A not so great biking day.....(kinda long)

Old May 29th 04, 05:26 PM
Roger Zoul

Default A not so great biking day.....(kinda long)

Well, Thursday I had cleats put in my shoes and I switched over to clipless
pedals.

I spent an hour or more on the trainer at the LBS getting used to locking
in/out. The hot lady who works there adjusted the tension so that they were
pretty easy to lock in/out -- which seemd to be what I needed at the time.
I got home, moved the bike out of the garage, locked in the left foot, then
nearly fell to my left. I managed to catch myself. I got on the bike and
rode around my small subdivision a bit while practicing locking in / locking
out.. No real problems until once I got to a stop while a car was going
by...I felt unsure....

So yesterday I did about 6 miles around my neighborhood, hitting a few hard
hills. Practiced locking in / locking out while riding -- over and over.
Didn't really stop, though. No problems. I found that working the cleats
in / out of the pedals on a real bike ride is much easier than doing so on a
trainer. I felt good about it...

That brings the story to today, my first real day of bicycling shame, I
might add. I was planning to do 45 to 50 miles, depending on how I felt.
So, I left out at first light, got through the first red light fine -- had
to stop...locked out right foot...no problems...Got to the place where I
meet my riding buddy about 4 miles from my house -- he's there ready and
waiting....so I lock out my right foot...sort coast up to him to chat a bit.
Get my right foot to the ground. Bamn! Fell to the left (while talking to
him) while left foot is locked in (Pat suggested I lock out both feet but I
forgot)...there was a slight incline near the road edge so that my right
side was lower then my left...on the fall I twisted the saddle, and knocked
off some of the seat material -- I guess a new saddle is in my distant
future. Messed up the rear brakes enough that the rear tire didn't roll
freely. Fixed all of that...

Everything was great for the next 16 miles or so, in fact, it seemed like my
speed was up, though I was pushing it a bit since I had birthday cake last
night and wanted to burn it off....at mile 20...I was coming to a stop to
meet my riding buddy, who got there ahead of me (he weighs 60 lbs less than
I do)...so this time I lock out both feet as I only had maybe 30 yards to go
to stop....Bamn! Fell to the right. Turns out, my right foot had locked
back in and I didn't even know it! That was really embarrassing as I was
talking to him and we both knew the moment I was going down. It all happens
in slow motion it seems, even though once you start to go you can't do much
about it. Glad I had my helmet on as my head hit the pavement. Talk about
the inverted pendulum problem.

Anywho...at about 25 miles out along the route, I hear this noise....had
popped a spoke on the rear wheel. Dang -- I just had popped a spoke on
tuesday on that same wheel and had to have it trued. Well, there I was with
the wheel out of true again. I could do nothing to get the spoke back in.
Some out-of-town cyclist came by to offer a hand...he was training for an
Ironman event in Florida (we're in SC)...there was nothing he could do so he
wished my a good walk home...I was looking at about 11 miles....not too bad
but at 3 mph with a bike I was not looking forward to it. My buddy was
nowhere to be seen although he was to wait for me at a certain point on the
route since he didn't know where we were going today beyond that point...so
I released the rear brake and tried to ride with the wheel out of true...it
all seemed to be working, so I made a U-turn in the middle of the road to
head for the meet point. But, alas, the rear wheel hung and --- what do you
know --- bamn! I was on the friggin pavement again! This time I felt a bit
defeated. So I just started hoofing it home. Luckily, after about 4 miles
a kindly old fellow and his wife stopped to ask how far of I walk I had...I
told them 9 miles...I did the math wrong..it was only about 7 miles...but
anyway, the fellow was cyclist...81 years old...had a bike rack on his other
car....so he went home and came back, hitched up my bike, and drove me
home....finally (after calling my riding buddies to see if he made it back),
I hurried to the LBS where the hot lady (who sold me my bike) managed to
rush my bike back so I can get it back by 3pm (hopefully, that was nice of
her to try, huh?). I discovered that my left palm is all swollen, too. Must
be from one of those falls....

Comments on how to avoid any more spills and what to do with a popped spoke
and an untrued wheel on a ride would be much appreciated. Somehow, I feel a
bit unsure if myself now....damn!

Old May 29th 04, 05:47 PM
S o r n i

Roger Zoul wrote: {it /is/ kinda long but very entertaining...for us!}

[...]

Some day you'll look back on this and laugh. {Pause for cursing to
commence.}

Sorry you had such a rough time of it out there; at least no serious injury
or bike damage.

Sounds like you'll get the hang of the clipless thing pretty soon (pain is a
great motivator in that regard). As for the wheel, it's possible you
damaged the spoke in the falls and close calls, but you may want to consider
having it rebuilt anyway since you'd broken a different spoke quite
recently. Ask the LBS?

Some people carry those kevlar (?) emergency spokes, but I would have done
what you did (open brakes and try to ride -- maybe even remove them if
necessary -- possibly trying to true the wheel, too, although I'd be afraid
that I'd screw up the spoke tension too much).

One last thought about the pedals/cleats: check your shoes to make sure no
rubber sole material is interfering with engagement (and more imp.
DISengagement!); and tighten the screws to ensure no cleat movement (sure
death!).

Bill "was planning a ride but maybe yoga safer?!?" S.

Old May 29th 04, 05:58 PM
R15757

Roger Zoul wrote in part:

... Bamn! Fell to the right. Turns out, my right foot had locked
back in and I didn't even know it! ...

Those inadvertent clip-ins are the worst. We've all been there.

That cleat-related floundering will be a thing of the past before too long.
More worrisome is the fact that your spokes keep breaking. That should not be a
regular occurrence. Probably you have a poorly-built wheel or a wheel that is
simply not built to handle the girth. What kind of wheel are you riding?

If you pop a spoke on a ride, it should be possible to straighten the wheel
enough so it clears the stays by adjusting adjacent spokes with a spoke wrench.
Maybe the hot chick at the LBS could show you how...

Robert
Old May 29th 04, 06:40 PM
Roger Zoul

S o r n i wrote:
:: Roger Zoul wrote: {it /is/ kinda long but very entertaining...for
:: us!}
::
::: Well, Thursday I had cleats put in my shoes and I switched over to
::: clipless pedals.
:::
[...]

I'm already laughing, to be honest. Everytime I think about it just make it
that much funnier.

::
:: Sorry you had such a rough time of it out there; at least no serious
:: injury or bike damage.
::
:: Sounds like you'll get the hang of the clipless thing pretty soon
:: (pain is a great motivator in that regard). As for the wheel, it's
:: possible you damaged the spoke in the falls and close calls, but you
:: may want to consider having it rebuilt anyway since you'd broken a
:: different spoke quite recently. Ask the LBS?

I'm going to see them at 3pm, so I'll ask.

::
:: Some people carry those kevlar (?) emergency spokes, but I would
:: have done what you did (open brakes and try to ride -- maybe even
:: remove them if necessary -- possibly trying to true the wheel, too,
:: although I'd be afraid that I'd screw up the spoke tension too much).

I'm going to study up on this....luckily I bought a book on bicycle
machanics plus visit those websites. Learning to care for my own bike can't
hurt, and certainly learning what i can do to be able to ride home is really
important!

::
:: One last thought about the pedals/cleats: check your shoes to make
:: sure no rubber sole material is interfering with engagement (and
:: more imp. DISengagement!); and tighten the screws to ensure no cleat
:: movement (sure death!).

So far, movement hasn't been a problem. I think part of what happened today
is that I was talking to my riding buddy when I should have been paying more
attention to getting unlocked! And in that U-turn I didn't have much speed
and I think I had a reflex action of jerking into the turn. I should have
turned while locking out. While I think I can get in and out with relative
ease, doing so is still something that I have to think about. But I'll
check the cleats anyway, and the lady at the LBS wants me to bring the
shoes, so she probably wants to adjust them.

::
:: Bill "was planning a ride but maybe yoga safer?!?" S.

Some of those yoga movements can get you in trouble! Thanks.

Old May 29th 04, 06:55 PM
dirtylitterboxofferingstospammers

Comments on how to avoid any more spills

Honest - in a short space of time, clipping in and out will become second
nature. Really. In the meantime you just have to *concentrate* on unclipping
anytime you think there's a remote possibility you have to stop. If you are
cycling with another - get the other person to say "Unclip!" to you as you
approach a situation where you may need to unclip - worked for me - I had
husband and son shouting "UNCLIP!!" at me for a good while. Definitely made me
feel like an idiot, but it worked at drilling into me the need to unclip
*before* stopping :-)

Cheers, helen s

**$om $

Old May 29th 04, 06:57 PM
Roger Zoul

R15757 wrote:
:: Roger Zoul wrote in part:
::
:: ... Bamn! Fell to the right. Turns out, my right foot had locked
:: back in and I didn't even know it! ...
::
:: Those inadvertent clip-ins are the worst. We've all been there.
::

Believe it or not, that makes me feel better!

:: That cleat-related floundering will be a thing of the past before
:: too long. More worrisome is the fact that your spokes keep breaking.
:: That should not be a regular occurrence. Probably you have a
:: poorly-built wheel or a wheel that is simply not built to handle the
:: girth. What kind of wheel are you riding?

I bought this bike in September 2003. I only had 200 miles or so up until
April 17. Since then, I've put on 600 miles. My wheel is a Specialized
"Rolf design 700c twin spoke design high performance wheel set", whatever
that means.

http://www.specialized.com/SBCBkMode...t snk7.j27002

My tendency is to blame it on my weight -- I'm 235 to 240 or so.
::
:: If you pop a spoke on a ride, it should be possible to straighten
:: the wheel enough so it clears the stays by adjusting adjacent spokes
:: with a spoke wrench. Maybe the hot chick at the LBS could show you
:: how...

Plus, maybe they'll sell me a spoke wrench, too. I'll see her at 3pm. I
don't really understand how the spokes work to keep the wheel straight, so
I'll be reading up on that. Thank.

Old May 29th 04, 07:14 PM
Roger Zoul

::: Comments on how to avoid any more spills
::
:: Honest - in a short space of time, clipping in and out will become
:: second nature. Really. In the meantime you just have to
:: *concentrate* on unclipping anytime you think there's a remote
:: possibility you have to stop. If you are cycling with another - get
:: the other person to say "Unclip!" to you as you approach a situation
:: where you may need to unclip - worked for me - I had husband and son
:: shouting "UNCLIP!!" at me for a good while. Definitely made me feel
:: like an idiot, but it worked at drilling into me the need to unclip
:: *before* stopping :-)
::
:: Cheers, helen s

Good idea, Helen. Thanks.

Old May 29th 04, 07:52 PM
R15757

Roger Zoul wrote in part:

I bought this bike in September 2003. I only had 200 miles or so up until
April 17. Since then, I've put on 600 miles. My wheel is a Specialized
"Rolf design 700c twin spoke design high performance wheel set", whatever
that means.

http://www.specialized.com/SBCBkMode...sionIdroot=2a2
0htsnk7.j27002

My tendency is to blame it on my weight -- I'm 235 to 240 or so.

Peter C. or one of the other wheel gurus on .tech
would be of more help, but IMHO it sounds like the Rolf is not going to be
enough wheel for you. You might need something more conventional (like Mavic
Open Pro, Ultegra hub, 36 spokes) to get you home consistently on wheels rather
than on foot. It might also be the case that a bigger tire (28c) could solve
the problem. 28c's can be hard to find these days. The good news is if you
decide you need to ditch the Rolfs they will be worth something, or you could
keep 'em for races and such. Good luck.

Any other big guys on this NG ride Rolfs?

Robert

Old May 29th 04, 08:50 PM
Ningi

Roger Zoul wrote:
snip

Comments on how to avoid any more spills and what to do with a popped spoke
and an untrued wheel on a ride would be much appreciated. Somehow, I feel a
bit unsure if myself now....damn!

As others have mentioned, you'll get the hang of the pedals really soon.
Unclipping on one side and then falling over the other way has
caught me out as well, one way to avoid that is to hang your leg out
when you unclip to keep you leaning that side.

As to the spokes, if a wheel is built properly and tensioned correctly,
there's really no reason for spokes to break. I'd recommend getting a
new wheel handbuilt by somebody who knows what they are doing, and you
shouldn't have any problems. Once a wheel has started popping spokes,
you're fighting a losing battle to keep it true and tensioned.

Cheers

Peter

Old May 29th 04, 10:06 PM
Dan Daniel

On Sat, 29 May 2004 12:26:08 -0400, "Roger Zoul"
wrote:

Comments on how to avoid any more spills

Practice doing actual stops? Rolling and popping the cleat out is
almost too easy. You need to develop muscle memory for the actual
process- including balance and weight shifting.

Are the pedals at the absolute easiest? That's where I put them in the
beginning. Loosen the tension screw click by click until there are no
more clicks, then back in to the first click.

and what to do with a popped spoke
and an untrued wheel on a ride would be much appreciated. Somehow, I feel a
bit unsure if myself now....damn!

I'd get the wheel rebuilt first. Spokes shouldn't break in the first
place.

And you can set up your brakes so that there is room to open them up
with the screw adjuster as well as the quick release. Use the screw
adjuster as part of the final tightening. It gives you just a bit more
slop room if you need it. Or carry a 5mm allen wrench (or appropriate
wrench for your brake cable attachment system) all the time, then
readjust the cable when this happens to let you ride home.