NY Marathon 06.

Old November 5th 06, 07:23 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling

Default NY Marathon 06.

Read an article by Steve Cram today who was worried about Lance
Armstrong in today's marathon.
Cram finished at 3682 place in 3-27-26.
Armstrong came in 870 at 2-59-36
and the husband of Paula Radcliffe (Gary Lough) came in a fantastic 159
at 2-41-51.

Old November 5th 06, 08:44 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling

Don Whybrow wrote:

So, champion middle distance runner from the '80s can't keep up with
champion long distance cyclist from the '00s in a long distance event. I
see nothing unusual in that.

Does the article say why Steve was worried about Lance?

Personal pride by the looks of it.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/athletics/6100730.stm

He said he was going to "jog around" with Gary Lough, but ended up 45
minutes behind him and nearly half an hour behind Armstrong. :-)

Old November 5th 06, 10:52 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Alan Wilson

Read the Article yesterday. Cram came across as quite snobbish and
sneering. And I quote:

"So now I am committed to racing I just have to make sure I beat him
(Armstrong). It's quite something going into a race knowing I have to beat a
cyclist"

"If I do end up hobbling round, I've got to keep an eye out for him coming
past me in the last few miles." - hobble already going for the sympathy
vote. Gets the excuse in early!

Mind you Armstrong had Alberto Salazar, Joan Benoit Samuelson and Hicham El
Guerrouj, as pace-makers. Just making sure I guess!

Regards

AW

Nice to see Crammy's predictions are up to his usual commentator standard.
ups.com...

Old November 6th 06, 01:41 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Bronzie

On Nov 5, 7:23 pm, " wrote:
Armstrong came in 870 at 2-59-36

Interesting to read Armstrong's comments after the event:

"That was without a doubt the hardest physical thing I've ever done,"
he added. "In 20 years of pro sports, endurance sports, from
triathlons to cycling, all the Tours, even the worst days in the Tours,
nothing was as hard as that, and nothing left me feeling the way I feel
now in terms of just sheer fatigue and soreness."

Can he really mean it or is he still playing mind games with Jan
Ullrich? ;-)

Old November 6th 06, 02:14 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Tony Raven

Bronzie wrote on 06/11/2006 13:41 +0100:

Interesting to read Armstrong's comments after the event:

"That was without a doubt the hardest physical thing I've ever done,"
he added. "In 20 years of pro sports, endurance sports, from
triathlons to cycling, all the Tours, even the worst days in the Tours,
nothing was as hard as that, and nothing left me feeling the way I feel
now in terms of just sheer fatigue and soreness."

Can he really mean it or is he still playing mind games with Jan
Ullrich? ;-)

Different sport different muscles. Although he will have the
cardiovascular fitness the muscles he is using for running will not have
had the advantage of being built up over many years of training and it
will show. Probably more so because he expects to be fit and goes at it
harder.

--
Tony

- Leonardo da Vinci

Los Angeles Marathon ThisGuyIKnow Unicycling 5 February 23rd 06 09:41 PM
Marathon Record deadlydes Unicycling 13 November 7th 05 10:56 PM
Seen at the marathon John Hearns UK 4 April 17th 05 09:25 PM
42 k marathon Doesnotcompute UK 7 February 12th 05 03:24 AM