Pavement cyclist maims woman, grins and rides away.

Old April 23rd 15, 05:18 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
The Medway Handyman[_4_]

Default Pavement cyclist maims woman, grins and rides away.

On 23/04/2015 15:03, colwyn wrote:
On 23/04/2015 11:59, Tarcap wrote:

"Peter Keller" wrote in message ...
I hope the CCTV helps.
Did anyone take a photo of him as he was 'walking back' with his bicycle?
This is really bad.

Did anyone get his number plate? Oh, sorry, I forgot..........

Car cloning is the vehicle equivalent of identity theft. It is estimated
that there are as many as 10,000 cloned cars on our roads, but many
people are still unaware of the problem, and even the police admit they
don't know the true scale of it.

10,000 out of 28,000,000.

I wonder if cyclists would use such subterfuge?

Bound too. Bunch of lying toads.

Old April 23rd 15, 05:20 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
jnugent

On 23/04/2015 17:07, Ronnie wrote:
On 23/04/2015 16:52, JNugent wrote:
On 23/04/2015 16:38, Ronnie wrote:

On 23/04/2015 15:44, Mrcheerful wrote:
On 23/04/2015 15:03, colwyn wrote:
On 23/04/2015 11:59, Tarcap wrote:
"Peter Keller" wrote in message ...

I hope the CCTV helps.
Did anyone take a photo of him as he was 'walking back' with his
bicycle?
This is really bad.
Did anyone get his number plate? Oh, sorry, I forgot..........

Car cloning is the vehicle equivalent of identity theft. It is
estimated
that there are as many as 10,000 cloned cars on our roads, but many
people are still unaware of the problem, and even the police admit
they
don't know the true scale of it.
I wonder if cyclists would use such subterfuge?

I would guarantee that some would, it would be startling if some did
not, but it would help with the apprehension of at least some
offenders,
and hopefully the knowledge that the cyclist is traceable would improve
the cyclist's road behaviour and usage. Imagine how bad the roads
would
be if the vast majority of motor vehicles were as untraceable as
bicycles are at present.

"145 hit-and-run deaths prompt calls for action against illegal drivers"
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/ukne...l-drivers.html

It's about time it was made illegal to drive illegally. And about time
there was some means of identifying motor vehicles whose drivers are
acting illegally, illegally.

Totally agree, but until then, 99% of cyclists are riding *legally* on
the roads.

WHAT?

19% would be nearer the mark. In London in particular, the footway is
the place you'll find cyclists, particularly at junctions and in
pedestrian-only areas used as a cut-through.

If any aren't using lights at night, they should be punished
the same as any other road user in a vehicle.
Too often vehicles are let off for faulty or no lights....and I mean
motor vehicles as well as cyclists.

I'm much more philospohical about lights. As I've said before, everyone
will eventually drive or ride with a faulty light, because there's
nothing useful anyone can do to prevent a bulb from blowing. And
replacement is only an issue when it is known that the bulb has ceased
functioning.

As long as the lamp is changed promptly, it's all the law can
*reasonably* demand, in my opinion.

But that applies only to lighting systems which are present but faulty
because of a blown bulb. If a bike simply hasn't got lights and is still
being used during the hours of darkness (or has a lighting system which
isn't switched on), permanent confiscation of the machine would be an
entirely reasonable response.

Not enough coppers to catch them is the main problem, IMO.

Too many officers regarding egregious traffic behaviour as "proper
police work".
Old April 23rd 15, 05:20 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
The Medway Handyman[_4_]

[...]

Most are riding illegally on the pavements.

If any aren't using lights at night, they should be punished
the same as any other road user in a vehicle.

If you could trace them. Registration plates for cyclists would help.

Too often vehicles are let off for faulty or no lights....and I mean
motor vehicles as well as cyclists.
Not enough coppers to catch them is the main problem, IMO.

Certainly not enough coppers to apprehend all the law breaking cyclists.

Old April 23rd 15, 05:33 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
jnugent

On 23/04/2015 17:20, JNugent wrote:
[...]

Sorry: missed out a "not" from that last sentence.

Old April 23rd 15, 05:42 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Ronnie[_2_]

[...]

Or the 600,000 car drivers on the road without tax & insurance.
Old April 23rd 15, 05:50 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
jnugent

On 23/04/2015 17:42, Ronnie wrote:
[...]

That should be made illegal.

PS: How is that count done? Any idea?

Old April 23rd 15, 06:01 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Ronnie[_2_]

On 23/04/2015 17:50, JNugent wrote:
[...]

I think it's comparing the records of the DVLA with all of the insurance
companies records. A pure guess.
Old April 23rd 15, 07:14 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
jnugent

On 23/04/2015 18:01, Ronnie wrote:
[...]

It's not a good methodology.

I could drive a relative's uninsured car on my insurance and be legal.

I'm not saying that such arrangements are common, just that conclusions
drawn on the basis of such rough and ready comparisons are unreliable.

Old April 23rd 15, 07:33 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
MrCheerful

[...]

might just be vehicles where off road has not been declared, lets face
it, the dvla/police could not have a clue as to an actual number, not
even an estimate.
Old April 24th 15, 09:35 AM posted to uk.rec.cycling
The Medway Handyman[_4_]

[...]

Or 2%. 98% are taxed & insured. Registration plates work.