good cycling backpacks?

Old August 26th 04, 08:18 PM
Tim Howe

I have a vaude pack a timbuk2 courier bag. I like the courier bag
better because it places the weight lower and I just don't tend to be
a fan of backpacks. But if you do prefer backpacks then the vaude
works well. The mesh backpanel reduces the sweaty backpack effect
somewhat. and the frame and overall shape of the bag keeps it stable
while riding. The one I have (not sure which model, roughly small
normal backpack sized) is not ideally shaped for multiple large text
books. The frame is basically an arch shape to hold the mesh panel in
tension and the outer surface of the pack is similarly arched. So
large flat objects can require more packing effort than in a normal
flat bag. I can pack my messenger bag in the morning in about 30
seconds, it takes the better part of 2 minutes to pack the vaude.

I wish I could tell you where to buy one but I got mine on clearance
at an EMS several years ago and havn't seen them since. I know they
do have an online presence so if they accecpt returns I think they are
good enough it would be worth your time ordering one to take a look
at.

cheers

-Tim
(reply to but make the cold hot)
Old August 26th 04, 08:57 PM
Janaki L Jitchotvisut

On 26 Aug 2004, Tim Howe wrote:

[...]

Thanks for that, Tim! In searching through the rec.bicycles.misc
archives, I found mention of Vaude and looked them up, and found they do
still indeed exist, but I can't seem to find them listed in any stores in
the US. Some people had mentioned finding them at REI a few years ago,
but I'm getting the impression they aren't distributed in the US
anymore. However, I was considering them based on what I'd read, and if I
can find somewhere to buy them online (and some pricing information), I
might consider them as well---especially after hearing some personal
experiences with them.

Still leaning toward the Deuter Trans Alpine 30, but we'll
see.

Old August 26th 04, 09:01 PM
Actually34

I'm pleased with my Arkel backpack. It works well as a regular backpack, but
also clips on to the rear bike rack, which is handy when it is full of heavy
groceries or when it's hot and I don't want my back sweaty.

Old August 30th 04, 12:45 AM

Janaki wrote:

snip

This, of course, means I'm looking into a backpack. I've been reading
all I can about various backpacks/daypacks, and the problem I've
always had with using a regular sort of studenty backpack (such as a
standard leather-bottomed Jansport) is that my back gets horribly
sweaty, and the bag gets horribly sweaty, and if you throw the bag in
the washer, the waterproofing is ruined. When I purchased a laptop a
few years ago, I ended up also purchasing a Willow Designs pack, and
discovered the wonder of their harness with sternum and waist straps
that made their bag the most comfortable I've ever carried. I
promptly wrote them a gushing love letter, exclaiming over how I was
often finding myself loading my regular items *without* my laptop into
the bag and using it as a regular backpack, just because it did so
much good for my back. Still, it has that sweaty back problem.

For a fair sized load, I use an old US military Alice backpack with a
frame. Works wonders in keeping my back from sweating...

--

-TTFN

-Steven

Old August 30th 04, 12:45 AM

Janaki wrote:

[...]

published helmet research - not troll Frank Krygowski Social Issues 1716 October 24th 04 06:39 AM
FAQ Just zis Guy, you know? UK 27 September 5th 03 10:58 PM
Cycling in Paris Part 2 wafflyDIRTYcatLITTERhcsBOX UK 0 September 4th 03 09:57 PM