Century - Which bike?

Old March 18th 04, 03:03 PM
ydm9

Default Century - Which bike?

Trying first century this year, should I ride the Fuji Touring or my
lighter steel framed bike?
Old March 18th 04, 03:31 PM
Doug Huffman

Most comfortable. For me a recumbent.

m...

Old March 18th 04, 03:39 PM
Terry Morse

ydm9 wrote:

Trying first century this year, should I ride the Fuji Touring or my
lighter steel framed bike?

Ride whichever one you're more comfortable on. If it's a wash, go
with the lighter one. But be sure to put some long miles on the bike
of your choice before the century. A century is no time to start
working out long distance fit/comfort problems.
Old March 18th 04, 08:25 PM
El Paisano

"ydm9" wrote in message
m...
Trying first century this year, should I ride the Fuji Touring or my
lighter steel framed bike?

Are you intending to "race" the century or just finish comfortably? How
different is your steel bike from the Fuji in terms of geometry?

Old March 19th 04, 01:30 PM
ydm9

"El Paisano" wrote in message ...
"ydm9" wrote in message
m...
Trying first century this year, should I ride the Fuji Touring or my
lighter steel framed bike?

Are you intending to "race" the century or just finish comfortably? How
different is your steel bike from the Fuji in terms of geometry?

I just want to finish. I weigh in at 250, so to finish will be the
goal. The Fuji does seem to be a little more comfortable. The other
bike is a Specialized Allez Elite steel frame. It is a few pounds
lighter with not as relaxed a geometry and I don't have a rack on it
at the moment. With me being overweight, I didn't know how much of a
difference the 8 or 9 pounds would make in bike weight. I'm leaning
toward the Fuji for comfort.
Old March 19th 04, 02:04 PM
Harris

ydm9 wrote:

I just want to finish. I weigh in at 250, so to finish will be the
goal. The Fuji does seem to be a little more comfortable. The other
bike is a Specialized Allez Elite steel frame. It is a few pounds
lighter with not as relaxed a geometry and I don't have a rack on it
at the moment. With me being overweight, I didn't know how much of a
difference the 8 or 9 pounds would make in bike weight. I'm leaning
toward the Fuji for comfort.

Tough call. Eight or nine pounds difference in bike weight is nothing to
sneeze at. Unless it's a really flat route, the lighter bike will
definitely be an advantage. But then, if you're uncomfortable for the last
25-30 miles that's not good either.

Try a few 50-60 miles on each bike and see how much difference you notice
as far as comfort and effort required.

Art Harris
Old March 20th 04, 12:19 AM
Bill McHale

Harris wrote in message ...
ydm9 wrote:

I just want to finish. I weigh in at 250, so to finish will be the
goal. The Fuji does seem to be a little more comfortable. The other
bike is a Specialized Allez Elite steel frame. It is a few pounds
lighter with not as relaxed a geometry and I don't have a rack on it
at the moment. With me being overweight, I didn't know how much of a
difference the 8 or 9 pounds would make in bike weight. I'm leaning
toward the Fuji for comfort.

Tough call. Eight or nine pounds difference in bike weight is nothing to
sneeze at. Unless it's a really flat route, the lighter bike will
definitely be an advantage. But then, if you're uncomfortable for the last
25-30 miles that's not good either.

Try a few 50-60 miles on each bike and see how much difference you notice
as far as comfort and effort required.

Well lets keep the weight in perspective. Lets say the Fuji weighs
30lbs and Apecialized weighs 22lbs... that means the bike plus the
rider will be in the 272-280lb range... and of course add a couple
liters of water (roughly 2.3 lbs each (allowing for the weight of the
bottle)and say 5 lbs for misc equipment, snacks etc you are looking at
say 282-290 lbs. Eight pounds is nothing to sneeze at but it really
only amounts to less than 3% total weight. All things considered on a
long ride the lower gearing of the touring bike might be a bigger
asset in climbing hills than a light bike for a person in mediocre
shape (like myself ). And comfort is definitely the most important
factor. I did a century on a trike and while I wasn't fast I didn't
have anything hurting at the end except my legs.... but boy did they
hurt the next day (I was not really prepared for the century... my own
fault).

--
Bill

Secure Bike Parking.? M. Barbee General 14 January 6th 04 02:00 AM
my new bike Marian Rosenberg General 5 October 19th 03 03:00 PM
Single Speed Cruiser vs. Mountain/All Terrain Bike for Commuting? Luigi de Guzman General 2 August 21st 03 05:02 PM
Best Way to Travel with a Bike on an Airplane F1 General 5 August 14th 03 10:39 PM