External BB bearings...

Old April 9th 06, 03:06 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

Default External BB bearings...

Ok, I asked this earlier and I didn't get a response, so maybe it can't
be done?

My question is can the bearings be replaced in the external BB type
cups, like ShimaNO DA? Has anyone done this? It seems they are just
press fitted in the cups?

Anyone?
Old April 9th 06, 07:05 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

Jamie wrote:
Ok, I asked this earlier and I didn't get a response, so maybe it
can't be done?

My question is can the bearings be replaced in the external BB type
cups, like ShimaNO DA? Has anyone done this? It seems they are just
press fitted in the cups?

Anyone?

Is anybody else concerned about the ease of stripping out/off the external
rounded tool-interface splines on the external BB shell? Why aren't these
squared off?
--
Phil, Squid-in-Training

Old April 9th 06, 07:10 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

2 reasons I can think of:

1. Easier to machine the semi-circle than squaring off.
2. Less chance of a stress riser.

cel

"Phil, Squid-in-Training" wrote in
message news:6u1_f.228$ZW3.78@dukeread04...

Old April 9th 06, 02:39 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

Jamie wrote:
Ok, I asked this earlier and I didn't get a response, so maybe it can't
be done?

My question is can the bearings be replaced in the external BB type
cups, like ShimaNO DA? Has anyone done this? It seems they are just
press fitted in the cups?

Anyone?

yes they can with far superior Phil bearings. Phil also has a tool kit
to do same. For truvativ, shimano and FSA BBs...

Old April 9th 06, 02:40 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

Jamie wrote:
Ok, I asked this earlier and I didn't get a response, so maybe it
can't be done?

My question is can the bearings be replaced in the external BB type
cups, like ShimaNO DA? Has anyone done this? It seems they are just
press fitted in the cups?

Anyone?

Is anybody else concerned about the ease of stripping out/off the external
rounded tool-interface splines on the external BB shell? Why aren't these
squared off?
--
Phil, Squid-in-Training

No, use the right tool, like the park one or XTR/DA one.

Old April 13th 06, 06:57 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

Jamie wrote:
Ok, I asked this earlier and I didn't get a response, so maybe it can't
be done?

My question is can the bearings be replaced in the external BB type
cups, like ShimaNO DA? Has anyone done this? It seems they are just
press fitted in the cups?

Anyone?

Thanks to everyone for the input! Great info...I just knew someone had
to make a tool to do that! Sweet.