TV advertising (TdF)

Old July 16th 05, 08:16 AM
Simon Brooke

Default TV advertising (TdF)

TdF time is about the only time in the year I watch commercial TV, so
it's about the only time I see the adverts. Are they always this bad?

We have a yet another boring small car to sell you. Yes, it's just like
any other small car, but our one is yellow. Oh, and did we mention it's
ugly?

It's OK the first time. But by the time you've seen the same ugly boring
little car three times a night for a week, you want to kick in the
headlights of every bloody SEAT you see. And as for that /bloody/ woman
from the Royal Bank, has she /still/ not written her thesis on
behaviourism? She ought to spend less time talking to her stupid friends
and straightening her stupid name badge and get down to the library and
do some serious reading!

Wannabe a Web designer?
URL:http://userfriendly.org/cartoons/archives/97dec/19971206.html

Old July 16th 05, 09:24 AM
Just zis Guy, you know?

On Sat, 16 Jul 2005 08:16:48 +0100, Simon Brooke
wrote:

TdF time is about the only time in the year I watch commercial TV, so
it's about the only time I see the adverts. Are they always this bad?

Yes. Apparently...

Guy
http://www.chapmancentral.co.uk

88% of helmet statistics are made up, 65% of them at CHS, Puget Sound
Old July 16th 05, 10:00 AM

Simon Brooke wrote:
TdF time is about the only time in the year I watch commercial TV, so
it's about the only time I see the adverts. Are they always this bad?

The sheer repetition gets to you...my kids are going round chanting
'The Tour de France on ITV..sponsered by Michelob Ultra...' Aaaagh...

Paul

Old July 16th 05, 10:06 AM
Zog The Undeniable

Simon Brooke wrote:
TdF time is about the only time in the year I watch commercial TV, so
it's about the only time I see the adverts. Are they always this bad?

We have a yet another boring small car to sell you. Yes, it's just like
any other small car, but our one is yellow. Oh, and did we mention it's
ugly?

It's OK the first time. But by the time you've seen the same ugly boring
little car three times a night for a week, you want to kick in the
headlights of every bloody SEAT you see. And as for that /bloody/ woman
from the Royal Bank, has she /still/ not written her thesis on
behaviourism? She ought to spend less time talking to her stupid friends
and straightening her stupid name badge and get down to the library and
do some serious reading!

I hate the foodie one for M&S...

This isn't just an advert...This is a BORING ADVERT...
Old July 16th 05, 10:23 AM
MartinM

Zog The Undeniable wrote:
Simon Brooke wrote:
TdF time is about the only time in the year I watch commercial TV, so
it's about the only time I see the adverts. Are they always this bad?

We have a yet another boring small car to sell you. Yes, it's just like
any other small car, but our one is yellow. Oh, and did we mention it's
ugly?

It's OK the first time. But by the time you've seen the same ugly boring
little car three times a night for a week, you want to kick in the
headlights of every bloody SEAT you see. And as for that /bloody/ woman
from the Royal Bank, has she /still/ not written her thesis on
behaviourism? She ought to spend less time talking to her stupid friends
and straightening her stupid name badge and get down to the library and
do some serious reading!

I hate the foodie one for M&S...

what adverts?, I record it and then watch it later; actually condenses
down to about 35 mins, even less if you skip the extra travelogue and
documentary bits (which are however well worth seeing)
My reward for burning carbs is certainly not a weedy bottle of UK
brewed fizz!

Old July 16th 05, 10:27 AM
garryb59

wrote:

TdF time is about the only time in the year I watch commercial TV, so
it's about the only time I see the adverts. Are they always this bad?

We have a yet another boring small car to sell you. Yes, it's just like
any other small car, but our one is yellow. Oh, and did we mention it's
ugly?

It's OK the first time. But by the time you've seen the same ugly boring
little car three times a night for a week, you want to kick in the
headlights of every bloody SEAT you see. And as for that /bloody/ woman
from the Royal Bank, has she /still/ not written her thesis on
behaviourism? She ought to spend less time talking to her stupid friends
and straightening her stupid name badge and get down to the library and
do some serious reading!

Boy, take it easy angry man, save all that stress for something more
personally relevant! Adverts are not supposed to be watched and
remembered, the idea is: put kettle on; open next can of Guinness,
make quick phone call; water flowers; plug hoover in; visit WC, or
whatever needs to be done in 2 minutes. Living in a rabbit hutch, I
have the computer in the same room as the TV, and have developed the
fine art of moving ones head 10degrees to look at couch potatoe screen
no2 and read something on the internet. Works extremely well.

Garry

Old July 16th 05, 10:45 AM
wafflycat

wrote in message
oups.com...

Simon Brooke wrote:
TdF time is about the only time in the year I watch commercial TV, so
it's about the only time I see the adverts. Are they always this bad?

The sheer repetition gets to you...my kids are going round chanting
'The Tour de France on ITV..sponsered by Michelob Ultra...' Aaaagh...

Paul

In this house it's that Irish person, "Mickel O'Baltra"

Cheers, helen s ;-)

Old July 16th 05, 10:52 AM
wafflycat

"Zog The Undeniable" wrote in message

This isn't just an advert...This is a BORING ADVERT...

You haven't lived... err... been bored enough until you've seen the adverts
on Europort. On the plus side, some are adverts for items cycling but this
does not ddetract from their awfulness. Sidi shoes - the worst advert in the
history of advertising and Selle Italia saddles... The coffee machine advert
is well... there's not enough caffeine in any coffee to make this one
exciting. On the plus side, the adverts on Eurosport do seem to be shorter
than the ones on ITV2, and we should be grateful for small mercies

Cheers, helen s

Old July 16th 05, 11:17 AM
Mark Thompson

Adverts are not supposed to be watched and
remembered, the idea is: put kettle on; open next can of Guinness,
make quick phone call; water flowers; plug hoover in; visit WC, or
whatever needs to be done in 2 minutes.

It took me a while to work out why the romantic sub-plots in hollywood
movies were always so dire and completely superfluous to the plot.
Old July 16th 05, 12:26 PM
Jon Senior

garryb59 wrote:
Boy, take it easy angry man, save all that stress for something more
personally relevant! Adverts are not supposed to be watched and
remembered, the idea is: put kettle on; open next can of Guinness,
make quick phone call; water flowers; plug hoover in; visit WC, or
whatever needs to be done in 2 minutes. Living in a rabbit hutch, I
have the computer in the same room as the TV, and have developed the
fine art of moving ones head 10degrees to look at couch potatoe screen
no2 and read something on the internet. Works extremely well.

But they are one step ahead of you. In response to the number of viewers
who used the advert breaks to put kettles on, visit the toilet etc, they
increased the volume of the adverts so that you could hear them when out
of the room.

Jon

Cheap advertising? Perhaps. [email protected] Recumbent Biking 1 February 2nd 05 03:57 PM
How did this advertising rear its head in my post? yoopers Unicycling 18 February 1st 05 07:05 PM
Truth in advertising... tomblackwood Unicycling 2 July 3rd 04 12:36 PM
Advertising Vivian UK 21 April 26th 04 12:03 PM
advertising? Steve Watkin UK 57 April 21st 04 09:44 PM