good cycling backpacks?

Old August 25th 04, 08:37 PM
Janaki

Default good cycling backpacks?

Hello,

For quite some time now, I've been riding a pretty standard Trek
Navigator 200 to and from the train station nearest my house every day
in order to commute to work. The main reason I wasn't taking my Trek
along with me on the train was that this particular train system
(Metra, in Illinois) only allows folding bikes, so I'd just lock up
the bike via the very nice and secure BikeBank my train station has,
and commute the rest of the way via a combination of Metra, CTA, and
of course my own two feet on pavement.

In recent time, I did a bunch of research and figured out exactly what
sort of time AND money I could save myself (in addition to getting
some nice exercise) by getting myself a folding bike and using a
combination of that and Metra in order to do my commute. In the end,
I decided upon a Dahon Piccolo D3, which has 16" wheels. (Some people
have issues with the ride comfort of 16" wheels, but as I'm not really
a very big person, they actually suit me just fine. It's also easier
for me to maneuver the bike when folded and inside its bag with the
smaller wheels, and I really like the handling and how tight and
precise it is.)

I was looking forward to exploring the wide world of quality
waterproof panniers for this bike, but unfortunately, the rack that
came with it sits right above the rear mudguard, and is thusly quite
low to the ground. Any panniers that would carry what I need to carry
(generally a lunch, my Polar Bottle filled with water, my CD player,
cell phone and a few other small accoutrements, a book, and any
textbooks or other papers I have from either school or work) are all
too big to work on my bike, and saddlebags and rack boxes are too
small to hold what I need. Since obtaining this bike, I've been
dropping ballast out of my "daily necessities" bag left and right, but
I can't get around the fact that as a full-time worker and part-time
student, I'm going to need to carry textbooks in addition to my daily
necessities, which automatically means I need something rather sturdy
and larger than anything other than some nice panniers or a backpack.

This, of course, means I'm looking into a backpack. I've been reading
all I can about various backpacks/daypacks, and the problem I've
always had with using a regular sort of studenty backpack (such as a
standard leather-bottomed Jansport) is that my back gets horribly
sweaty, and the bag gets horribly sweaty, and if you throw the bag in
the washer, the waterproofing is ruined. When I purchased a laptop a
few years ago, I ended up also purchasing a Willow Designs pack, and
discovered the wonder of their harness with sternum and waist straps
that made their bag the most comfortable I've ever carried. I
promptly wrote them a gushing love letter, exclaiming over how I was
often finding myself loading my regular items *without* my laptop into
the bag and using it as a regular backpack, just because it did so
much good for my back. Still, it has that sweaty back problem.

As it stands, I seem to be deciding between Ortlieb and Deuter. I've
been reading promising things about Vaude searching through previous
threads in this forum; are they still sold in the US? REI doesn't
seem to stock them anymore, which is where most people who've spoken
of them in this forum seem to have obtained them.

I haven't had an opportunity to try Ortlieb or Deuter daypacks in
person, and think it far more likely that I'll be able to try a Deuter
bag out before buying than an Ortlieb.

The thing I like most about the Ortlieb packs is how completely
waterproof they are. The suspension/ventilation system on the back
looks okay, but the thing that's pushing me into looking more closely
at the Deuter packs is in fact their suspension/ventilation systems.

Any advice, particularly from people who've got one/both of these? I
haven't tied myself down to a specific model from either brand,
although I'm leaning toward the X-Cursion if I do go with Ortlieb.
Many Deuter bags have the added bonus of a hydration system, which is
also something interesting and new for me to consider. It's not
absolutely necessary with the sort of commute I do now, but I would
like to go explore trails around where I live (on my non-folding bike)
at some point in the not-too-distant future, so that could come in
very handy indeed.
Old August 25th 04, 09:21 PM
Bob Wheeler

Have you considered securing a standard backpack to the seatpost with
bungee cords? With a bit of fiddling, I'm sure I could construct a
stable package resting on the rack.

--
Bob Wheeler --- http://www.bobwheeler.com/
ECHIP, Inc. ---

Old August 25th 04, 09:38 PM
Janaki L Jitchotvisut

Currently, I've got a bag I've been lashing onto the rack via some very
strong buckles (with nice red reflectors on) and nylon straps; one goes
through the top handle of the bag and through the saddle loops, and two
more go through the straps on the bag and bits of the back of the rack.

The problem with this system is that it's not fast enough. There are SQR
bags that Carradice makes that would be very quick, but they're not big
enough.

Hence, going back to a backpack, but trying to go with one more suited to
my needs than what I've currently got.

Old August 25th 04, 09:48 PM
Leo Lichtman

"Bob Wheeler" wrote Have you considered securing a standard backpack to the
seatpost with bungee cords?
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
And possibly supplemented by hanging a briefcase or other bag over the front
of the handlebars. I did that once on my 16" Dahon, and it seemed to work
well.
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Randomness comes in bunches.
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Punctuated randomness?

Old August 25th 04, 09:57 PM
Janaki L Jitchotvisut

Well, besides the issue of meaning for this bike to save me time (and I do
have train schedules to take into account as well), another reason I'm
trying to get away from my current way of carrying stuff on my Dahon
(which I mentioned in my response to Bob Wheeler) is that the bag I'm
currently using is a bit much for my arm to handle. I've discovered
through trial and error that I don't like handheld bags/briefcases much,
because with the loads I tend to carry, they absolutely kill my arms. I
also don't care much for one-shoulder-type bags, because all I've tried
aren't very comfortable. Backpacks generally are more comfortable for me,
and refinements such as a good suspension/ventilation system and sternum
and waist straps would only make them moreso---hence my initial question.

Thanks for the suggestion, but it wouldn't quite work for me.

Old August 25th 04, 11:39 PM
Colin Swift

Hi,

Got the Deuter racer x air II myself when I decided to finally give up on
the train altogether and cycle the full 60Km return journey to/from work (I
used to take the train in and cycle home!). Works for me, nice light bag and
my back is well ventilated so doesn't get too sweaty. Has loads of pockets
for phone etc and will accomodate their hydratiuon system (which I haven't
tried). A worthwhile investment I think!

Regards

Colin.

snip

Old August 26th 04, 12:00 AM
David Reuteler

Colin Swift wrote:
Got the Deuter racer x air II myself

second that. i gave mine to my sister but it's an excellent backpack,
definitely best in class.
--
david reuteler

Old August 26th 04, 02:19 AM
mark

Instead of a backpack, you might want to consider a courier bag. I find
that they sit lower on my body than a backpack, they don't constrict my
breathing as much as a backpack, and they are distinctly more comfortable
than a backpack in my own riding position. Mine rides on the back of my
hipbone when I ride, reducing sweaty back to a manageable level, and putting
less strain on my back muscles.

Patagonia makes several really nice models, the Critical Mass has ample room
for books, a laptop, extra clothing, etc., along with a water bottle pocket
on the outside. It has an excellent suspension

If the Critical Mass isn't big enough for you, there are a couple of
Canadian companies selling bags for bicycle couriers on the web. "Push The
EnVELOpe" and PAC Designs are two that I know of, they both make extremely
rugged bags that are big enough to hold a small child.

www.pushtheenvelope.com
www.pacdesigns.com
www.patagonia.com

HTH,
--
mark

Old August 26th 04, 02:27 AM
Mike Schwab

I am considering getting panniers for my EZ-1 from
http://www.easyracers.com/ez_1_sc.htm and is has 16 and 20 inch wheels.
These might be the right size for your bike. Should you find a dealer
who sells the bike and would order the panniers and let you try them
that would be excellent.

Also, you might try talking to "Robert J. Matter" rjmatter @
PRODIGY.NET at Daley Plaza on the last friday of the month between
530pm and 600pm. He owns two folding bikes, and is president(?) of the
Chicago Folding Bike Society which meets twice a month at the Handlebar
(owned by bicyclists who met at group rides) at 2311(?) W North.
Bearded and likes yellow shirts for visibility. (Yellow shirt not
guaranteed). He is also leading efforts to allow bicycles on Metra and
to depave LSD Lake Shore Drive.

Then at 600pm, a group ride will start. With the thunderstorns in the
area, I would expect a small number of cyclists, under 1,000. When I
went April 30, it was raining and that was about how many we had.

Old August 26th 04, 04:52 AM
Collin

mark wrote:
[...]

If you go the courier bag route, I really like my Timbuktu messenger
bag. They come in fours sizes, and believe me, you do not need the big
one! I handle the laptop problem by placing the computer in a laptop
sleeve. However, since you have textbooks I would not really recommend
the courier bag. Backpacks hold everything together quite well and
prevent the contents from shifting. The advantage to the messnger bag
is just what makes it bad for textbooks: it's just one big pocket where
you can shove everything.

published helmet research - not troll Frank Krygowski Social Issues 1716 October 24th 04 06:39 AM
FAQ Just zis Guy, you know? UK 27 September 5th 03 10:58 PM
Cycling in Paris Part 2 wafflyDIRTYcatLITTERhcsBOX UK 0 September 4th 03 09:57 PM