle had snapped.

LBS didn't have the right kind of axle, but they did have a replacement
wheel (cheap 26" MTB). They swapped the tyre and gear cluster over to
the new wheel while I waited and didn't charge for labour.

The bike has over 10000km on it, so fatigue (mentioned elsewhere in the
thread) could well be the cause.

--
John
Roses are #FF0000 Violets are #0000FF chown -R you ~/base