Recent fatal crash at UCLA

Old September 12th 12, 09:29 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Duane[_3_]

Default Recent fatal crash at UCLA

On 09/12/2012 04:23 PM, Dan O wrote:
On Wednesday, September 12, 2012 12:25:12 PM UTC-7, Duane wrote:
On 09/12/2012 02:49 PM, Dan O wrote:

snip

http://www.retroimageapparel.com/seuss.htm

"I do not like them, Sam I Am!" :-)

snip

Guy showed up not long ago with a Boston Bruins bike jersey. Not well

received in Montreal!

This is a stupid argument though. It's like saying that you shouldn't

wear shirts because many people choose their shirts to have colors or

designs that they like. I mean clearly you must be an idiot to wear a

Bruins jersey in Montreal but otherwise...

Yeah :-)

And I was making two separate points in my two separate posts (not counting the gratuitous "incoherent" :-):

1) ("Got Logic?") - A reasonably intelligent child could see the logical fallacy in "If it looks like a duck then that must be its intention", and...

2) (the Seuss jerseys) - Intolerant sourpuss grouch (Grinch?)

Yeah, I got both of them.
Old September 12th 12, 11:07 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
James[_8_]

On 13/09/12 02:30, Frank Krygowski wrote:

Some aspects of the current "sport cyclist" garb are functional. For
example, most people who try lycra shorts feel improved comfort,
certainly over (say) riding in cutoff blue jeans. And wearing some kind
of cycling glove usually helps for long rides.

It shocked me that you would acknowledge that.

--
JS.
Old September 12th 12, 11:52 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Dan O

On Wednesday, September 12, 2012 3:07:34 PM UTC-7, James wrote:
On 13/09/12 02:30, Frank Krygowski wrote:

Some aspects of the current "sport cyclist" garb are functional. For

example, most people who try lycra shorts feel improved comfort,

certainly over (say) riding in cutoff blue jeans. And wearing some kind

of cycling glove usually helps for long rides.

It shocked me that you would acknowledge that.

Not just shorts (and "improved comfort" is seriously soft pedaling the benefit, IMO) and gloves, but jerseys and arm and knee and leg warmers (sweet modular dynamically adjustable heat regulation), and glasses and... don't even get me started on SPD.

These things and more are like night and day to my bicycling experience.

(And I kind of like the Cat in the Hat jersey, myself.)
Old September 13th 12, 12:04 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Sir Ridesalot

On Wednesday, September 12, 2012 6:52:15 PM UTC-4, Dan O wrote:
On Wednesday, September 12, 2012 3:07:34 PM UTC-7, James wrote:

On 13/09/12 02:30, Frank Krygowski wrote:

Some aspects of the current "sport cyclist" garb are functional. For

example, most people who try lycra shorts feel improved comfort,

certainly over (say) riding in cutoff blue jeans. And wearing some kind

of cycling glove usually helps for long rides.

It shocked me that you would acknowledge that.

Not just shorts (and "improved comfort" is seriously soft pedaling the benefit, IMO) and gloves, but jerseys and arm and knee and leg warmers (sweet modular dynamically adjustable heat regulation), and glasses and... don't even get me started on SPD.

These things and more are like night and day to my bicycling experience.

(And I kind of like the Cat in the Hat jersey, myself.)

Interestingly enough I just read a number of articles over on the Rivendell site and it seems that Grant doesn't like clipless pedals, bicycling specific shoes, synthetic bicycling clothes, helmets, aluminium alloy or carbon fibre frames, integrsted brake/sjfting levers, 9 or 10 or 11 speed gear clusters or tires less than 30 mm. He only builds steel lugged framesets.

I guess there are a lot of other people who, like Frank, prefer equipment of a mid 1980's or earlier flair to it.

Cheers
Old September 13th 12, 12:05 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Frank Krygowski[_3_]

James wrote:
On 13/09/12 02:30, Frank Krygowski wrote:

Some aspects of the current "sport cyclist" garb are functional. For
example, most people who try lycra shorts feel improved comfort,
certainly over (say) riding in cutoff blue jeans. And wearing some kind
of cycling glove usually helps for long rides.

It shocked me that you would acknowledge that.

Then you've got a very distorted idea of my views. I've used lycra
shorts (for most long rides, anyway) since at least 1980. I've used
riding gloves for an even longer time; but again, only for long rides.

--
- Frank Krygowski
Old September 13th 12, 12:06 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
James[_8_]

On 13/09/12 08:52, Dan O wrote:
On Wednesday, September 12, 2012 3:07:34 PM UTC-7, James wrote:
On 13/09/12 02:30, Frank Krygowski wrote:

Some aspects of the current "sport cyclist" garb are functional.
For

example, most people who try lycra shorts feel improved comfort,

certainly over (say) riding in cutoff blue jeans. And wearing
some kind

of cycling glove usually helps for long rides.

It shocked me that you would acknowledge that.

Not just shorts (and "improved comfort" is seriously soft pedaling
the benefit, IMO) and gloves, but jerseys and arm and knee and leg
warmers (sweet modular dynamically adjustable heat regulation), and
glasses and... don't even get me started on SPD.

These things and more are like night and day to my bicycling
experience.

(And I kind of like the Cat in the Hat jersey, myself.)

Easy - one step at a time for Frank ;-)

What you said, and I like the modern jerseys that have a zipper all the
way, and wind stoppers with detachable arms. Also neoprene shoe covers
in cold wet weather.

--
JS.
Old September 13th 12, 12:08 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Sir Ridesalot

On Wednesday, September 12, 2012 7:01:56 PM UTC-4, Frank Krygowski wrote:
James wrote:

On 13/09/12 02:30, Frank Krygowski wrote:

Some aspects of the current "sport cyclist" garb are functional. For

example, most people who try lycra shorts feel improved comfort,

certainly over (say) riding in cutoff blue jeans. And wearing some kind

of cycling glove usually helps for long rides.

It shocked me that you would acknowledge that.

Then you've got a very distorted idea of my views. I've used lycra

shorts (for most long rides, anyway) since at least 1980. I've used

riding gloves for an even longer time; but again, only for long rides.

--

- Frank Krygowski

Frank, just curious as to what you consider a long ride to be?Long ride means a lot of different things to lot of people. I know many who cosider 25 kilometres (15 miles) to be a really long ride and others who think 100 kilometres (60 miles) is a nice ride.

Cheers
Old September 13th 12, 12:46 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

On Sep 9, 10:44*pm, wrote:
On Sunday, September 9, 2012 6:51:47 PM UTC-4, James wrote:
On 09/09/12 02:18, Frank Krygowski wrote:

John B. wrote:

Of course the recreational riders are also wearing the jersey with the

logo and the tight pants with the bulger and the special shoes and the

special glasses and the special bicycle hat, so the helmet and

accompaniments might be simply a fashion statement rather then thought

of as protection.

I suspect that if the road racing pros were suddenly given permission to

ride with the same headgear they used for 100 years (i.e. if the back

room deals were voided), most would soon be without styrofoam.

And soon enough, all those recreational riders imitating professional

clothing choices would turn on a dime, and argue vociferously about why

they don't need head protection.

:-) You know pros who've used headgear for 100 years?

Helmets are not compulsory in many European countries.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bicycle...aws_by_country

Right. *Especially for adults, the nonsense of MHLs is almost entirely confined to your country and New Zealand. *(I hear that enforcement is finally dropping off, though. *AFAIK, no kids jailed recently, for example.)

How many photos of pros training in Europe can you find, who are not
wearing a helmet?

:-) About the same number that show pros training wearing khaki slacks. *Once the stylish uniform is codified, one doesn't violate the style!

Actually, for a pro, it makes sense to train wearing what the regulations force you to wear. *For the wannabee pros, I guess it makes sense to wear what your heroes wear. *Kind of like a kid wearing a Batman costume.

I'm kind of glad I poked through this pile, even if I read this a day
or so "late".

What was that you said about *someone else* running their posts by a
therapist, Frank?

Whew. I see professional people, for the better part, who are well-
grounded in life to succeed in the real world in regard to careers and
remuneration. Many, if not "most" are parents, as well. They balance
"day jobs" (professional careers) and family responsibilities with
training sufficient to ride like this in a weeknight race series:

finale:http://vimeo.com/43794778 (skip ahead if it seems too slow
for you with three to go)

while racing (and otherwise participating) in a popular, demanding
recreational sport. I mean, contrast these guys with the average
softball team, and for that matter, lots of pro baseball players, for
basic fitness and conditioning level. That's pretty much a year-round
lifestyle choice when it comes to keeping fit and racing during our
(Austin TX) extended riding/racing season, which basically might not
ever actually stop except maybe for Christmas/New Year's holidays.
Pretty serious stuff: for those who take it seriously and wish to
participate at a high level, the racing season never ends.

I heard the III pack at The Driveway had 100 entrants last week; last
week's finishers list named seven different events. Some have only a
minimum number of entrants but the basic Senior classes regularly meet
field limits (60-100 riders) from what I understand. Last week, there
were 236 registered entrants total for all events, with some
"doublers" in there. That's just the Thursday Night amateur series,
there's other bike riding going on around here, and let's not forget,
by any means, those many who don't race but who ride for fitness and
enjoyment. Hundreds and hundreds of people, young and old, are out
there enjoying the sport at one level or another, and very few
"wannabes" (as Frank would have them) or Batman costumes are out
there, at all, in my experience.

On that score, we have had some professional riders who live at least
part-time and/or train here in town, and many more who have visited
over the years. To the point, if anyone has any "wannabe" in them,
there are yardsticks aplenty and they have always been readily
available for use.

OK, that's what I see. Frank Krygowsky sees looney-tune idiots in
Batman costumes who don't know any better than to waste money on
expensive bikes and equipment Frank Krygowsky doesn't like because
"that stuff is too expensive", fruitcakes who are deluded into
thinking that if they spend enough money on their equipment, they too
can be "heroes" in the pro peloton.

OK, Frank, I hope I brought you up short here-- freely admitting, your
nasty insults directed toward your betters do bother me enough, from
time to time, that I feel inspired to respond.

There are many who know more than you do, and do better than you do.
Sour apples, Frank Krygowsky.

Go ride your bike as you will and try to have some fun, it might do
your attitude some good.

No charge for this consultation. (You'll just have to forgive me this
one intended dig)
--D-y

PS You're correct about one thing, anyhow: I, and many, many other
riders (racers) of many different ability levels figured out, some of
us a fair number of years ago, that it would be a good idea to train
using the same gear you race with, in general (being used to how your
bike handles in emergency situations, for instance) and specifically
relating to thermal considerations IRT helmets-- of course, in modern
times, that's not the problem it once was with the old non-
(really)vented helmets of yesteryear.
Old September 13th 12, 12:46 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
James[_8_]

On 13/09/12 09:05, Frank Krygowski wrote:
James wrote:
On 13/09/12 02:30, Frank Krygowski wrote:

Some aspects of the current "sport cyclist" garb are functional. For
example, most people who try lycra shorts feel improved comfort,
certainly over (say) riding in cutoff blue jeans. And wearing some kind
of cycling glove usually helps for long rides.

It shocked me that you would acknowledge that.

Then you've got a very distorted idea of my views. I've used lycra
shorts (for most long rides, anyway) since at least 1980. I've used
riding gloves for an even longer time; but again, only for long rides.

Post a link to a picture, to correct my view.

--
JS.
Old September 13th 12, 01:08 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Kerry Montgomery

"Dan O" wrote in message
On Wednesday, September 12, 2012 3:07:34 PM UTC-7, James wrote:
On 13/09/12 02:30, Frank Krygowski wrote:

Some aspects of the current "sport cyclist" garb are functional. For

example, most people who try lycra shorts feel improved comfort,

certainly over (say) riding in cutoff blue jeans. And wearing some kind

of cycling glove usually helps for long rides.

It shocked me that you would acknowledge that.

Not just shorts (and "improved comfort" is seriously soft pedaling the
benefit, IMO) and gloves, but jerseys and arm and knee and leg warmers
(sweet modular dynamically adjustable heat regulation), and glasses and...
don't even get me started on SPD.

These things and more are like night and day to my bicycling experience.

(And I kind of like the Cat in the Hat jersey, myself.)

I liked this one enough to buy it. Don't know what the guys in full team kit
think of it.
http://www.elevengear.us/poseur.html
Kerry

Cops: Cervelo bike defect likely caused fatal Rehoboth crash raamman Techniques 1 April 12th 12 03:31 PM
Bail refused over fatal Christmas Eve crash phillip brown Australia 1 January 12th 09 12:50 PM
Recent major crash photo? diego Racing 4 September 6th 07 10:57 PM
Gerhard Biscotti wants to tap UCLA co-eds. crit PRO Racing 0 March 28th 05 09:00 PM
Mountain lion victim undergoes surgery at UCLA Garrison Hilliard General 2 June 30th 04 02:23 PM