Maps and. And things

Old January 17th 05, 11:51 AM
Dave Larrington

Default Maps and. And things

Those who indulge in Audax rides and similar perversions will doubtless be
aware of the need to have navigational information readily available.
"Aha!", I said. "To facilitate this, I shall buy an Ortlieb map case!" So
I did.

However, when reclined at one's ease inna-tricycular-stylee, errant gusts
of wind - either from windmills or one's own movement through the air - tend
to cause the thing to blow up into one's face. This is especially alarming
when doing 70 km/h down one of those three-ply roads which resemble a
whitewater canoe course in every aspect except colour.

So, does The Panel have any useful suggestions as to:

a) how to discipline an errant Ortlieb map wossname, or
b) otherwise carry maps and route sheets such that they may be easily
consulted on the move

???

World Domination?
Just find a world that's into that kind of thing, then chain to the floor
and walk up and down on it in high heels. (Mr. Sunshine)

Old January 17th 05, 01:31 PM
Peter Clinch

Dave Larrington wrote:

However, when reclined at one's ease inna-tricycular-stylee, errant gusts
of wind - either from windmills or one's own movement through the air - tend
to cause the thing to blow up into one's face.

Ah. This is why many experienced walkers have abandoned the popular
strangulation method of dangling the things around one's neck (plus, of
course, because it makes you look like a berk).

The case itself is still a Wondrous Thing, though, easily the best I've
seen of its type. If you can arrange for a pocket to pop it in where
you can grab it and replace it (holster on the back of the seat,
perhaps, or mesh pocket on the top of an accessible pannier) then you'll
still be able to grab it and crash amusingly while looking at where
you're meant to be going in the next hour rather than where you actually
/are/ going right now.

b) otherwise carry maps and route sheets such that they may be easily
consulted on the move

Get a Streamer or Zipper etc. and tape the map to the inside? Though I
suspect the angle of dangle may make this a Bit Bloody Awkward to read
the map.

Pete.
--
Peter Clinch Medical Physics IT Officer
Fax 44 1382 640177 Dundee DD1 9SY Scotland UK

Old January 17th 05, 02:07 PM
dkahn400

Peter Clinch wrote:

Ah. This is why many experienced walkers have abandoned the
popular strangulation method of dangling the things around one's
neck (plus, of course, because it makes you look like a berk).

Which reminds me of the days when my mate Steve got his Triumph
Bonneville 650. Under the illusion that he was Peter Fonda he had
fitted it with huge ape hanger handlebars and was determined to be the
personification of cool. The cool image was dented slightly when he
stopped outside the motor bike shop in Bounces Road, Edmonton for a
new, or at least less rusty, headlight surround, and couldn't lift it
onto its centre stand. He was stuck and had to enlist the help of the
small knot of Hells Angels hanging around outside. But I digress.

He'd also got himself an iron cross on a chain, which was the de rigeur
hard man biker accessory in those days. He was going north along the
A10 at about 60 mph when the iron cross suddenly flew into the air
stream. It spun wildly round and round until Steve was nearly
throttled. At this point, unable to spin further, it began flailing
madly, beating him about the face. It nearly had his eye out.
--
Dave...

Old January 17th 05, 11:55 PM
Mark Leuck

"Dave Larrington" wrote in message

[...]

I use a GPS although I also print out a few pages from Microsoft's Streets
and Trips, put them front and back in those thin clear plastic protectors
you can buy at department store and tuck several behind the seat of my
Baron, they are fairly easy to pull out while riding but harder to get back
in without folding/mangling etc but it does work and even when they are
folded they aren't easily damaged [1]

[1] any sloppy punctuation or missing periods or commas are to annoy Ed
Dolan and/or Tom Sherman

Old January 18th 05, 01:27 AM
Edward Dolan

"Mark Leuck" wrote in message

[...]

This is how it should have been written:

I use a GPS although I also print out a few pages from Microsoft's Streets
and Trips, put them front and back in those thin clear plastic protectors
you can buy at [a] department store and tuck several behind the seat of my
Baron. They are fairly easy to pull out while riding but harder to get
back
in without folding/mangling, etc., but it does work and even when they are
folded they aren't easily damaged. [1]

Elementary, my dear Watson!

--
Regards,