Frame fit: which is more important - Frame height vs. top tube length?

Old July 8th 04, 07:11 PM
S o r n i

Default Frame fit: which is more important - Frame height vs. top tube length?

Wilbur Pan wrote:
I posted this on another bike forum, but I'm still casting for
opinions.

I'm looking to get my first road bike after many years of riding
mountain bikes. After much reading on these forums and on the web, I
think I have at least the basics of finding the proper frame size for
me.

Here's the issue I'm having. My inseam measured by the
book-jammed-into-my-crotch method is 76 cm. This gives me a frame size
of 50 cm. After trying out a number of road bikes in the 50-52 cm
range, I am finding that the most predictable measure as to whether I
felt comfortable on my test rides was actually top tube length. It
seems that I was most comfortable with frames with a 53.5 cm top tube
length (or effective top tube length, for compact/sloped top tube
bikes), almost irrespective of whether it was a 50 or 52 cm frame.

The reason I am bringing this up is that there don't appear to be many
50 cm frames with a top tube/effective top tube length of 53.5 cm. If
I go with a 52 cm frame, there are more options for me as far as top
tube length, but my standover clearance is down to about 1 cm. I
haven't noticed much difference in pedaling between the two sizes.

I know that I can get a longer stem, but an unsure as to how much
adding 1-1.5 cm to the stem will affect handling, or if that will
actually take care of the fit issue.

So should I:

1. Go with a 50 cm frame because that's the right frame for my inseam,
and get a longer stem, or

2. Go with a 52 cm frame so I don't have to worry about swapping out
the stem?

Definitely buy a bike that feels more comfortable to you; stand-over
clearance is way over-emphasized IMO -- especially for a road bike. (And
you /could/ go the 52 or 53 cm compact frame if really worried about it.)

Bill "and stop jamming that book up your crotch " S.

Old July 8th 04, 07:49 PM
Booker C. Bense

Old July 8th 04, 07:49 PM
Booker C. Bense

Old July 8th 04, 08:01 PM
Harris

Wilbur Pan wrote:
I posted this on another bike forum, but I'm still casting for
opinions.

Here's the issue I'm having. My inseam measured by the
book-jammed-into-my-crotch method is 76 cm. This gives me a frame size
of 50 cm.

Stop right there. For one thing, "frame size" or seat tube length can be
specified differently by different bike makers. Secondly, seat tube length
is not the best way to chose a frame.

After trying out a number of road bikes in the 50-52 cm
range, I am finding that the most predictable measure as to whether I
felt comfortable on my test rides was actually top tube length. It
seems that I was most comfortable with frames with a 53.5 cm top tube
length (or effective top tube length, for compact/sloped top tube
bikes), almost irrespective of whether it was a 50 or 52 cm frame.

Correct. Go for the right seat tube length.

The reason I am bringing this up is that there don't appear to be many
50 cm frames with a top tube/effective top tube length of 53.5 cm. If
I go with a 52 cm frame, there are more options for me as far as top
tube length, but my standover clearance is down to about 1 cm. I
haven't noticed much difference in pedaling between the two sizes.

That's passable, although I'd like to have 2 cm of clearance. Did you
check the standover in the cycling shoes you intend to wear?

I know that I can get a longer stem, but an unsure as to how much
adding 1-1.5 cm to the stem will affect handling, or if that will
actually take care of the fit issue.

In that size frame, I don't think you'd want to go longer than a 11cm
or 12 cm stem.

So should I:

1. Go with a 50 cm frame because that's the right frame for my inseam,
and get a longer stem, or

2. Go with a 52 cm frame so I don't have to worry about swapping out
the stem?

Go with the larger frame if it feels better. The larger frame will be less
prone to toe overlap, and will let you get the bars higher if you want.

Art Harris

Old July 8th 04, 08:55 PM
Harris

Harris wrote:

Correct. Go for the right seat tube length.

Oops. I meant "Go for the right top tube length."

Art Harris
Old July 8th 04, 08:55 PM
Harris

Old July 8th 04, 08:56 PM
Dion Dock

Choose by top tube. The only real worry with seat tube is you won't be able
to straddle the bike. As long as you're not hitting the frame when
standing, all is well.

On the other hand, if you have a really long top tube for the size, you
might find that it is difficult to get the stem as high as you might want.
However, a really odd size (54 x 50, etc.) is starting to demand a custom
bike.

-Dion

"Wilbur Pan" wrote in message
om...
[...]

By the way, getting a custom frame is way out of my budget at this
point in time.

Old July 8th 04, 09:33 PM
Drew Eckhardt

In article ,
Wilbur Pan wrote:
Here's the issue I'm having. My inseam measured by the
book-jammed-into-my-crotch method is 76 cm. This gives me a frame size
of 50 cm.

Note that LeMond's book specifies a center-to-center measurement,
with big tubes center-to-top can be 2cm more, and some companies
measure to the top of the seat collar.

--
a href="http://www.poohsticks.org/drew/"Home Page/a
Life is a terminal sexually transmitted disease.