Advertising

Old April 24th 04, 01:03 AM
Vivian

Default Advertising

I always wondered, why is there no advertising on bikes? The only
advertising I see is on cycling magazines, but not on mainstream TV and/or
radio. All I see is car adverts, some of them really good, I have to admit.
Do companies like Trek, Specialized, etc, don't have the money to spend on
advertising? I think that it would be a mean a major shift in the attitude
that the general public/establishment have towards cycling.

Where I come from (Uruguay, South America), advertising for bicycles used to
be very popular, really goood ads as well. The target were children, but at
least it's something, isnt' it? Now, due to the disastrous economy, people
are starting to cycle to work, but there's no infrastructure at all; no
cycling lanes, nothing. The local authorities want to start an educational
campaign for cyclists. Well, that's a start.

Anyway, that's my opinion.

Vivian
-------
"We learned more from a three minute record than we ever learned in school".
No Surrender

Old April 24th 04, 05:19 AM
Helen Deborah Vecht

"Vivian" typed

I always wondered, why is there no advertising on bikes?

Do you mean advertising *for* bikes? There's not much useful space *on*
bikes for any ads.

The only
advertising I see is on cycling magazines, but not on mainstream TV and/or
radio.

Not much money is spent on bikes. Advertising costs more than many firms
have and the ads might not hit the target audience.
I don't have a TV; nor do several cycling friends.
I don't listen to commercial radio either.

All I see is car adverts, some of them really good, I have to admit.

Much more money sloshes round cars.

Do companies like Trek, Specialized, etc, don't have the money to spend on
advertising?

Not at anything like the scale of cars or instant coffee etc.

I think that it would be a mean a major shift in the attitude
that the general public/establishment have towards cycling.

I remember some Raleigh TV commercials in the 1980s. They were
attractive but probably were ignored by most.

--
Helen D. Vecht:
Edgware.
Old April 24th 04, 07:44 AM
Doki

Helen Deborah Vecht wrote:

I think that it would be a mean a major shift in the attitude
that the general public/establishment have towards cycling.

I remember some Raleigh TV commercials in the 1980s. They were
attractive but probably were ignored by most.

I can remember ads for the Raleigh Activator when it came out, that must be
the early to mid 90s. I think the fact that not many people cycle in the UK,
combined with the odds of them taking up cycling on the grounds of a couple
of ads make TV advertising a bit pointless. You can be sure you'll get some
cyclists with an ad in a cycling magazine, but an ad in the middle of
Coronation Street is going be seen by ITV watching proles .

Old April 24th 04, 07:45 AM
[Not Responding]

On Sat, 24 Apr 2004 05:19:51 +0100, Helen Deborah Vecht
wrote:

"Vivian" typed

I always wondered, why is there no advertising on bikes?

Do you mean advertising *for* bikes? There's not much useful space *on*
bikes for any ads.

The only
advertising I see is on cycling magazines, but not on mainstream TV and/or
radio.

Not much money is spent on bikes. Advertising costs more than many firms
have and the ads might not hit the target audience.
I don't have a TV; nor do several cycling friends.
I don't listen to commercial radio either.

All I see is car adverts, some of them really good, I have to admit.

Much more money sloshes round cars.

I think I mentioned this stunning fact before. There was a recent
Economist article (now archived to subscribers only probably) that
said, in the US, General Motors spends over $4000 on advertising for
every car sold.

It's nice to think the motorists are subbing broadcasting and
publishing for the rest of us.

Old April 24th 04, 09:02 AM
Tony Raven

[Not Responding] wrote:

I think I mentioned this stunning fact before. There was a recent
Economist article (now archived to subscribers only probably) that
said, in the US, General Motors spends over $4000 on advertising for
every car sold.

General Motors is the top advertising spender at $2.3Bn out of total revenue
of about $200Bn. They sell about 1 million cars a year in the US. So
assuming their advertising is spent only on US cars it comes out at about
$2000 a car. However as you know, they sell cars outside the US and cars are
a small part of their overall business so that figure of $4000 is going to be
substantially wrong. I could beleive it if it was sales and marketing spend
and not advertising spend, but that is something altogether different.

Tony

Old April 24th 04, 10:03 AM
Andy Leighton

On Sat, 24 Apr 2004 05:19:51 +0100,
Helen Deborah Vecht wrote:
"Vivian" typed

The only
advertising I see is on cycling magazines, but not on mainstream TV and/or
radio.

Not much money is spent on bikes. Advertising costs more than many firms
have and the ads might not hit the target audience.
I don't have a TV; nor do several cycling friends.
I don't listen to commercial radio either.

Interestingly enough the local free paper had a small half page feature
trying to encourage people to ride a bike (for recreation) more now that
the good weather has returned and it was surrounded by adverts from the
L (and not quite L - Terry Wright and a place in Whaplode) BSes.

--
Andy Leighton =
- Robert Rankin, _They Came And Ate Us_
Old April 24th 04, 10:17 AM
Richard Bates

On Sat, 24 Apr 2004 01:03:41 +0100, "Vivian"
wrote:

I always wondered, why is there no advertising on bikes? The only
advertising I see is on cycling magazines, but not on mainstream TV and/or
radio. All I see is car adverts, some of them really good, I have to admit.
Do companies like Trek, Specialized, etc, don't have the money to spend on
advertising? I think that it would be a mean a major shift in the attitude
that the general public/establishment have towards cycling.

It is all subconscious: Whenever I see an advert trying to persuade me
to pay £15,000 for a car, I always remember how much better of I am on
my bike(s).

Old April 24th 04, 10:45 AM
Just zis Guy, you know?

wrote in message
:

Do you mean advertising *for* bikes? There's not much useful space *on*
bikes for any ads.

Pashley do bikes with advertising space on them ;-)

Not much money is spent on bikes.

Tell that to Mrs. Just Zis Guy!

The last bike I recall being advertised on TV (and it might be me
misremembering at that) was the Bickerton.

--
Guy
===

Old April 24th 04, 10:53 AM
Simonb

The last bike I recall being advertised on TV (and it might be me
misremembering at that) was the Bickerton.

BickertonBickertonBickertonBickertonBickertonBicke rtonBickertonBickertonBick
ertonBickertonBickertonBickertonBickertonBickerton BickertonBickertonBickerto
nBickertonBickertonBickertonBickerton

Old April 24th 04, 01:02 PM
Sky Fly

"Vivian" wrote in message
[...]

Interestingly enough, I remember during the final of the last TdF
that there were ads for *cars* during the commercial breaks.

off topic
Vivian, I don't hear much from Uruguay in the news - I know
that the economic woes in Argentina have had a knock on effect
on the life of Uruguayans, but generally, what *is* life like
in Uruguay?
/off topic

--
Akin