For those interested in a Lyotard Mod. 23 clone...

Old August 23rd 12, 02:28 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Frank Krygowski[_3_]

Default For those interested in a Lyotard Mod. 23 clone...

As we know, this won't interest certain people here. But apparently
there's enough interest elsewhere for yet another manufacturer to
produce a new version of the "revered" Lyotard Mod. 23.

http://shop.mashsf.com/products/mks-...platform-pedal

or

http://twitter.com/CityBikesCoOp/sta...391936/photo/1

Oh, and even less expensive at
http://www.universalcycles.com/shopp...s.php?id=53437

--
- Frank Krygowski
Old August 23rd 12, 05:18 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
JG

Or these:

http://www.amazon.com/Shimano-PD-A53.../dp/B001MZ2AGO
Old August 23rd 12, 12:58 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
davethedave[_2_]

On Wed, 22 Aug 2012 21:18:47 -0700, JG wrote:

Or these:

http://www.amazon.com/Shimano-PD-A53.../dp/B001MZ2AGO

These look good.

http://store.aerotechdesigns.com/meprocyshbis4.html

--
davethedave
Old August 23rd 12, 02:19 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
thirty-six

Oh, and even less expensive athttp://www.universalcycles.com/shopping/product_details.php?id=53437

--
- Frank Krygowski

I remember when I got my first pair of racing clogs, wondering about
the touring platforms. I had Sakae's SP!2 which were a semi-aero/
platform and almost worked well with my leather-soled shoes. With
cleats nailed on they probably would have been as good as any
"cycling" shoe but I didn't want cleats on my everyday shoes. The
only thing that has changed which means I am less likely to want
platforms is that I now ride easier gears. For getting up steep
hills or riding cobblestones, canal tow-paths, river-beds or pack-
horse trails I see they still have advantage.
Old August 23rd 12, 03:42 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

On Aug 22, 8:28*pm, Frank Krygowski
wrote:
As we know, this won't interest certain people here. But apparently
there's enough interest elsewhere for yet another manufacturer to
produce a new version of the "revered" Lyotard Mod. 23.

http://shop.mashsf.com/products/mks-...platform-pedal

or

http://twitter.com/CityBikesCoOp/sta...391936/photo/1

Oh, and even less expensive athttp://www.universalcycles.com/shopping/product_details.php?id=53437

--
- Frank Krygowski

Those might "interest me" if I hadn't had a pair of the highly touted
original Lyotards. I mean, they might still "interest" me if they had
the effective seal that Campagnolo pedals of the era had. The Lyotards
I had were dirt scoops in wet weather, while the 1037 Campagnolo
pedals I owned and used extensively never did "require an overhaul",
riding year-round in the GFN.
In my experience, the Campagnolo pedals were professional-grade
pedals and the Lyotards were junk. "Revere" as you will.

That's not a slam on platform pedals. To each their own, but let's
have "dependable", "low-to-no maintenance" up near the top of the list
of features, and I'm not saying the "nuovo" (!!!) examples suggested
*aren't* decent pedals. But they're certainly not good pedals in my
book if they need to be repacked with clean grease after every rain
ride as did those old Lyotards I owned and got rid of.
--D-y
Old August 23rd 12, 04:24 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
thirty-six

wrote:

[...]

i lookedover a few advertisers and sure I came across the words "
triple sealed". Anyway it looks like a one piece casting so no
worries over rattly bits.
Old August 23rd 12, 05:41 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
AMuzi

wrote:
[...]

Sure but riders have various aesthetic values too. These are
indestructible for example:

http://www.cambridgebicycle.com/asse...wood_pedal.jpg

but never sold well at all.

--
Andrew Muzi
www.yellowjersey.org/

Old August 23rd 12, 05:45 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Jay Beattie

wrote:

[...]

Campy "seals" were better than the Lyotard, but neither was that good
-- and both were light years behind the Shimano SPD seals. I remember
sitting in a camp ground in Montana rebuilding my NR pedals and
finding that the grease had been washed out after a few weeks of
touring in rain. I also found that one spindle did not have a keyway
and that it had been built with a simple flat washer rather than a
keyed washer, so I bought a new washer from Sam Braxton's shop in
Missoula and filed a keyway, greased up the bearings -- and Violet!
The grinding and snapping stopped. One good thing about the Campy
mono-culture days was the availability of replacement parts. Any
decent shop with a Campy parts box could sell you anything you needed.

The original Lyotards felt cheap -- the seals were bad, the bearings
were not very smooth and they lacked the finish and solidity of Campy
pedals, but they were a convenient and cheap pedal and particularly
good for touring in tennis shoes. I can see a lot of uses for the
repro pedal for the no cleat set, although the price is not that good,
particularly since you have to go buy clips and straps. If you don't
want clips and straps, you're better off with a BMX pedal.

-- Jay Beattie.

Old August 23rd 12, 06:04 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Jay Beattie

wrote:
[...]

And virtually not marketed. I rode with the Phil shop rats, some of
whom had the CHP pedals, and their complaints were that metal cleats
ate up the cleat ridge. If you didn't ride with a cleat, though, then
they were indestructible -- or at least warrantied for life, and ugly
for life.

-- Jay Beattie.
Old August 23rd 12, 07:47 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
landotter

On Aug 23, 11:45*am, Jay Beattie wrote:
On Aug 23, 7:42*am, " wrote:

[snip]
The original Lyotards felt cheap -- the seals were bad, the bearings
were not very smooth and they lacked the finish and solidity of Campy
pedals, but they were a convenient and cheap pedal and particularly
good for touring in tennis shoes. *I can see a lot of uses for the
repro pedal for the no cleat set, although the price is not that good,
particularly since you have to go buy clips and straps. *If you don't
want clips and straps, you're better off with a BMX pedal.

-- Jay Beattie.

A nylon bodied, less aggressively pinned, and cartridge bearing'd
priced under fifty bux would greatly please me. As it stands, I'm
tempted to turn a set of unsealed ones into something grease gun
compatible...

WTB Campy / clone BB tap set [email protected] Marketplace 2 November 8th 08 09:29 AM
Modesta's clone? Fans Racing 0 September 25th 08 07:14 PM
Rasmussen clone in yellow at PN... Keith Racing 5 March 14th 08 08:41 AM
FA: Lyotard Berthet model 23 platform pedals LioNiNoiL_a t_Y a h 0 0_d 0 t_c 0 m Marketplace 0 September 30th 04 04:16 PM
Lyotard platform pedals : how many 4mm ball-bearings Philip TAYLOR [PC87S/O-XP] UK 36 April 22nd 04 05:00 PM